The scoop on Atenolol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

My cardiologist wants to slowly wean me off of all beta blockers, currently taking Inderal, LA. Has done a lot of good as it has cured my PAC's. Though...I am retaining water, medication related.

Heart checked out a OK! It's the water retention and mounting weight the blocker is causing that is concerning. When exercising... can't maintain a therapeutic range to make it benificial in the first place. Anthoer reason to get off.

Recommendations as follows. Stop Inderal, LA, Start Atenolol 25 mg, which I understand is basically nothing? Along with a slow magnesium 64mg. After a month stop the Atenolol and see what happens.

Anyone have similar circumstances. Or anything I should know about Atenolol would be appreciated.

Thanks....

Hi Gina,

I have been on Atenolol 50 mg / day for almost 2 years now. It is a Beta Blocker. I have not had any problems with it. In fact, I have read that many golfers and olympic sharp shooters take them to steady themselves. I know it works for me! Are there any specific questions that you have regarding it?

Hope your getting off the Beta Blockers helps. Also, I have this little bit of info to share..

Topic: Heart Disease: Laurie Anderson, RN, BSN >> Discussion: Exercise with
low pulse from medication (by Arlyp (WebMD))
Re: Exercise with low pulse from medication
by ljandie91 (WebMD), 8/18/00 10:09 PM
Hello,
Your heart is getting an adequate workout as long as you raise it 20-30 beats
per minute over your resting levels. You can't calculate a target heart rate
based on the traditional method of subtacting your age from 220 and
multiplying it by 70-85%, because of the beta-blocker.
In the cardiac rehab setting we usually use 70-85% of the highest heart rate
achieved on the pre-exercise stress test, if the medication(s), especially
beta-blockers, were taken before the test. If the medication(s) were held,
the highest heart rate achieved must be further adjusted for these meds;
typically a range of 10-20% more depending on the size and frequency of the
beta-blocker dose and the dose(s) of other medications being taken that may
also be lowering the heart rate. Sometimes this method of calculation is
ineffective; in this case we often use the simple formula of resting heart
rate plus 20 to 30 beats per minute. This range is decided upon based on
whether or not the person is still ischemic (blockages that are preventing
adequate blood flow to the heart), the amount of heart muscle damage from the
heart attack, the ejection fraction and other individual considerations.
In regard to your question about time of day to exercise, in my opinion you
are actually better off to exercise earlier in the day, when your
beta-blocker is having the most efffect on your heart rate. I can't evaluate
this in relation to your condition, because I don't know what the situation
is with your heart's blood flow. In general the effect of the beta-blocker is
to improve blood flow to the heart muscle, so it is better protected from the
potential effects of decreased blood flow and thus you are less likely to
have angina. Hope this is clear and helpful; I will watch for additional
posts from you should you have another question.
Sincerly, Laurie Anderson, RN, BSN

ALSO..

For simplicity sake (though nothing seems to be that way in medicine today), doctors, using their overall clinical experience, try to prescribe a beta blocker that is felt to be the most appropriate one that will effectively control a particular condition or conditions (dosage must be individualized) and do so hopefully with minimal (tolerable) side effects. Contraindications, pre-existing medical conditions and drug interactions have to be taken into consideration when prescribing this particular drug as well.Beta blockers can be cardioselective; decrease in systemic side effects and only affects beta-1 receptors located primarily in the cardiac muscle or non- cardioselective; increase in systemic side effects; and affects beta-1 and the beta-2 receptors (which are located primarily in the bronchial musculature and blood vessels).Toprol-XL® (metoprolol succinate, extended release) is a beta-1 cardioselective drug. Metoprolol tartrate immediate release is availble as Lopressor® and is reported to be the most widely prescribed and competitive beta-blocker in the world. In the U.S., Toprol-XL® is primarily indicated for high blood pressure (hypertension) and angina, but like other beta blockers, it can be prescribed for other conditions as determined by a qualified doctor. Since everyone is unique, and therefore the metabolism responds differently to beta blockers, if a particular beta blocker works well for one individual that does not necessarily mean that it will work well for the next.A problem with this class of drug is that some beta blockers are known to enter or cross the blood-brain-brain (BBB, actually there are two of them and is described as a protective network of blood vessels and cells that filters blood flowing to the brain) easier than others. The ones that do this seem to cause more central nervous system (CNS) side effects, such as nightmares, hallucinations, and depression than others that exhibt low penetration characteristics (LPC). If a beta blocker seems to be ineffective, doctors will either increase the dose or switch to another class of drug that is deemed appropriate.When a beta blocker dosage is increased, one has to watch out for dose delivered side effects (DDSE) which can be an increase in the severity of present (if any) side effects or the onset of entirely new ones which may or may not cause an iatrogenic condition or disease.Also, while on this class of drug, blood pressure and pulse/HR should be checked regularly and a doctor should be contacted immediately if/when pulse/HR falls below 50 BPM.

Hope this helps some,

Rob

Gina, I take Atenolol 25 mg morning/night. It is to slow heart beat so as to not overtax the heart. Have not had any problems with it and have been on it about 2 yrs. God bless

Thanks Rob and Hensylee. Just assuring to know I am not alone. Also wanted to make sure it was something I 'want to take'.

Looked at the script....it's for 1/2 - 25mg tab daily. Technically I am not to take a beta blocker due to a conduction concern. 1st degree AV block. Have a feeling I will do ok and beable to come off it completely if my heart stays in a normal sinus rhythm on such a low dose. Keeping my fingers crossed. Should probably worry more about my INR.:D

Thanks again.....Rob all of the info was very informative.

Hi Gina,

I wantedf to add, and I have mentioned this on the board before; there are some Beta Blockers that cross the Blood Brain Barrier and do effect the central nervous system, causing side effects that I want no part of. Lopressor is the main one for this.

Atenolol does not cross the Blood Brain Barrier. I used to have some major side effects taking Lopressor, as did 3 of my close friends. We all switched to Atenolol, and the side effects vanished.

Happy Pill Poping!

Rob

Rob....

Rob....

Wow, oh man! Don't want to go there we are already skittish enough.;)
Thanks

How about weigh gain and or control? The Inderal did me in.

Hi Gina,

Beta Blockers lower your Blood Pressure, and also Slow your Heart Rate. Hmmm... slower heart rate equals burning less calories, and therefore.. lowering your metabolism. Since your body doesn't require as many calories to burn with a slower heart rate, you must reduce your intake of calories. Eat smaller portions.... and you should be OK. Either that.. or spend much more time on the treadmill.. you'll have to find a way to burn them off. You could workout and tone your muscles. Muscles require calories to maintain themselves. You actually can lose weight even when you are not exercising, by maintaining good muscle tone and definition simply because they will burn calories.

Now I'm no Jack LaLaine,.,, LOL... But there seems to be alot of benifits to workout on a regular basis.. Just ask our own Mr. Universe ...... Perry !!! <smile>

Hope this helps, Now... put that ice cream away!!!

Rob

All great points. This is the sad part.......we have a complete home gym, treadmill, lifecycle, stair climber. I can't get motivated. Too many interruptions. I do much better in a club setting. Already have one picked out in Baltimore. Get myself peronal trainer...and I will be all set. I was an avid swimmer in HS and college. Getting back to that would be great too!

My hubby is too motivated. Twice a day workout for him. I am tied down with our daughter and taking care of her needs and the family. Mine are left in the backseat. That's why I need to gym!

PS. I have gotton desperate.....my two daytime meals consisit of Special K and fruit. Regular dinner. INR is extreamly stable on the lower end though.Must be all of the vitiamins in the cereal?

Last edited:
Hello all!
Thought Imight add a comment. My husband takes 100 mg of ateneol daily. He takes 75 in the morning and 25 mg at night. His resting heart rate is 68-76. He is in chronic a-fib, which means the atrials do not pump, they quiver, from what I understand. He goes to cardiac rehab. They have reduced the amount of excercise he can do, as his heart rate goes too high, even on the beta blockers. 140-190, if he over does it. This really wipes him out for the rest of the day, and then the next day, usually. He does retain fluid...........I think it most interesting that it is a side efect from the medication. He was diagnosed as being in congestive heart failure, so we assumed the fluid retention was part of the CHF. Anyone with more info on that issue??? He is 4 months out of surgery. Any comments??????
Thanks! - Marybeth

Hi MaryBeth,

Here is a site that you can visit for more info on Atenolol

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/betaadrenergicblockingagentssy202087.html

You want to scroll down and read it. Atenolol is listed as one of the types of Beta Blockers.

I take Atenolol to lower my blood pressure, and reduce the number of heart beats. Due to my aortic dissection, the Beta Blocker is used as a preventative measure to reduce the chances of it happening again. Other than that, I do not have any heart disease.

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Marybeth

Using the beta blocker myself to control PAC's. Which I have not had since starting the medication. I am retaining water and have gained weight. Was assured yesterday by my cardiologist that it is indeed medication related. Heart is structurally normal....with the exception of the prothesis which is functioning perfectly. EF is 65%.

I am switching from Inderal LA to Atenolol to hopefully return to what I consider normal, and not bloated. Then slowly wean me off next month and see if I can handle it. Will be taking magnesium. I understand that is all some folks need and swear by it.

You may want ask your husbands cardiologist to try another beta blocker to see if this relieves his symptoms. Also a diuretic may be helpful.
PS. Marybeth....let me add that if your husbands fluid is in his ankles it is most likely from the CHF, ask the doc. My retention is in my hands, and belly. Lucky me. ;)

Last edited:
Hello!
Thanks for the input. Have not goten to that site yet, Rob, but will do it today.
Wayne does take a diuretic, twice daily. And yes, you are right, it is in his feet. When it gets "bad", his hands and belly do swell as well. (I do NOT mention the belly thing........he might be hurt). But, since he is 6'2", and weights only 180, it is noticeable. Can't describe it, but there is definitely a difference.

Thanks again. You are all terrific folks@

Marybeth

Gina:

Wayne had PAC's after the surgery. I don't know if he still has them. Hmmmmmm.
Mb

;) I too am on Atenenol, 25 mg a day in the evening, I was on 50mg t a day but it made me so sleepy I went to 25mg at night, after consulting with my cardiologist. I did initially pack on the pounds, and since I had excercising it was difficult. But I got a dog and the beast must be outside, much more social than I am. I know more dogs now than people. But any way it keep me in rythum from the arithmia that I suffered previous to this new valve, (St Judes Mechanical) AVR. I pump beteen 65-80 at rest, and run a blood pressure around 106 / 75.

Sam

Hi Rob:

Thank you SO much for the links. Actually, they explained alot. Wayne has a problem, about twice a week, regarding his lunch schedule. He will get really shaky and nervous, until he eats. We spoke about this last night, so that he knows to get something high in sugar into his stomach quickly. I think, from reading the article that he is experiencing mild hyperglycemia. I also think we'll ask the Dr. to check his sugar levels, as his mother had diabetes, and right after the surgery, they told me that he had a problem, but it was common immeidately post op. I don't think that anyone has followed through on it!

He has gained just a few pounds in 4 months. He cam home at 179, and now weighs in at 182-184. He was around 190 just before surgery. He is not a big eater...never was. He does eat frequently, and always has. Three meals, and probably three snacks a day,.

What the heck is a PAC?
I take Cozaar to lower my bp. I find that it works well, and my heart rate still goes up when I exercise, so I know when to cool it.
I wonder why my cardio prescribed this instead of the beta blockers? I'm fine with it and have only had a few bouts of dizziness due to the drug, I believe.
Gail

PAC:s and betablockers...

PAC:s and betablockers...

PAC:s are premature atrial contractions i.e. the atria "misses" the que from the ventricle. If you experience many problems with arrhythmia you may want to mention it to the doctor.

Gina, some people, like me, can't take betablockers. I couldn't because I have/had asthma and they did not even try putting me on one to see what happened. Which I am thankful for. But I did have arrhythmia and I did need drugs to control it so I was prescribed an antiarrhythmic "cocktail" of sorts where the prime "ingredient" was a drug called Quinidine. Many cardiologists are quite reluctant in prescribing antiarrhythmicas over betablockers. I have a friend who fought for quite a while to get on a drug called propafenone over betablockers as she had experienced so many sideeffects.
Antiarrhythmicas brings a whole other batch of side effects and there are antiarrhythmicas and then there are antiarrhythmicas. You might not want to head for amiodarone immediately... ;)
If you find betablockers too hard the road of antiarrhythmicas over betablockers might be one to travel :).

All my best,

/jessica

Last edited:
Well, I am back to the old drawing board. My PAC's returned after switching to the lose dose Atenolol:mad: Never realized how nice it was to be in a normal sinus rhythm until recently.

So, I am back to the Inderal. We tried a low dose in hopes we could keep my resting heart rate up. Didn't work. So I am back to my usual 60mg dose. Will have to work harder on exercising to maintainl my weight. They were hoping I could completely come down on the beta blocker. I can, but would have to deal with the PAC's. Which is out of the question. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back