The Dangers Of Osteoporosis Drugs.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina

The following article was in yesterdays Arizona Daily Star.
People beware. I had a major side effect to an Osteoporosis (Actonel) drug about a year and a half ago. This is for real and should be taken seriously.

Ask Dr. Weil by Andrew Weil: Osteoporosis drugs can be detrimental
Ask Dr. Weil by Andrew Weil
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 11.27.2007
advertisementQ: My doctor wants to put me on Fosamax to build up my bones and says I'll have to take it indefinitely. I don't have osteoporosis, but my bones aren't as dense as they should be for a woman my age, 55. Are there any risks I should know about?
A: I'm opposed to the increasing practice of treating women (and some men) long term with drugs such as Fosamax and Actonel after tests show that their bones are thinning (a condition called osteopenia). These are powerful drugs, in a class called bisphosphonates, that can halt and reverse osteoporosis. But I don't think it is good medicine to use them for patients who haven't even been diagnosed with the disease.
Instead, I recommend adopting lifestyle measures that promote bone-building. These include increased regular exercise (walking plus strength training), and making sure that you're getting enough calcium and vitamin D in your diet or from supplements. Women should take 500 to 700 milligrams of calcium citrate a day and at least 1,000 IU of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) taken with a fat-containing meal to ensure optimum absorption.
I also worry about using bisphosphonates on a long-term basis because of new evidence showing that they can lead to serious problems. Dentists have been observing that some patients on these drugs are at risk of developing an untreatable condition called osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ). Osteonecrosis means death of bone tissue. ONJ can cause chronic pain and disfigurement. Symptoms include toothache, jaw pain, loosening of teeth, recurrent infection of the soft tissue of the jaw and exposed bone.
Most of the cases of ONJ seen so far have developed among patients treated intravenously with the drugs to help control bone loss stemming from the spread of cancer to the bones, but the disorder has also been found among patients taking oral bisphosphonates to treat or prevent osteoporosis. The condition shows up most often after a tooth has been pulled and the surrounding tissue fails to heal. The early stages of the disorder don't show up on X-rays.
ONJ appears to develop because the drugs interfere with the ability of bones to remodel themselves as they go through the continuous process of bone breakdown and rebuilding. In the mouth, this is especially problematic because the bone becomes unable to repair microscopic fractures stemming from the constant stress of chewing. In theory, at least, the accumulated damage from these tiny fractures sets the stage for osteonecrosis.
Because no treatment has been found for ONJ, prevention is important. An article in the December 2005 issue of the Journal of the American Dental Association alerted dentists to the problem and suggested that all patients taking bisphosphonates have an oral evaluation before beginning intravenous therapy or within three months after beginning to take the drugs orally. Essentially, the goal is to make sure that your mouth is in perfect shape — no cavities, no gum disease and no other dental problems — prior to taking bisphosphonates. The fear is that if you develop ONJ, any dental procedure will make matters worse.
We don't know exactly what percentage of patients will develop osteonecrosis of the jaw as a consequence of taking bisphosphonates long term. At this point, many physicians are unaware of the risks. Any patient considering long-term treatment with these drugs should be aware of their potential dangers.

I was diagnosed borderline "osteoperosis" and show osteopenia in my hips & spine area. I was told by my cardiologists that due to the fact that I have been on coumadin for over half of my life (31+ yrs.), coumadin tends to deplete bone density so he wants me to start taking "boniva" every month plus calcium supplements (Oscal w/Vit D). I've started taking the Oscal but I have yet to start the boniva. I'm just afraid of adding one more drug to my already huge regime of pills!:eek:

Jean..

I also was diagnosed with Ostopenia and Osteoporosis a few years back (2002) but after the severe side effect that I endured after only taking Actonel twice I decided that it is just not worth the risk my doctor would want me to take. I am taking the necessary alternative supplements such as Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc etc. plus I weight train and do cardiovascular excercises. I also take a lot of other supplements besides the above mentioned and DO NOT take prescription drugs unless there's absolutely no other option. The yearly Dexa scan results show that the Ostopenia/Osteoporosis is slowly improving since the diagnoses in 2002 and has not gotten worse. I think I am on the right course of action.

Hope this helps you decide.

Another thing to worry about!

Another thing to worry about!

Christina, you have just scared me! I have taken Actonel since February because I have osteopenia of the spine (my femurs and hips are normal) which is almost osteoporosis. I have taken calcium and vitamin D for years and years and walk every day, so I was the one who asked my doctor if I could take something. I have had no side effects, but after your post, I did some research on the Internet, and I'm now worried. I'm going to speak to my doctor about it when I see him this coming February.

One article I read said that only 7% of patients treated with biphosphonate develop a necrosis of the jaw. However, the same article said that even 3 years after stopping all treatment, the risk of necrosis is still there. This is really concerning me.

Another article said that approximately 96% of the more than thousand cases of osteonecrosis of the jaw attributed to bisphosphonates were after taking intravenous agents, whereas only 4% (26 cases) were associated with oral bisphosphonates (25 of the 26 with Actonel). Now I realize that the 4% of people that get it represents only a tiny, tiny percentage of all people, but it is still scary.

Since 25 of the 26 cases were from Actonel, maybe I should see what my doctor thinks of Fosomax. I would like to know how many people out there take some sort of bisphosphonate and which one do you take?

I took actonel for about a year and have gotten off of it on my own about six months ago. The reason I got off is because I have lots of dental problems. Did I do the right thing? I don't know.:confused: I take lots of calcium and extra vitamin D

I took Fosamax for quite awhile. the weekly kind. Finally just stopped it. My stomach tends toward ulcers. Plus I read some side effects I didn't like.

Dental problems could be related to the jaw side effect of the meds. Fosamax and Actonel are in the same family so not taking actonel but considering fosamax would not be any better. Try to get an excellant calcium supplement as most of them are cheap and not very absorbable. Get one with 2-3 kinds of calcium in it along with magnesium,vit d 3(not d 2), and maybe some zinc or boron. That would be a great blend. Another called MCHC calcium usually absorbed well too. Don't get cheap on the calcium supplement as it takes time to work on changing the bone density strength and you want the supplement to truly get absorbed and working.

I also have osteopenia. Hips and spine area. My doctor gave m three sample Fosomax and a prescription. I came home read all the side effects and never took them. I take a calcium with vitamin D tablet twice a day. I go back next February for another bone density test. My mom does have severe osteoporis. I am 56 and she is 76. We are both small. She is 5'2" and 120. I am 4' 11" and 125.

Adrienne said:
Christina, you have just scared me! I have taken Actonel since February because I have osteopenia of the spine (my femurs and hips are normal) which is almost osteoporosis. I have taken calcium and vitamin D for years and years and walk every day, so I was the one who asked my doctor if I could take something. I have had no side effects, but after your post, I did some research on the Internet, and I'm now worried. I'm going to speak to my doctor about it when I see him this coming February.

One article I read said that only 7% of patients treated with biphosphonate develop a necrosis of the jaw. However, the same article said that even 3 years after stopping all treatment, the risk of necrosis is still there. This is really concerning me.

Another article said that approximately 96% of the more than thousand cases of osteonecrosis of the jaw attributed to bisphosphonates were after taking intravenous agents, whereas only 4% (26 cases) were associated with oral bisphosphonates (25 of the 26 with Actonel). Now I realize that the 4% of people that get it represents only a tiny, tiny percentage of all people, but it is still scary.

Since 25 of the 26 cases were from Actonel, maybe I should see what my doctor thinks of Fosomax. I would like to know how many people out there take some sort of bisphosphonate and which one do you take?

Adrienne,

Like Pam said below, all the Osteoporosis medications are in the same family, so beware.
As we all can see on the TV the pharmaceutacal companies are advertising these drugs and many others like crazy and have to be spending billions to get you and I (the stupid public) to take these high powered, dangerous drugs. Plus their reps sell the doctors on these drugs and the doctor will convince their patients that these drugs are actually safe. (just read the small print) Doctors are known to receive kickbacks and many goodies like trips, fancy dinners if they 'sell" so many drugs per month.

The trouble is that the risk of osteoporosis is much greater than the risk of necrosis of the jaw. The osteopenia of my spine was at -2.4 (at -2.5 it is considered osteoporosis). Up here there is a lot of ice and snow, and every year I fall on the ice at least once. I hate to think what would happen if my vertabrae fractured.:eek: What a dilemma!

Adrienne, I have those rubber harnesses to put over your shoes/boots. There are metal spikes on the bottom and you can walk on sheer ice with them on. Granted they don't make a fashion statement, but they have saved my neck on many a treacherous walk around the farm and on city sidewalks too.

Adrienne said:
The trouble is that the risk of osteoporosis is much greater than the risk of necrosis of the jaw. The osteopenia of my spine was at -2.4 (at -2.5 it is considered osteoporosis). Up here there is a lot of ice and snow, and every year I fall on the ice at least once. I hate to think what would happen if my vertabrae fractured.:eek: What a dilemma!

Boy, I think we're all on the same boat! I am at -2.4 also!

Like I said, I am not taking the boniva that was prescribed to me. I'm just taking the Oscal + Vitamin D although I've noticed that since I've started taking it, I tend to get constipated! :mad: I've only had one fracture (so far) in my lifetime & that was about 14 yrs ago when I fell off "Christine the Bike from Hell" & broke my left elbow! It worked out to my advantage though because after it healed I had a "natural bow" to my arm which proved to be beneficial in my archery competitions! Won a lot of trophies! :)

Oh well ......

Bina said:
Adrienne, I have those rubber harnesses to put over your shoes/boots. There are metal spikes on the bottom and you can walk on sheer ice with them on. Granted they don't make a fashion statement, but they have saved my neck on many a treacherous walk around the farm and on city sidewalks too.

Bina, I just bought a pair of really nifty boots created by a Canadian who went to Italy to design shoes and boots (I know, they don't have our weather). So, you have the Italian style and the ingenuity of a Canadian who knows what winter is all about!!! In any case, in the sole and the heel, there you can turn this thing around so that you either have the spikes or just a normal sole and heel (hard to explain). So, maybe I won't fall so much this year. However, I still don't want osteoporosis!!!

njean said:
Boy, I think we're all on the same boat! I am at -2.4 also!

Like I said, I am not taking the boniva that was prescribed to me. I'm just taking the Oscal + Vitamin D although I've noticed that since I've started taking it, I tend to get constipated! :mad: I've only had one fracture (so far) in my lifetime & that was about 14 yrs ago when I fell off "Christine the Bike from Hell" & broke my left elbow! It worked out to my advantage though because after it healed I had a "natural bow" to my arm which proved to be beneficial in my archery competitions! Won a lot of trophies! :)

Oh well ......

I've always had constipation problems (even before taking calcium). In any case, I also take magnesium which probably helps a bit with the constipation. Besides, magnesium is supposed to be very good for heart rhythm.

Bina said:
Adrienne, those boots sound fantastic!!!!!!!!!
Where can they be bought? Are they on the web?
Thanks.

Here is a link to show what it is all about:

http://www.ocsystem.it/default_gb.asp

I found them in a shoe store in Montreal called Terra Firma (for comfy shoes that are good for your feet). They have some surprisingly stylish shoes and boots there. I haven't inspected the website enough to know if you can buy them online. However, I think it is always a good idea to try boots and shoes on before buying them.

Side effects

Side effects

I'm getting very tired of the possible side effects of medicines. I had a very mild case of breast cancer in 2003 (stage 0) and after surgery & radiation was prescribed Arimidex. The side effect of Arimidex is bone loss; my last bone density test indicates osteopena so the oncologist put me on Fosamax. I don't know of any side effects it's causing me except financially. I'm 65 and got on the Medicare Part D in April. By Sept I was already in the "donut hole" and anything I need up to the end of 2007 is out-of-pocket. When I go back in Jan I'm asking the oncologist to take me off both of them! I can't afford this! :(

I have osteoporosis in part of my spine, osteopenia in another part. I've taken Fosamax or Boniva for the last 2+ years.
My PCP said he learned at a CE seminar that you don't need to continue taking Actonel/Fosamax/Boniva indefinitely, that the benefits build up to a certain point and then you can go off, don't know whether for just a while or permanently. He told me this about 1 year ago.

My dad has osteoporosis very badly. He'll be 79 on Jan. 14 and is very thin. Has always been skinny, in fact, but now I'll bet he only weighs maybe 110 pounds and he's about 5'5". He's had severe reflux problems for 40+ years, relating to surgery for a hiatal hernia, so he's not a candidate for oral meds for osteoporosis. He's read about the Rx by shots, and he refuses to go on it. There's no talking to him about it, telling him we're concerned for him.

No doubt that all medicines do have negatives as well as benefits. You have to outweigh the benefits of taking the drug vs. the risk, and if there are any alternative drugs or what the risk is if you do nothing.

csutherland said:
I'm getting very tired of the possible side effects of medicines. I had a very mild case of breast cancer in 2003 (stage 0) and after surgery & radiation was prescribed Arimidex. The side effect of Arimidex is bone loss; my last bone density test indicates osteopena so the oncologist put me on Fosamax. I don't know of any side effects it's causing me except financially. I'm 65 and got on the Medicare Part D in April. By Sept I was already in the "donut hole" and anything I need up to the end of 2007 is out-of-pocket. When I go back in Jan I'm asking the oncologist to take me off both of them! I can't afford this! :(

dang donut hole. I got there, too. All in all, with the monthly premiums, deductible and medicine cost, I am spending more this year than ever!!! And on no new meds. Ain't it a crock?

Latest posts

Back