Thank you everyone!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aniper,

I am so glad my Dad's good procedure and recovery can be an example to your Dad! My Dad loves to ski too! I am sure that he is disappointed to not ski this season, but I think that, toward the time of his surgery, that his breathing had been slightly effected and I know that he felt it was time to get the surgery behind him. I think living in the high altitude of the Denver area must take its toll! I really think that my Dad's activity, skiing and hiking, probably has him in better shape then most his age and I think that your Dad snow skiis gives him an edge too.

best,
suz

Good news and something to be aware of

Good news and something to be aware of

My Dad's recovery continues to be just great. He moved to a rehabilitation center just 8 days after his surgery that is associated with the hospital. He is showing some signs of the depression that is associated with heart surgery and I just found a great book that I ordered from Amazon. One of the comments mentioned that they were really glad to have gotten this book pre surgery to better prepare themselves and avoid the unwanted depression that can be associated with surgery and temporary loss of independence. This is the book's title. If anyone has any other material that they would recommend, I would really appreciate it.

Coping With Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression: A Family's Guide to the Medical, Emotional, and Practical Issues
by Carol Cohan MA, June B. Pimm Ph.D., Carol Patient's Guide to Heart Surgery Cohan

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1887841075/cm_sp_item/104-7781560-5624702?v=glance

Thanks so much,

Suz

Hi Suz-

Wonderful to hear that your dad's progressing well. Depression hits so many, many heart surgery patients, and indeed patients who have other major traumas. It usually goes away after a while. But if it hangs on more than your dad can cope with, medications help tremendously. Life's too short to be stewing around for too long. There are things to do and places to go.

Nancy,

Unfortunately he seems to be in denial/unaware of the connection between heart surgery and depression. My sister is contacting the lead nurse who he had so much faith in, along with the doc. Hopefully they can help orchestrate some help in this arena. The social worker just didn't cut it, it seems.

best,
suz

Latest posts

Back