The Official New Surgery Date Is Here!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K. I give up, Ross..what is this Alien thing you keep talking about???
It is an incisional hernia from my last open heart surgery, just below my diaphragm that sticks out about the size of a canteloupe. If you've seen the movie Aliens and look at my stomach area, you'll soon get the idea. :)

Joe's is a little different, his is congenital and is a split in the rectus abdominus muscles, called diastasis. Same idea though.

Uh, Where's Sigourney Weaver?

HI ROSS.....WAS JUST PERUSING THE FORUMS AND SAW YOURS.....YOU'D BETTER KNOW MY PRAYERS WILL BE WITH YOU ON AND UP TO THE 22.....YOU'VE BEEN A WONDERFUL SOURCE OF INSPIRATION FOR BOTH ME AND MY HUSBAND, AND WE'RE HERE FOR YOU NO DOUBT......IF THERE'S ANYTHING WE CAN DO BESIDES PRAY, LET US KNOW......EVELYN

Thanks for the hugs John,

Thanks for the hugs John,

And yes, Dr. Northrup was my surgeon. He is very good at what he does, I had 2 cardio's tell me that if anyone could repair my mitral valve, Northrup could. Then when we went to see him pre-op, he said, "I'm pretty sure I can fix it because.....I usually can."
I thought he sounded pretty confident in himself, which is not all bad.
Mine was not an easy fix either, I had 2 floppy leaflets, not just one as is usually the case, which is why it took a little over 6 hours. When I went to see him post-op, he said the repair should last a lifetime, and to "Get out of here, I don't ever want to see you again!" (I'm sure he meant that in the best possible way.):D

I'm not real worried about the next surgery, the worst thing is, that just about the time I start feeling normal again, and the weight lifting restrictions are dropped etc, I'll facing another surgery with a 6 week recovery time, so I still won't be able to lift more than 10 lbs.
(I work real hard at getting out of work, can't ya tell?) --Jean

Chicagoan's are pulling for you

Chicagoan's are pulling for you

God Bless you Ross.

We'll be thinking about you on that day.

Best regards,

p.s. Your vr.com t-shirt should be done by then! I'm still waiting to see my "proof shirt." Cheerio!

T-Shirt

T-Shirt

Yeah Ross, I hope you get your's by July 22 so you can wear it in the hospital..Do some P.R. work for us:D Bonnie

Hi Ross,

Glad you date issue has been resolved and you can on with your surgery. I know I was a disappointed whem my surgery slid for a few days, I'm sure it's been tougher on you having to wait much longer.

I'll be thinking of you on July 22 and praying for the best possible result. Take care.

Chris

If I should have the shirts by then, I'll do Hank and VR some real justice. I promise! I've already started on my coumadin clinic people. :D

Chris, how have you been? I'm taking that work has kept you away for awhile?

Evelyn, I can use all the angels and prayers I can get. I thank you and your hubby.

Last edited:
HI ROSS.....DON'T WORRY, YOU ARE DEFINITELY IN THEM AS ARE ALL MY OTHER ANGELS FROM VR.COM.....
EV

John

John

Don't feel bad, I had to reschedule mine last year. I was to have it in August and was running a low grade fever, so we waited for three weeks also. So you are not alone. Hang in there and do some hobby or other to keep the mind busy. You take care and easy during your wait.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

The Official New Surgery Date Is Here!

Congratulations Ross..

I know from my own experiences uncertainty is the worst.
Now you know..you are prepared..you are ready.
Will be counting the days with you buddy..best of luck.

jackc (Welland)

Best Wishes

Best Wishes

Best Wishes Ross. I'm thinking of your as the 22'nd approaches. I know that you will do well and that the results will be splended.
Don
AVR; 4-12-02; CCF; Cosgrove; Bovine Tissue

Caroline, Jackc, and Don

Thanks for the words of encouragement. As the date gets closer, I'm getting a touch more nervous. uncertainty is most definitely the toll taker. :eek:

Wow Ross! Just over a week away! I know it's really scary waiting, and you're like, I JUST WANT IT DONE! And the closer you get to it, the more butterflys start moving around in your stomache and you're like ACK I'm so scared, but i know I will feel so much better afterwards! Just telling you, I understand. Hang in there Ross, I hope you feel better soon, and I will see you on the other side of the mountain!

We're sorry, the person your addressing cannot be found.
Please check the member name and try again.
Thank You.

* As Ross bolts from the planet*
:D

Last edited:
You can't see me. They can't see me. I'm camouflaged! :D

I'm a wee bit nervous. No I'm not. Yes I am.

Stop it! Can't you see everyone is trying to sleep.

Last edited:
Hey Ross,
Sounds like you're having some of the same feelings I had as the surgery date drew near. The urge to flee (I was thinking of Mexico...but leaving the planet would be even better) is pretty natural when we're confronted with such a scary event. What helped me in the final week was to think of the surgery as a bridge to a better more healthy life. Jennie gave me some good advice: Take it one day, one hour at a time, and you WILL get through this. Also remember that you have a whole lot of people who will be supporting you with their thoughts and prayers during your surgery. If any one in the world knows this works, I do after surviving a 14 hour surgery. You are going to do just great, Ross, and soon we'll all be cheering you on during your recovery.

All the best buddy,
--John

This week will go by too fast. You know, you never do get everything done, but hey, it'll be here to play with later. I'll just keep being a screwball until around Thursday or Friday, then I'll become a recluse.

Stay BUSY Ross, and then take that

GIANT LEAP OF FAITH !

We all have to do it and have done it.

That's what separates us survivors from
the great masses that don't have a clue.

Best wishes Ross. We're all pulling for you.

'AL'

Back