time to restore heart rate and blood pressure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danguy

Hello,

3 monthes after the surgery, my blood pressure is about 105/85 (notice the small difference between the two numbers), and my heart ration is mostly between 90 and 100. How long after the surgery you had normal bp and (120/75 or so) and hr (70-80)?

Hi Dan-

From memory my HR didn't return to it's normal resting level (under 60) until about six months post-op, which I attribute mostly to the fact that I wasn't allowed to do as much exercise as I'd like until three months post-op so it took time to regain my fitness. I never paid much attention to my BP, it was low pre-op and low post-op and remains that way so I'm happy!

Is your cardiologist concerned about your BP and HR numbers? 90-100 seems a bit high to me but I'm not a doctor. :)

Hey Dan,

My BP has always been at a normal range as far as me and my GP have been concerned. I know my cardio wanted it a bit lower while the healing is going on. Its been at 115/75 as of lately but has been as high as 125/85 early recovery. I remember coming home from surgery with a HR of 80 bpm at rest, at 4 months into recover it dropped down to 60 bpm at rest. Maybe as I was able to workout a bit better, breaking into a good sweat. I think yours will drop in time also, just keep up the cardio. Some days I felt the heart was being stubborn, but it does get better. Take care.

Hi Dan,

My resting HR after surgery was close to yours - about 90 and it didn't take much for it to get up to 120 (a slow walk would do it) but my HR came down to around 48-60 range and I think it took me about 6 months to get it there. I agree with Ski Girl in that I think mine went down only after I was able to get back to running.

My blood pressure was super low all the time after surgery (even after eating salty pretzels) at about 80/50 - now it's still about 80/50 in the morning, but it averages around 100/60 most the time.

Give it time, I was really worried about my HR and BP as well and I was told that it was normal after valve replacement.

Rachel

Heart rate stays around 90 for me and easily goes up. Rehab, Primary Care, Surgeon and Cardiologist don't seem too worried about it so I guess I won't worry either. 14 weeks post surgery

danguy, I am one week post op today. I too am worried about my resting hr. Seems to stay between 89 and 99. Seems like it is a post operative thing we have to live with until we get our stamina up. I try to take deep breaths if I become too anxious about it. It seems to go down a few points then. It is a little frustrating to me not to be able to do more than I think I can. Body just won't let me. Patience is not a virtue of mine. Keep going and be strong. We will get better sooner rather than later!

When I started rehab at nearly three months out, my resting heart rate was 100, which seemed to concern the rehab people. Three months later, it was down to about 65. My blood pressure was 140 over 55 going in to surgery, but I believe it was 120 over 75 when I started rehab at three months, and remains around there today. Any thoughts on why your diastolic pressure is higher now than before? A systolic of 105 is certainly nothing to worry about if you aren't fainting! My very fit and healthy wife has had a BP of 100 over 70 as long as I've known her. I figure that she's just efficient. Her resting pulse is in the 50s too. She'll probably live to be a hundred, since she seems to be gentle on her cardiovascular equipment.

Latest posts

Back