The sound in my valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradvo

The past couple days or more I have noticed a change in the ticking of my valve. It usually is very noticable in my pulse, I hear if thru my neck ( I think), at any rate I hear it and hear it well. Now I don't hear it as well and my wife says the same about the sound.
So I called the ON-X study group I'm in and they told me to come in tomorrow for a listen, if the head nurse suspects anything she will get someone else in
on the listening for opinion. I also called my cardiologist who just called back and wants to know how the visit goes with the study group.
I guess the moral of my story is call and be sure, I'll know more later after the visit. This is my first call for concern since the install of the valve.
Brad

Hi

I have noticed changes in how 'thuddy' my valve sounds in my chest. I have also recorded it on a pocket recorder. I found with my recent infection that the thuddyness of it seemed higher. I have also observed that my blood pressure makes a difference to the sound. So now I guess I have a biofeedback mechanism I didn't have.

also for what its worth, before I had the operation (in 2011) I could occasionally feel/hear a pulse in my left side of my neck. I have not had that since the surgery.

I wonder if it is simply something I began noticing after I became aware of it and like cars you see more of that model when you have begun discussing it.

I wonder if this recording can be accessed easily? (NOTE: recorded with mic about 20cm from my chest, no contact with me)

I am three weeks today with my new ON-X valve. My pulse is still just over 100 most of the time. On meds to control it. My blood pressure is consistently good while resting or just after walking. The loudness of my valve varies or at least my perception of it. I find it pleasing to listen to. I am very happy with my valve choice.:thumbup:

I am 10 months post-op with On-X. I notice that the valve ticking varies as well. Sometimes it's loud; sometimes quiet; sometimes, I can barely hear it. Often times, however, I just simply forgot that I have a valve. I have noticed that counting ticks puts me to sleep, though. :)

I am 10 months post-op with On-X. I notice that the valve ticking varies as well. Sometimes it's loud; sometimes quiet; sometimes, I can barely hear it. Often times, however, I just simply forgot that I have a valve. I have noticed that counting ticks puts me to sleep, though. :)

I am coming up on three years and can say the same thing, still. There was a point, I forget when, that I stopped hearing it as much. Mainly, I feel it.

Interesting to read the replies about your valves.....as for as my day went . I saw the ON-X nurse and she recommends calling my Cardio doc, I told her I had and will again. So I call as I'm leaving from Tacoma General and low and behold the cardio has an opening 40 minutes later. I go to his office at Aburn general hospital and pay my co-fee. My cell rings and it is his nurse, she begins to give me instructions and I interrupt and tell her I'm in the waiting room, she says she will be right out.
Well she was right out, tells me to go down to ER and admit myself, she says if they have any questions have them call her. She tells me the cardio doc cannot tell me anything about my valve without an echo scan. So I get the full treatment in ER, echo, EKG, blood work, IV. and lunch.

I finally get out with a A-OK everything looks great....I never got to see my cardio doc and requested the ER doc to tell him I am dissapointed that he did not see me first and I want my money back if he cannot see me. I was asked to come back up to his office where the nurse said he can see me on Thursday. I wonder why I even go now that I know I'm good ??? But I will follow up, I have questions as to why he did not see me in the first place since he just saw me a month ago and could have at least had a listen. This was my first call of concern since my operation, holy mokes!! It did lift a bit of a load off my mind tho....wonder what the bill will come to?

Hi bradvo,

Good to hear that all is ok. It would appear they followed standard procedure by telling you to go to the ER for the workup.
But your doctor not seeing you or even talking to you over the phone must be disappointing. Perhaps he was not in clinic that day, and was preforming some heart related surgeries. I sit down with him to provide an explanation, and peace of mind for you, as to if this guy is the right guy to be in your corner, will be a good thing to do.

I too have an On-X, and it is perhaps slightly more loud than my previous St Jude mechanical valve. But, I now also have a lot more work that has been done on my aorta and aortic root than my first surgery. I think that having 20 cm of Dacron tubing running down my aorta my contribute to the amplification of the clicking from the valve. It's all good though, like the Timex commercial used to say, "Takes a Licking and Keeps on Ticking"!

Rob

Hi bradvo,

Good to hear that all is ok. It would appear they followed standard procedure by telling you to go to the ER for the workup.
But your doctor not seeing you or even talking to you over the phone must be disappointing. Perhaps he was not in clinic that day, and was preforming some heart related surgeries. I would suggest you sit down with him to provide an explanation, and peace of mind for you, as to if this guy is the right guy to be in your corner, will be a good thing to do.

I too have an On-X, and it is perhaps slightly more loud than my previous St Jude mechanical valve. But, I now also have a lot more work that has been done on my aorta and aortic root than my first surgery. I think that having 20 cm of Dacron tubing running down my aorta my contribute to the amplification of the clicking from the valve. It's all good though, like the Timex commercial used to say, "Takes a Licking and Keeps on Ticking"!

Rob

That could be that it was standard procedure, I've never had the concern about my valve before until this week. Now I know what I'm in for when i think a problem exists.

dtread, ya might have read my post wrong, it was the certain character of the ticking that I did not hear that I was concerned about. Ticking is good :)

Latest posts

Back