The man is a sadist!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue943

I have been going to the gym twice a week recently, prescribed by my GP, yes he had to write a prescription for it. I did it after my cardiac rehab but then it was three times a week and my sheet said no weights etc. After a while I stopped going then my cardiologist and GP wanted me to do more exercise so I am back but only twice a week for now. There is no such note on my sheet now so the trainers are making me work. Today they put me on a cross-trainer and the darn thing was lethal, I only did it for five minutes and my HR was 150!

Sue,

Congratulations on resuming an aerobic exercise program. Stick with it. You will soon start to notice very marked improvements in your endurance and ability to perform at high intensities for longer periods. Phillip mentioned heart rate. If you're not using a heart rate (HR) monitor, you should get one. The feedback is great for helping you accurately gauge your aerobic effort level. Of course, in addition to aerobic capacity improvement where your body adapts by improving its ability to send oxygen rich blood throughout your body, your leg and core muscles will gain tone and stability. You're doing yourself a world of good. The world needs more "sadists" and "masochists" as long as we are careful and smart about our S and M activities.

The form I have from the person assessing me prior to me commencing with an exercise routine has marked my HR as resting 89, maximum to go to 130. The monitor on the cross trainer showed me going to 150 but when I go on the treadmill or cycle it stays under 120, it is my legs which give up on me.

Monitor your resting heart rate. Take it early every morning and note whether it's gone up or down a few beats from the day before. If it is higher, you worked too hard and have not recovered fully. If it goes lower you're getting in better condition and it's OK to push a bit harder next time.

Mine runs between 53 and 57. If it's still 60 after a full night's sleep, I need a day off. I don't care a whit what my maximum is anymore and I don't even know what my training HR is. I work out by the intensity of breathing and muscle fatigue, but I always pay attention to the resting HR.

Latest posts

Back