Throbbing heart at 10 weeks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

Well I am now into my 10th week and everything is going great. I am getting lots of exercise and now working on projects around the house. The only thing that still bugs me is the heart throbbing that I feel whenever I am calm. During normal day to day activates where I am fully engaged I don't notice it. But when I sit calmly or almost always with I take a deep breath I get the throbbing in my chest. Sleeping is a problem and I am therefore still on Lunesta. I have heard people say it will take a long time for this to go away but it seems to me that I am making no progress. It's as bad now as 8 weeks ago.

Anybody else experience this and have it eventually going away?

Tom -

Did you go through Cardiac Rehabilitation?

As you have noted, exercise and moving about helps.
Just keep it up. You may want to talk with your Surgeon and / or Cardiologist about how much you can exercise (walking and other 'moderate' forms of exercise) to help this along.

FULL recovery often takes way longer than any of us would like, BUT, most of us eventually get there.

Patience and Persistence!

Best wishes,

'AL Capshaw'

Tom....it takes a while...after two years I can still hear mine at times but it is not annoying anymore....mine never was a clicking, it was / is a thump....it will get better...it drove me nuts the first few months too....hang in there:)

I feel my heart pulse constantly but it doesn't really seem to be much of a bother to me. I'm 8 weeks post-op and just happy to not have "issues". I've got a mechanical valve and my wife and others have mentioned that they can hear it but its funny that I don't. Just the thump thump thump.

I also have issues sleeping and I'm hoping that eventually that will pass. I take Tylenol PMs and I still get 5 hours max and then Im awake doing my fish-in-a-boat impression till its time to get up. Hopefully that will resolve itself soon and I can get back to a full nights sleep.

ctyguy said:
SNIP
I also have issues sleeping and I'm hoping that eventually that will pass. I take Tylenol PMs and I still get 5 hours max and then Im awake doing my fish-in-a-boat impression till its time to get up. Hopefully that will resolve itself soon and I can get back to a full nights sleep.

For some of us, getting 5 or 6 hours in one stretch is a good night's sleep (ask Ross :). I usually get up, go the the bathroom, maybe eat breakfast, check my computer or putz around doing something else until I get tired again. Then I take a NAP. Being retired helps.

'AL Capshaw'

Last night I got 3 1/2 hours before I woke up. The rest was flip flopping and broken sleep. I guess my body is getting what it needs but I really would like a solid 7 hours every once in a while.

I am glad I came across this thread. I am up at the computer because I can not sleep. I have this thumping. It has been 10months. I thought something is wrong until I read this. I have been taking ambien to relax and sleep. So what causes this???? :eek: I have to work.

Deb

Sometimes in the middle of the night I will wake up to my heart thumping very hard. I have tried drinking a glass of water and that seems to help me so I'm assuming I'm occasionally not hydrated enough. Maybe it will work for you too?

While it is true that many of us (including me) feel this constant pounding for awhile I think it is VERY important to convey your discomfort and even casual concern to your cardiologist. They may want to have a listen to your heart, or they may ask you to carefully describe how it is pounding. Oftentimes, there are arrythmias that can and should be addressed with some medication.

So please...relax and figure that it is just your heart "dancing with joy" at it's newfound perfection.....but call the cardio and run it all past the pro just to be on the uber-safe-side.

Best wishes!!

Marguerite

Thumping heart

Thumping heart

Hello all,

I have a Medtronic Mosaic tissue valve (Feb 11th/2008 ) and I hear my pulse at night lying down. I am still sleeping on my back, because when I try to sleep on my right side like I did pre-surgery, I can hear my pulse beat fairly loudly in my head. It is very annoying! It was not that loud pre-surgery. I am also dealing with inflamation issues. The effusion is finally gone, but I still have painful symptoms, from the inflamation. I am hoping this will get better soon! I too have to medicate myself to get to sleep.

Good luck to all, Kathy M.

Hello Tom, Im 5 months out and my question has been the same as yours. Didnt want anyone to think I was complaining because I know that ive been blessed. I fully understand what your feeling. I have read a lot of replys on this wonderful website and Im still uncertain about the volume control on these mechanical valves.zan-x seems to work the best for me (LOL), Im hopeful that my collar bones will stop vibrating soon. I heard one say that everybodys body acouctics are different and i believe that to be true. It seems that after doing a lot of reading on this topic that everyone says it will get better with time,my surgeon reasures me that it will get better. All in all, im thankful to hear my noisy valve than to not hear it at all. Lots of luck and best wishes Glenn:cool:

im glad that i came across this thread. im 9 weeks post op i could hear the thumping sometime and do remember now i couldn't sleep on my side before the surgery because my pulse was to damn loud. lol, now runs like a new car, little noise.. thanks guys & glas-just watching the game detroit vs pegs
2nd ot period awesome game -GO PITTSBURGH!!!

joe-mech valve april04/08

Latest posts

Back