*Thank you* ALL for your good wishes...........

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EireCara

'Hi' to everyone, I just wanted to let you know how I got on at my app yesterday. Im not going to bore you with all the details, but just to say that I might as well NOT have bothered going. Basically I explained that I am suffering with sob, chest pain, lack of energy and irregular heart beats/arrhythmias. I have a.fib and documented VT and tons of skipped beats etc.moderately leaking MV. But he told me to go home not worry about it and they would see me again in 6 months.

Sigh

Hi Jacqui,

I think getting a second opinion would be the best thing to do, if it's at all possible. That is your right. It's YOUR BODY AND YOUR LIFE.

Now the cute Scottsmann hmmmm........not a bad idea either!

Jacqui, I'm sorry your appt. turned out that way today. Have they ever had you wear a 48 holter monitor or anything like that? I can't believe they are just brushing off V-tach. How much does it cost to get private insurance there? I know we had it when we lived in the UK and I don't remember it being ridiculously expensive, but then again, I was used to paying US rates!

Kim

Jacqui, I'm sorry your appt. turned out that way today. Have they ever had you wear a 48 holter monitor or anything like that? I can't believe they are just brushing off V-tach. How much does it cost to get private insurance there? I know we had it when we lived in the UK and I don't remember it being ridiculously expensive, but then again, I was used to paying US rates!

Kim

Taking out private insurance now probably wouldn't help, they won't normally cover pre-existing conditions.

Yeah, you would probably need to win the lottery to afford private insurance with a pre-existing heart condition (you would in NZ anyway!)....but then again if you won the lottery, you wouldn't need to buy insurance of course!
Sorry to hear of your ongoing troubles with the system Jacqui - Bina's neighbour sounds like an interesting solution?

Basically I explained that I am suffering with sob, chest pain, lack of energy and irregular heart beats/arrhythmias. I have a.fib and documented VT and tons of skipped beats etc.moderately leaking MV. But he told me to go home not worry about it and they would see me again in 6 months.

Sigh
NOT to worry about it? Well obviously he isnt. They are downplaying alot here. I really worry about this being the normal standard for healthcare.
Is it possible for you to go anywhere else or maybe to pay just for a one-time second opinion? Maybe you could use the second opinion as a lever
to pry your doctors out of their sloth. Sorry to sound so harsh but you have been putting up with this for awhile now.

BTW-Are you on coumadin? Is your Afib continuous, and were you having VTach during your checkup?

I wish you the best,and the Scotsman sounds good...;)

Thank you all for your replies.

I actually got health insurance last september. I used all the money I got as gifts for my 50th birthday and some I had saved myself (boring but necessary). The problem is I cant use it for an existing health problem for 5 years.

I have worn holter monitors before. Thats where they caught the V.T and also while I was doing a stress test. They admitted me to the hospital right there because of it.

Dina, I go in and out of a.fib daily. Yes, I take warfarin, also Diltzem 120 twice daily and cardicor (betablocker). I went for a second opinion last June and the cardiologist said that he couldnt understand why they werent doing some more tests on me. He said if I were his patient he would and he named a few. But I cant afford to have them done with him unfortunately. He also said Im at the high end of normal for long QT and so I shouldnt take antiarrhythmics such as fleicanide etc. I sent his report on the the hospital in Dublin but when I asked them about it on Tuesday, they said they never received it.

Also last November, another cardoligist I see in my local hospital said he was going to write to Dublin to recommend a pacemaker (because I lost consiousness during an episode of irr hb's) but they said they didnt recieve that either.

When I get over my disappointment with our health system AGAIN I am going to look into these ''missing letters'' of course but it will take months and is sooo frustrating.

Thanks again everyone.

Hi Jacqui,
Did you ever consider going to France for a second opinion
The cost of going private is a fraction of the costs in Ireland
i.e. Cardiologist 40 to 100 euro
G.P. 23 euro
If you want any help? call or PM or Phone 0033143080995.
I live on the east side of Paris and it will be my pleasure to help you navigate through the French Medical System

Art, I havent considered doing that, but I certainly will give it some serious consideration. I have heard that the health system in France is second to none. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me this idea. You never know where you are going to find a solution ! Im going to do some research right now. Thank you, this gives me hope.

Back