The next surgery candidate...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchconnection

Hi, I have read so many posts on this site, and have finally decided to join. Not joining was inline with my denial that I needed to get anything done in the first place. I was diagnosed with BCV at age 3, and monitored annually since with absolutely no problems, always in the "mild" category. I am now 46, 3 small kids, and living in France for the past 2 years. And of all times for this to happen....it is now! I am looking at AVR with ascending aortic root replacement. I am set for surgery Sept. 15th here in France, and feel confident about my surgeon, the hospital, the care. I am not confident in myself, the stress this will put on my kids, my business (I am a small business owner), my ability to continue a very active lifestyle. In France, they do not send you home after surgery, you go to a rehab facility for 4-5 weeks. It is sort of like a Holiday Inn with docs, nurses, gyms, hiking trails. Very nice and all have indicated only positive experiences. BUT, gone from my kids for 6 weeks, functioning and healing in a language I have not yet mastered, and on beta blockers now that make my workouts and runs just too darn difficult. I have always been the strong one, but now I feel defeated and weak and just weepy really. I think reading your posts has made me feel better. I am not alone, I am going to be okay, and yes it will take time. Anyway, thank you for this site, and I will use it to keep me going to September!

Welcome! WE know how you feel. There is a ton of knowledge here and support. I have found everyone so helpful, I am sure you will also.

Welcome to the club! It sounds like you already have the most important thing for waiting until surgery, which is a PLAN! Focus on the plan and know that your family is strong, and they will get through this with you. It is a temporary setback that you face to fix the issues life has presented you, and you will also come through this better than before in the heart arena. Again, welcome!

Bienvenue sur le forum!! Mon mari est français!

I'm sure the doctors are good in France but I understand the language barrier thing. It's one more thing on top of everything else but please try not to worry too much. I should practice more what I preach but try not to worry, it really isn't a productive thing to do.

We are here for you!

Hi, IIn France, they do not send you home after surgery, you go to a rehab facility for 4-5 weeks. It is sort of like a Holiday Inn with docs, nurses, gyms, hiking trails. Very nice and all have indicated only positive experiences. BUT, gone from my kids for 6 weeks,
I can relate with that. How far from your home is the rehab hospital ? Don't know if you picked up the PM I sent you, but a friend of mine in France got taken to and from her rehab hospital each and every day by ambulance car so she could be at home every evening and night - could you look into something like that ?

Anne

Welcome, i'm so happy for you that you found us. Hopefully seeing others going thru the same thing, will give you a little more confidence in yourself and that you will be able to do just as well.
I can understand your concerns about the language barrier, the last thing you want to picture is trying to tell the medical staff something is wrong and they don't understand you or you them. But I am SURE they probably have quite a few people who speak your language and translate.(if it is English or one of the more common languages)

As for the recovery period, even if it is "normal" in France to go right to a rehab facility for a month or so post op, IF you really rather be home, I would at least talk to your doctors about recoverying at home since that would make YOU feel better not to have to worry about being away from your small children and that you think you would probably recover even better at your home with your family. IF they are set on you going away for so long, maybe you can even try to work out a plan that when you are ready to be discharged from the hospital they let you at least TRY to recover at home, but if things aren't going as well as they want, then you could go to the rehab facility.
Good luck, I know having to wait until September for your surgery will be tough to have it hanging over you so long, but hopefully it will give you plenty of time to work things out the best for you and your family.

Last edited:
KEEP READING the forums there is something new around every corner and so far in this thread it seems clear that the advice is to PLAN and I would only be repeating that........... something like beating a dead horse so no point but you have the time to read and question until you are totaly comfortable with your decisions oh yeah and WELCOME TO THE FAMILY

I know someone whose 88 year-old (at that time - she is now 90) mother-in-law who lives in Paris and had an aortic valve replacement. She was in the hospital for 10 days but then went home. There were physiotherapists who went to her appartment every day (maybe other health workers too, I am not sure). I just thought I should mention this, because maybe this could be done for you.

Hi and Welcome. I think the extended time in the rehab sounds a bit excessive for someone who is young and otherwise healthy. I know when I lived in the UK and had a baby there, they wanted me to stay in the hospital for 7 - 10 days. I said, "no way", and checked out the next day. They didn't give me a hard time about it and instead, sent a nurse to my house, who I also said "thanks, but no thanks" to! Speak up and let them know your wishes. I think that is a very long time to be away from home.

Kim

BTW, several posters have commiserated about a "language problem", but I don't see anything in the OP that indicates that frenchconnection isn't fluent in French. I'm just sayin'. . .

FC, the secondary trip to a rehab hospital seems to have been an available option here in Toronto, at least if the patient could convince an occupational therapist that there were too many stairs (or such) at home. Several of my Cardiac-ward "classmates" chose that option. Not me. I would have liked to have started on cardiac rehab sooner than I did -- mine started ~4 months post-op, and 6 weeks was probably plenty -- but I'm not sure I would have made a lot of use of a country club before then. Home worked fine for me after 5-6 days post-op.

BTW, several posters have commiserated about a "language problem", but I don't see anything in the OP that indicates that frenchconnection isn't fluent in French. I'm just sayin'. . .

FC, the secondary trip to a rehab hospital seems to have been an available option here in Toronto, at least if the patient could convince an occupational therapist that there were too many stairs (or such) at home. Several of my Cardiac-ward "classmates" chose that option. Not me. I would have liked to have started on cardiac rehab sooner than I did -- mine started ~4 months post-op, and 6 weeks was probably plenty -- but I'm not sure I would have made a lot of use of a country club before then. Home worked fine for me after 5-6 days post-op.

from OP
"I am now 46, 3 small kids, and living in France for the past 2 years....
"Very nice and all have indicated only positive experiences. BUT, gone from my kids for 6 weeks, functioning and healing in a language I have not yet mastered,"

Also from her other post
"Also, I have other fears about the language difference. My surgeon and cardiologist speak English very well, and I can stumble around a bit in French. But what about the nurses, ICU staff, etc? If I am laying there in pain and they tell me specific things, how will we communicate? I get anxiety thinking about this. My husband thinks it will be fine, but I have visions of panic going on with that one!
September is my date, and I would welcome any suggestions "

Last edited:
Welcome to the "Waiting Room", Frenchconnection !!! I can understand your concerns, regarding not being fluent in French. I am a nurse by profession and over the years, I had a lot of Spanish speaking patients. Although I do not speak Spanish.... I wrote down simple questions , I knew I would be asking ( such as : are you in pain? a lot or a little ? Are you hungry? Are you thirsty? Do you need to use the restroom ? etc. ) in English..... then had a Spanish speaking nurse, write them in Spanish for me. I kept that list with me for years, till I finally had it memorized by heart. Maybe you could try the same thing, between now and September and take the list with you to the hospital. Just a suggestion.... Welcome again to the Family.....we are all here for you. Let us worry, then you can relax :) Hugs from California
Renee
Go team 2011 !!!
Dx BAV w/ severe stenosis and 3 proximal arteries 75%+ occluded 11/2010 Surgery 4/14/2011 AVR Edwards "Magna" Bovine Tissue Valve and a Triple Bypass.

Last edited:
You have all been great on responding to my post. I really appreciate it, you have no idea. I think I really need someone out there that validates my fears and worries as "the usual". Sometimes I think I am making a big deal out of nothing, and other times I feel that I am sure this is normal. Anyway, just to know that some of you recognize it makes things better.
I do feel better with a PLAN, and that has put a lot to rest, but being in a holding pattern is tricky as well. I have chosen NOT to tell my kids yet, no need for them to worry all summer. We need to have a great vacation, not let little heads worry about September. I will tell them when closer to the time.
One thing discussed here was the rehab facility here in France that is part of post-op care. The place is 45 minutes from home, I can check out on Wednesdays for the day, and the weekends overnight if I am up to it. Further, the rehab is certainly not mandatory, they will let me go home when I feel ready and the MD agrees. they will also send home health care if needed and requested. So I will take it as it comes and change plan depending on my recovery.
I am looking to put together a list of phrases that I would need in French during stay in hospital, particularly ICU.....what was the top three things that you requested from the nursing staff when you were there? i.e. I am thirsty, etc. I would appreciate your comments! Thanks again for being there with me!

Frenchconnection...
In ICU.. #1 May I have some ice chips or water when they allow it #2 I am in pain ( will need to be able to say what level, here they ask on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most pain...if they don't use that system, small, moderate, large amount of pain) AND, just where your pain is located...your chest....back, muscles, headache etc#3 I am nauseated, or feel like I am going to vomit ( can I have a med for this /where is my emesis basin)) #4 I feel like I am having difficulty breathing, shortness of breath or my heart is pounding/having chest pains #5 Can I have some help, to get up in the chair or can I have some help to change my position in bed, I am no longer comfortable #6 Can you put my call light within my reach, please #7 when foley catheter is removed, first few times.. you may need to ask for assistance to the bathroom and be able to tell them, if you feel dizzy, weak or faint at all #8 My IV site feels sore, is red or swollen #9 Can my family come in now ? #10 Can you let my Doctor know, I would like to talk to him #11 What was my last blood sugar, was it within normal.. are my vital signs normal, #12 May I have some pain meds, before you remove my chest tubes #13 What is that medication your giving me and what is it for? #14 I am cold or I am too warm #15 I am coughing up mucus ( and what color, clear, yellow, green or blood) #16 I feel like I may be running a fever / or have chills Oh.........and #17 Thank you :) That should get you started..............sure others will add to it. Putting in the simplest terms will help.Best of luck....and may the Lord watch over you and your family.

Renee

Latest posts

Back