Tips you might want to consider ......

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkm7

Having been through two OHS in four years, one of the most valuable and helpful things I learned was to speak up.

If you have a concern, let your nurse/doctor/therapist....whomever know. If you don't understand, ask again. If that person does not give you an answer your find acceptable, ask to speak with someone else.

If you are in pain, let them know.
If you do or do not want to agree to a procedure, suggestion, treatment..... speak up.

Many of us become humble, strive to be ultra cooperative (not a bad thing) and don't want to make any waves but you are your own best advocate.

Some here feel a family member/friend should be with them 24/7 while in the hospital. I never subscribed to that but I always felt secure to speak for myself. If you do not feel you are alert or aware enough to speak for yourself, consider having a family member but give it lots of thought. The thing you need most in the hospital post op is rest. If you have someone with you, the tendency is to chat, watch tv together or whatever. You need whatever sleep you can get.

When I was first in the OR my second surgery, they started putting in all sorts of lines etc I spoke up and asked "Do I really have to be awake while you do all this?" No response at all...... but I was immediately put out with one drug or another. I was so happy when I woke and remembered I had saved myself that discomfort and stress. Speak up.

Of course, you'll always want to be polite and appreciative but never be silent if you have something you wish to request/refuse.

For someone who has never been hospitalized, it is a huge experience and this is a tough surgery from which to just be 'learning'. Hope this helps.

Jkm I am of the same view as you having had 2 OHS in 7 years.
Some here feel a family member/friend should be with them 24/7 while in the hospital. I never subscribed to that but I always felt secure to speak for myself.
Informed consent is required. If you are conscious all procedures should be explained to you and consented to before given, unless it is an emergency.
I was never in a situation where I didn't understand what was going on once explained.
All I wanted to do was go home after both surgeries once out of intensive care, sleep in a regular hospital ward is imposable when sharing a ward with elderly patients that have dementia and go crazy after dark.

Back