The GYM and INR Ratio??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve119

Hi my INR ratio has been fairly stable recently, in between the range of 2.5-3.5 on a regualr basis, at my last check over 3 weeks ago it was at 3.3. However i just got the results back from my latest check and it is at 1.8. I was on a dose of 4/5mg on alternate days. My doctor has told me to stick to the same dose, and get re-checked again in a week, do you think i shold be staying on the same dose considering how much it has dropped? Also my diet has not changed at all over the past few weeks, and the only thing i have done differntly recently is that i have been joined the gym, and am constantly on the treadmill(hoping to get fit for holiday) is this a possible cause of the inr dropping, as i can't think of anything else that wud have caused it?

Thanks

Increased exercise and INR

Increased exercise and INR

Hello Steve,

Warfarin is metabolized in the liver. Increased exercise will reduce INR because of the the greater volume of blood being processed by the liver.

If my INR was 1.9 the warfarin dose would definitely be increased immediately.

Steve,
I would definitely increase my dose if I were at a 1.8. That is truly heading into dangerous territory.

Ditto all above. There's absolutely no sense in staying at an inadequate dosage; particularly when you clearly require an increase due to activity levels. Bump it up.

You are almost always better off with a high INR than a low INR. Which would you rather do -- have a paralyzing stroke or a bloody nose? Your doctor appears to understand very little about warfarin. Almost everyone recovering from valve surgery requires a larger warfarin dose as they start recovering. It has been published in the medical literature (including a letter to the editor that I had published).

Hi Steve

Hi Steve

I know its a bit late for a reply - sorry. I would leave your dosage alone for a bit, and see what happens. Your 1.8 could be just a blip, a faulty reading, or the result of a cocked up test (I've had loads of these). If you immediately upped your dosage, then didn't go on the treadmill for a bit - your INR could go sky high. What valve did you have repleaced ?
Paul

What about toning down your treadmill addiction? You could slowly increase your physical activity level so your INR doesn't go yo-yo too low.

I'd bump to 5mg a day and retest in one week. It's definately your excerise that has caused the drop.

Latest posts

Back