Tissue Valve Longevity Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1952

I keep hearing and reading that tissue valves tend to last longer in older patients than in younger patients. Is this an "urban legend" or is there some data that explains this theory?
Could it be older patients are more sedentary, therefore, less hard on their tissue valves?

Younger patients have more robust and active immune systems and metabolisms that calcify the tissue valves quicker. Older patients have immune systems that are less responsive and are not so quick to deposit calcium on the valves. I don't think it has anything to do with a more sedentary lifestyle.

The doctors/surgeons cannot tell us exactly how long we can expect our tissue valves to last but based upon the years of experience with the previous generation/earlier models and considering the improvements made, many surgeons predict people in the range of sixty years and older would not be unrealistic to think they may get 18-20 years from a tissue valve. They make educated estimates based on previous history. Some surgeons say they would not be shocked for valves in otherwise healthy people to last up to 25 years.

It is definitely not urban legend that patients approaching 60 years and older will likely get longer use from their tissue valves. My surgeon indicated sedentary lifestyle of 60 year olds was not the factor..... it was more as described in the post above. Many people in that age range are far from sedentary.

Hi Mike,

I concur with the above posts. Calcification is typically thought of as one of the main ways a tissue valve degrades over time. Just to add my two bits, you can visit the Edwards Lifesciences’ website and see how your newer generation bovine valve has improved chemical treatments that they claim will help fight calcification. It’s fairly accepted that younger folks “tend” to calcify at a somewhat faster rate. But that’s not always the case, as I think as individuals we also have some variation in how much our bodies calcify. So a guy like me in his fifties could actually calcify faster than a similar tissue valve owner in his forties. But I believe on average, those 60 and over do tend to calcify relatively slower.

Being under 60, I told myself that I’d be very satisfied if I got 15 years before my aortic tissue valve needed replacing, and if my next valve is able to be inserted percutaneously then that would just be icing on the cake. I’ve heard that it’s possible I could get 20+ years (not jail time, but tissue valve time). That’s a good vote of confidence! But I also know there are no guarantees. It just seems inherently hard to predict, and in general I try to be positive. But I have a bit of a mitral valve issue that crept into my last echo that may or may not need to be dealt with in the future, so for me, if for some odd reason I end up needing mitral valve surgery before my aortic valve wears out then I think it’s all moot :). I feel very healthy otherwise, and my mitral valve may keep on trucking as long as I live. I’m still pleased with my decision to choose tissue, as it seems the best fit for me personally.

Thanks, Guys! Just wondering. I'm happy with my tissue valve decision. I thought maybe I needed to be more careful with it, possibly. The whole ordeal hasn't been so bad for me, luckily. Discovered in June and we decided pretty quickly to get it done ASAP so my worrying and stress was pretty short lived, in retrospect. In a way, it is better now knowing I will be keeping a close eye on the heart every year with an ultrsound!

Your cardiologist will probably want to do an echocardiogram annually to assess valve function. If your valve starts to calcify, the echo study will show that. I chose a tissue valve at the age of 41. My body calcified it within 8 years and I just had it replaced with a mechanical valve at the age of 49. In my case, the surgeon concluded that for some unknown reason, my body calcifies tissue valves quicker than average (even when you take age into account). For that reason, my surgeon felt that if we put in another tissue valve this time, we would probably have to do it again at least 2 more times in my lifetime. I decided that two AVR surgeries was enough. It was the annual echo study and changes in how I felt during exercise that tipped us off that another AVR surgery was going to be needed. I don't regret either valve choice I made.

Thanks Mike for bringing up the subject! I also have a tissue valve and wonder about the age thing as well.

Does anyone know if calcium supplements increase the risk of tissue valve calcification?

Rachel

Rachel,

It's a worthwhile question for your cardiologist and/or surgeon. When I met with my surgeon to plan the surgery to replace my calcified bovine tissue valve, the first question he asked was "so, did you take a lot of calcium supplements"? He was trying to figure out why my valve calcified after only 8 years. I told him I had not taken a lot of calcium supplements nor used a lot of calcium-based antacids (Tums). We decided my valve calcified for an unknown reason that probably had something to do with my age (received the valve at age 41) and my metabolism.

Thanks for your response Guyswell, but I'm so sorry to hear that your valve calcified after 8 years! I think I'm understanding that the answer to the tissue longevity question is: "under 60, no one really knows!" We're all so different. Age under 60 does seem to be a factor, and if metabolism is a part of it, I guess I may have finally found one positive thing about having an under active thyroid!

I do happen to take calcium supplements as I was diagnosed with osteopenia which I think is common to women of my age (47) but it may also be a precursor to osteoporosis.

For the record, so far I am happy with my decision to go tissue and fully prepared to undergo another surgery when the time comes (hopefully at least 15 years from now). But I have to say that if mine calcifies quickly, I would also go mechanical like you did Guyswell.

Rachel

Rachel,

It's a worthwhile question for your cardiologist and/or surgeon. When I met with my surgeon to plan the surgery to replace my calcified bovine tissue valve, the first question he asked was "so, did you take a lot of calcium supplements"? He was trying to figure out why my valve calcified after only 8 years. I told him I had not taken a lot of calcium supplements nor used a lot of calcium-based antacids (Tums). We decided my valve calcified for an unknown reason that probably had something to do with my age (received the valve at age 41) and my metabolism.

Jkm7 fortunately started a parallel thread on this specific issue: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?40835-Bovine-Valves-and-Calcium.

I'll let that thread take over the calcium discussion, but did want to chime in on the lifespan of your first replacement valve, Guyswell. Sadly, some folks are lucky and some or not relative to tissue valve longevity. Now, luck of course has really nothing to do with it. There I'm sure is a very reasonable explanation why you got 8 years, instead of 10, or 12, or 15, or even 6 for that matter. The problem is that no one can explain it, though, since the calcification process is so complicated, affected by so many variables, and every individual body interacts differently anyway with any specific prosthetic valves.

For what it is worth, the "official" (posted on Edwards website) 20 year results on the Perimount indicated that in patients age 60 and up, replacement was necessary in some patients (less than 5%) between 6 years and 10 years. So, somewhere there was a 60 year old (or older) that didn't even reach your longevity at age 41. There are just no guarantees for any age unfortunately, although there are at least strong probababilities.

By the way, I'm curious...did you have the Perimount? If I'm remembering my dates correctly, I think the Magna with the newer ThermaFix treatment was only hitting the market probably right after your surgery. There are only 8 years of treatment with that "new" valve, and no official results, but it will obviously be interesting to see how the two compare someday. Hopefully we won't hear about any Magna - ThermaFix replacements here for quite some time, though! (since that would mean someone got less than 8 years out of it)

Jkm7 fortunately started a parallel thread on this specific issue: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?40835-Bovine-Valves-and-Calcium.

I'll let that thread take over the calcium discussion, but did want to chime in on the lifespan of your first replacement valve, Guyswell. Sadly, some folks are lucky and some or not relative to tissue valve longevity. Now, luck of course has really nothing to do with it. There I'm sure is a very reasonable explanation why you got 8 years, instead of 10, or 12, or 15, or even 6 for that matter. The problem is that no one can explain it, though, since the calcification process is so complicated, affected by so many variables, and every individual body interacts differently anyway with any specific prosthetic valves.

For what it is worth, the "official" (posted on Edwards website) 20 year results on the Perimount indicated that in patients age 60 and up, replacement was necessary in some patients (less than 5%) between 6 years and 10 years. So, somewhere there was a 60 year old (or older) that didn't even reach your longevity at age 41. There are just no guarantees for any age unfortunately, although there are at least strong probababilities.

By the way, I'm curious...did you have the Perimount? If I'm remembering my dates correctly, I think the Magna with the newer ThermaFix treatment was only hitting the market probably right after your surgery. There are only 8 years of treatment with that "new" valve, and no official results, but it will obviously be interesting to see how the two compare someday. Hopefully we won't hear about any Magna - ThermaFix replacements here for quite some time, though! (since that would mean someone got less than 8 years out of it)

Do you have a link handy to that edwards page? Ive read a few so dont know if that says why they needed replaced, calcified (which I think is a very confusing name which just causes more problems..since it isnt really calcium, but a combo of tings Apatite, that usuall is needed for bones and teeth) or how many were explanted because of BE, PPM, poor stitches etc) so thought instead of searching Id just ask

back to the main question, NO it is not just an urban myth that tissue valves tend to last longer in older, generally classified as over 60-65 than "younger" people. Altho under 60 is a really big basket since the chances of someone 59 having their valve last 20 or more years is MUCH higher than someone in their 20, 30s.

Speaking of Apatite (Bob- tobog has written lots of good posts about "calcified and apatite) One thing I've heard and discussed with several doctors over the years, is its possible that how quickly a tissue valve will "calcify" and why the usually last so much longer in people 60 and up than 20s, and makes sense to me, is the bodies ability to grow and heal broken bones and bone density plays a large role in it.
In Children thru teens when the body is making alot of bones and teeth, and producing the material needed, is the age groups that usually go thru valves or conduits relativey quickly, this is also the age groups that usually broken bones heal the quickest and bones are very dense. Then 20s-40 s usually still heal broken bones pretty easily, quickly and tissue valves tend to last longer than childen growing bones, but not as long as people in their 50s -60s who start having done density issues, broken bones start to take longer to heal .... Of course some of the times Children need their valve or conduit replaced is simply because they outgrew it, but i dont see that oftne mentioned often in the younger go thru valves quickly articles
Then usually but of course not always people in thier late 60s and up start being n the age group that broken bones can take a while to heal, osteo is more common and they tend to have tissue valve that lastt longer and longer.

Rachel i was thinking of this when I read your thread, I would "think" being diagnosed with osteopenia MIGHT be a "good sign a tissue valve would last longer for you, but then again i have NO idea and dont recall reading anywhere if /how the meds like fosamex would affect the valves. and again this is all just MY thoughts

I also was wondering, since I often wonder what all is discussed when doctors discuss "valve choice" with different patients and what conditions the bring up, that might put a type of valve in the pro or con column. For example I have a bad back and need to get spinal blocks a couple times a year. Now i'm not a heart patient, but spinal blocks are one of the times you have to stop Coumadin for a few days or bridge, which beside being a PIA also puts you more at risk for clots/bleeds, but I never or rarely hear anyone say they they were advised to get a tissue valve because they get a lot of spinal blocks.

Also can I ask you were you diagnosed with osteopenia before your heart surgery? If so was that brought up or considered at all in your choice, since it has been discovered in the past few years that Vit k plays a role in bone density and since Coumadin is a vit K angtagonist that can block Vit K from doing what is needed to keep your bones healthy, maybe i ishould be avoided if possible or was it decided it didnt make much difference in the long run

sorry to go offtrack

Last edited:
Do you have a link handy to that edwards page? Ive read a few so dont know if that says why they needed replaced, calcified (which I think is a very confusing name which just causes more problems..since it isnt really calcium, but a combo of tings Apatite, that usuall is needed for bones and teeth) or how many were explanted because of BE, PPM, poor stitches etc) so thought instead of searching Id just ask

Lyn - You can find it here: http://www.edwards.com/products/heartvalves/Pages/PERIMOUNTAortic.aspx and you will just need to click on Clinical Communique on the right. Or the more direct route, just follow this link and save a step: http://ht.edwards.com/resourcegallery/products/heartvalves/pdfs/clinicalcommuniqueaortic.pdf.

It's just a summary of the data, not all the data, but I used the word "official" because every Edwards publication, news release, etc that I've seen with a valve stat thrown in has come directly from these numbers. To their credit, and I guess also their benefit, the Freedom from Explant numbers are limited to structural valve deterioration only. As you allude to, though, many studies have done a very poor job of tracking valve replacement on a consistent (to other studies) basis, often lumping in other reasons for replacement like those you mention, but in an inconsistent manner.

By the way, while on the subject of the limited availability of Edwards data...I've made a similar point previously: Edwards seems to use the same source for all of their valve results: "Data on file at Edwards Lifesciences." :rolleyes2: Now, if only we had an Edwards employee among us...

Like Guy, I initially had a tissue valve and for me it lasted only 6 years before it started to deteriorate and I held out until 9 years before my second OHS. I'm now three years with a mechanical valve. I like it a lot and expect it to outlast me :)

Rachel i was thinking of this when I read your thread, I would "think" being diagnosed with osteopenia MIGHT be a "good sign a tissue valve would last longer for you, but then again i have NO idea and dont recall reading anywhere if /how the meds like fosamex would affect the valves. and again this is all just MY thoughts

I also was wondering, since I often wonder what all is discussed when doctors discuss "valve choice" with different patients and what conditions the bring up, that might put a type of valve in the pro or con column. For example I have a bad back and need to get spinal blocks a couple times a year. Now i'm not a heart patient, but spinal blocks are one of the times you have to stop Coumadin for a few days or bridge, which beside being a PIA also puts you more at risk for clots/bleeds, but I never or rarely hear anyone say they they were advised to get a tissue valve because they get a lot of spinal blocks.

Also can I ask you were you diagnosed with osteopenia before your heart surgery? If so was that brought up or considered at all in your choice, since it has been discovered in the past few years that Vit k plays a role in bone density and since Coumadin is a vit K angtagonist that can block Vit K from doing what is needed to keep your bones healthy, maybe i ishould be avoided if possible or was it decided it didnt make much difference in the long run

sorry to go offtrack

Hi Lyn,

Just wanted to thank you for your informative post and to respond to your question. I was diagnosed with osteopenia before my heart surgery but I don't really know if my doctor took that into consideration when suggesting the tissue valve. I hate to say this, but at the time I was more concerned about my aneurysm than my valve and so when I made the valve choice decision, I put my trust in my surgeon. However, I'm very happy with the tissue valve and I think it was a good decision in my case.

back to the main question, NO it is not just an urban myth that tissue valves tend to last longer in older, generally classified as over 60-65 than "younger" people. Altho under 60 is a really big basket since the chances of someone 59 having their valve last 20 or more years is MUCH higher than someone in their 20, 30s.

Speaking of Apatite (Bob- tobog has written lots of good posts about "calcified and apatite) One thing I've heard and discussed with several doctors over the years, is its possible that how quickly a tissue valve will "calcify" and why the usually last so much longer in people 60 and up than 20s, and makes sense to me, is the bodies ability to grow and heal broken bones and bone density plays a large role in it.
In Children thru teens when the body is making alot of bones and teeth, and producing the material needed, is the age groups that usually go thru valves or conduits relativey quickly, this is also the age groups that usually broken bones heal the quickest and bones are very dense. Then 20s-40 s usually still heal broken bones pretty easily, quickly and tissue valves tend to last longer than childen growing bones, but not as long as people in their 50s -60s who start having done density issues, broken bones start to take longer to heal .... Of course some of the times Children need their valve or conduit replaced is simply because they outgrew it, but i dont see that oftne mentioned often in the younger go thru valves quickly articles
Then usually but of course not always people in thier late 60s and up start being n the age group that broken bones can take a while to heal, osteo is more common and they tend to have tissue valve that lastt longer and longer.

I think we're back on track here for Mike!

Rachel

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back