Thumping heart really bugging me

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

I am now 22 days since surgery and went into A-fib on my second day home(Feb 22). The constant heart throbbing that goes right up to me ears was getting to me and I was hoping my cardio version that happened yesterday was going to fix it. Well now I am back in normal rhythm but heart thumping is still trublesome. When I first get up and until around 2:00 pm I don't notice it as much but late afternoon and into the night it gets worse. Only thing that dampens it down is a Vicodin but I going off it because of constipation.

I have a St Jude mechnical valve and I am hoping this sensation will eventually go away.

Anybody else have similar problems? I've read here that folks have had something similar, and a lot of people are on toporol (or it's generic) and that seems to help? I'm on diltiazem 120mg long release, twice a day, but that doesn't seem to help at all. I'm thinking of asking my cardiologist to switch me to something else; he said getting back in rhythm would resolve the problem and it has helped, but the pounding is still there. I sure would like relief.

Thanks, Tom

Even with a tissue valve, early post-op my heart really banged and thumped hard, particularly at night. It was so loud in my head and my ears! It seemed worse when I laid on my left side. It will get better though, Tom.

The heart pounding and thumping almost gave me a nervous breakdown....!!
Taking a low dose of Metoprolol (Toprol), which is a beta blocker, calms down the force of the heart until it can re-model and become more normal.
Yes, it is worse later in the day and at night.
I avoided lying on my left side, and avoided bending over for quite a while.

I would have sworn that that felling was going to make me insane. But found out post op that it was probably due to the new valve working well and the new meds I was on. So after I was able so say "this is normal" it was not as bothersome as it had been. Oh I felt it in my neck, spine, head, and fingers/toes. Especially when sitting, or trying to relax. It did get better over time and now only happens once in a while. As others have said within this forum....time, time, our bodies will get used to the new "self", including myself.

I know how you feel

I know how you feel

I am 25 day days post AVR with a St Jude. I cant sleep at night the noise in my head is so loud. I leave the TV on all night, just so I have noise. Fortunately my husbands snores very loud, so that sometimes drowns out my heartbeat!

Although, I had a strange sensation, the other night coming home from dinner in the car, I could not hear it. It scared me for a second, I thought "where the heck is my heartbeat?" I had to put my hand on my chest to remind myself, wierd eh?!?

I hope you learn to live with your new heartbeat as I am learning to live with mine!!

Avoid big meals in the evenings so the heart doesn't have to work so hard. Try some flaxseed in cereal or a protein shake to help constipation.(or dried apricots or prune juice with little melted butter in it)

I remember how I thought I would absolutely go insane from the ticking early on! My cardiologist said I would get used to it and compared it to living in a house on a busy street --- how you get used to the traffic noise after a while. I honestly didn't believe him.
Now, over three years later, he was right. I still tick loud, but I usually don't pay much attention any more.
All I can say is it will get better. Hang in there!

My mom still has this problem almost 3 years later! Due to bladder issues she about has to sleep on her left side. This drives her nuts!!!! Suggestions??? Thanks! Deb

I understand....tissue or mechanical it will get better...it will....I was two years out in February and I hardly ever notice it.....Someone mentioned big meals and come to think if it I have notice that connection....But I think a night of thumping is sometimes worth a belly full of pizza or birthday cake:D :D

Valve Noise

Valve Noise

Thumping, clicking...lots of us have the noises associated with mechanical valves. I asked my cardiologist if the noise would ever mellow out or if I would have to make the mental adjustments to live with it. He replied that over time I would become less sensitive to the noise that the valve makes.

I'm about a year out from AVR surgery and I've noticed that my sensitivity to the click or thump varies. Usually, I seldom notice it until it until I go to bed. How much I notice it tends to vary as well.

I was invited to talk about my AVR surgery with students in an Anatomy/Physiology class last week. The kids had been doing BP stuff with the school nurse and asked if they could listen to my valve. The first student who listened exclaimed, "That's creepy weird!"

-Philip

Tom - I'm 5 weeks post-AVR and while I can now (usually... but not always) get pretty good sleep at night, I'm still conscious of the sounds/feeling/general sensation of my thumping heart and clicking valve. For the past several days up through today it is honestly the only thing I would voice as a complaint about my post-surgery recovery. But like TinaK stated, sometimes when my heart is relaxed and I can't feel the beat (or THUMP!) or hear the clinking of my valve, that bugs me too! For what it's worth, I have been finding it easier to sleep at night but during the day, the heart thumping and occasional valve sounds are impossible to ignore. At least we know we're not alone with this experience!!

Steve C.

Thumping heart driving me crazy

Thumping heart driving me crazy

Hi everyone!

Thank God for this blog!
I thought there was something really wrong with me! I am one month post op.
I had a tissue valve put in the aortic position. A Metronics Mozaic to be exact.
The forcefulness of my heart beat, and the pounding in my head has been very scary to say the least! I told my cardio about it and all he could say was it will eventually subside. I'm thinking just exactly what does that mean?? What is eventually?? I have had to resort to sleeping pills to calm me down. I also , had some PPC complications, which has slowed my recovery a bit. I was even starting to regret this surgery. I was basically asymptomatic, and was very active almost just before surgery! The PPS seems to be getting better. The thumping is still there. I am still kind of short of breath walking outside. Does anyone else have this problem? My resting pulse seems to stay around 85 to 96, and that is with meds! So when
I walk about 80 yds at a decent pace its seems like I am jogging! The aortic stenosis in my bicuspid valve was severe, and rapidly deteriorating. They decided it was time for surgery.

Thanks for reading. Good luck to all! Kathy

As everyone has said, this is perfectly normal. I'm 4 weeks post op with a tissue valve (Ross procedure) and my belly shakes from the heartbeat. It's quite annoying and I notice it more at night time...maybe because I'm more still? Anyway, I was told the reason for the shaking is loss of fluid around the heart during surgery. Before OHS, you have fluid around your heart that buffers that 'thump', but after surgery, the fluid is gone and the heart doesn't have anything to buffer the 'thump'. It takes a little time to build that fluid back up...thus the reason that you feel the thump alot more in the beginning. That was the explanation that was given to me...I'm not doctor, so I guess I believe them. :)

Thanks for the thread!

Take care.

It is enough to drive me crazy. The doctor says you will get used to it; I have not 17 weeks after surgery. I also have problems sleeping because of the clicking - I turn on the radio or a thunderstorm CD to deal with it. :cool:

P.S. It is a little comforting to know this is a common problem but I am sorry anyone has to deal with this - I tell myself it is better than the alternative.

Latest posts

Back