The step is higher for the new surgery

• Thread starter Paula (from Finland)
  • Start date
Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paula (from Finland)

said my cardiologist after their meeting with surgeons and postponed my surgery at least 6 months. Also he said that the risks in second surgery are more higher... so they will take a new MRI test in November or December and after that they will make the decision of what kind of sugery is best in my case....

Regards,
Paula

While I know you hate the waiting game (We all do) perhaps it's best. Of course another surgery ups the anty. If I were a Surgeon, I wouldn't want to be doing anything that did not have to be done immediately.

Yes, it is true that every additional heart surgery causes the "risk to benefit" ratio to change, and your doctors will want to make very, very sure that the benefit is more than the risk.

When deciding about my second surgery last year, my cardio consulted with four other doctors in his group for their opinions. They were all in agreement which made my decision much easier. He truly was disappointed the direction things took for me despite his (and my) best efforts. He wanted others to give their opinion about his interpretation of my tests etc

My surgeon (same as the one who did my first), also gave a lot of consideration and while we were consulting with him, I got the impression he was mentally going through a check list to see if enough of my symptoms, test results, physical exam really indicated the time had come for a re-op. No surgeon I would want as my doctor makes the determination without serious thought.

Best wishes to you and while the wait is difficult, it is best to wait until it really is 'time'.

Just to try to put your mind at ease, from what I've read the risks of a second surgery are pretty close to the first surgery. It's typically the third surgery where the risks go up in a noticable fashion. That said, the risks of a third surgery (again, from what I've read), are only about 5%.

Ouch...2nd time for me too

Ouch...2nd time for me too

Pig valve in 2001.

Ross in January 2009.

I almost physically forced them to perform this last surgery since they said I could drop dead during one of my longer distance runs.

What are your options?

Back