Tenderlett Activation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALCapshaw

I'm curious as to how much force others find is necessary to activate the Tenderlett 'finger sticker'. The ones I have seem to require substantial force before the 'sticker' is activated. Is that normal?

After disassembly of a used unit, I see that the 'trigger' pushes on an activator bar which sits on a ledge above a ramp on the back of the head of the 'sticker'. It seems to me the ledge is too deep and I can see the activator bar bend before sliding down the ramp. If I push slowly, the trigger will go all the way down, bending the activator bar
but NEVER sliding down the ramp. In other words, the 'sticker' never comes out.

Is anyone else having this problem?

For those of you who have no problems with the Tenderlett, please explain your technique !

'AL'

Hi Al....this is going to be an interesting explanation, but here goes. When Tyce and I do the finger sticks, he holds the tenderlett very tightly to his finger from the top with his thumb, while I press into his finger and hit the red bar to activate the "sticker." It seems to work very well for us and we haven't had a problem with the finger stick. Hope that helps you.

Evelyn

Trouble getting my blood to flow

Trouble getting my blood to flow

Al, I too have trouble getting a good stick..Learned to really warm finger, hold below breast bone..and I find sticking more over to side instead of in the middle of finger helps.What makes me mad is the blood really flows after I struggle to fill cup..then bleed like a hog (old Alabama expression):D Bonnie

Technique

Technique

Al,

When I first got my machine, every single time I sliced my finger I got a bruise on it. Every single time!! I think it may have had something to do with what you are talking about. (Maybe they make them like this so that we won?t be accidentally setting them off all the time?) :eek: Anyway.. after using my machine for a couple months I finally got the hang of it. I hardly ever get a bruise now.

This is how I do it...

I hold the tenderlett snugly to my finger, not pushing... just snug. Towards the tip of the finger and to the side. Then trip the trigger and walla hopefully.. lots of blood runs out. :) If that's a problem --- there's tricks for that too! :p

I guess the trick is to trip the trigger without pushing the tengerlett into your finger too hard. I really does become very easy after you've done it a few times.

Good luck!

I love my machine.

Rain

Hey Al

Hey Al

Hey Al,

I believe that the tenderlett is never the same after it's first use. And I also think that the reason they designed it to have to be pressed so hard is so that you would be pressing it tight enough against your finger when the "sticker" was "launched" into your finger.

SO, am I reading everyone's experiences correctly that it takes a fairly HIGH level of pressure to trigger the Tenderlett?

Looks like I need to review the book and my technique. I've also had problems with either not enough blood or air bubbles in the blood if I need more than one drop to fill the cup.

After LOTS of Heart Procedures, you would think I could figure out how to do a simple finger stick :)

'AL'

Hi Al,

I haven't had any trouble with my technique, although it seems that I went through the learning curve like everyone else that wrote has. I do have a few comments to add.

It seems, like Bonnie, that the blood would finally flow well after I got my sample. I think that was due primarily to a case of nervousness. Now that I feel confident in the process, I am relaxed and rarely have trouble filling the holder.

As for air bubbles in the sample. I had the same issue at first, and found that after I drew the sample, tapping the tenderlett gently on the counter top until I see a a few small spots of blood on the counter from the tendelett funnel solved this problem because it got the air bubbles out of the sample prior to snapping in place for the test. I haven't had that problem since!

Hope this helps,

Rob

Last edited:
My two cents!!!

My two cents!!!

I have always said that for ease of use the Coagucheck machine is much easier and faster........I too, had the same problems one or another from time to time.......the Coagucheck requires one drop, yet the Protime unit requires several.....sometimes getting the tenderlett (where did they get that name??) into the machine is troublesome and then you have to start all over again because you are on the clock and I have run out of time several times. Now I fill my cup a lot sooner than activating the machine......maybe that's cheating but sometimes a drop of blood is all I can get out (at first)

To me, the PT machine makes a bigger mess........or I shud say, I make the bigger mess.

Bearer of bad news

Bearer of bad news

Hate to tell you Bob but I called QAS about filling the cup early NO>>NO>> the 2 min. time frame is all they allow without the blood clotting? Whatever..will get a bad reading. Cannot cheat.:D :D bonnieP.S. I took Rain's advise..went to tip of finger..off to the side. blood flowed good.

Hi Bonnie,

Yeppers... I was told the same thing from QAS.

I think the Coagucheck takes less blood because it does not recalabrate prior to the test, therefore, less blood sample.

However, I think that the Coagucheck instruction manual also states that calabration should be done prior to each test, which, would require more blood samples, several "sticks" ?

Perhaps someone that owns one can tell us exactly what the manual does recommend for this unit and testing procedures .

Rob

Last edited:
Coaguchek - ProTime

Coaguchek - ProTime

The calibrations with the coaguchek are done with a solution and not with actual blood from a stick I believe.

I for one don't really have a problem with getting blood out no matter which machine I use. I have used both and blood flows out of me without any trouble.

I like the ProTime because I own one and it has functioned flawlessly thus far.

The important thing is that everyone realize the importance of owning the personal responsibility of managing their own coumadin and INR levels.

If you can't manage it yourself - then it will not be properly and effectively managed. Of that I am convinced.

Blood letting....

Blood letting....

Hey Bob,

You think maybe they should have called it the ?razor?? Or maybe the ?slicer?? ?Blood letting device?? lol Any of them would work for me... who cares what they call it? Now you be nice.

My cardiologist has the coagucheck and I have the Protime. I?ve used both and I think they are very comparable. I betcha a million bucks, a person who has trouble with the Protime would also have trouble with the Coagucheck.

And it?s the first drop that?s the hardest, you crazy guy! I remember when I was shopping for one you recommended the Protime!! What happened? You sent me all kinds of comparrisons.. I think I still have them... wanna review them?

I?m sure you are not getting an accurate reading if you're not using the timer properly. I make sure my hands are warm, I do it at the end and to the side of the finger, swing my arm around a few times... sometimes cursing the whole situation (that may help!)... and I always have plenty of blood in half the alotted time. I always tap it on the counter before I put it in the thingy too.

Good luck,
Rain

Hey Rain

Hey Rain

I'm only saying for ease of use I find the Coagucheck a much more simple operation..........If you recall my recommending the Protime, it was because it was the only game in town....Coagucheck was not available but only to medical professionals.

Stop reading between my lines.........I'm not an advocate for Coagucheck..........just relaying my problems with Protime

Now is that understandable?

I don't see the proTime people offering their advice on this particular thread.

I thought they read this........Hank??

Understandable?

Understandable?

Bob,

The comparison you sent me showed the protime to be the more accurate machine, among other things.

I?m sorry you are unhappy and having problems. I would suggest you call their 800# for one on one help.

Lance is very easy to understand. :p

1-800-298-4515

Rain

Coaguchek was too available when I ordered mine!

Coaguchek was too available when I ordered mine!

And Bob....

The Coaguchek was not 'unavailable' when I got my machine! I actually had one ordered... cancelled the order and ordered the Protime after reading the material you sent me!! :p

Good luck, I hope you get it worked out. I wouldn't want to live without the machine. I think every coumadin user should have one.

Rain

I would like to suggest that there is 'not' a discrepancy between the two units and accuracy. Though, Roche has been in the game much longer that QAS.

At the time I purchased....... did have my choice between both units. My preference was for the Coaguchek. In my 'opinion', it is a much simpler unit to operate. Especially for a layman;).

Anyone considering purchasing a home INR test unit should try out both the Protime and Coaguchek before making a determination. Keeping in mind, once again.... this is a personal preference type of thing. They are both accurate machines.

I just did the "Rain Dance"

I just did the "Rain Dance"

and slung my arm all over the kitchen to get the blood flowing:D :D Filled that sucker in 30 sec. and God is Good..Scored a perfect 3.0..Came down from 4.3 by eating several dark salads..some coleslaw...now will go back to Iceberg Salad. Thanks Rain for suggestion to fling arm..Hubby thought I was going to hit him:D :D :D Bonnie

Tenderlette Activation

Tenderlette Activation

Hello,

If anyone has a problem with activating the Tenderlette, the time it takes to collect the blood, or anything regarding the use of the ProTime Montior, please call us ASAP. Not only do we have on-site nurses at our office, but we also offer a 24 hour paging service. Regarding the Tenderlette, did you all know that we have about 6 variations of fingerstick devices, and that if one dosn't work for you there are other options? Tenderlette Jr. only goes 1.50 mm, Tenderlette toddler 1.25 mm, and we even have a UniStik device for people who just can't seem to get enough blood. (2.0mm). If collecting the blood in the amount of time is a problem, you may want to get the ProTime 3 cuvettes, which require about the same abount of blood as the CoaguChek. If you don't have the ProTime 3 cuvettes, call us to see about the upgrade. I don't want to touch on the differences b/t the ProTime and the CoaguChek, but if anyone would like to discuss differences, you can call me at 800-298-4515 ext. 2865, or reach coaguchek at www.coaguchekusa.com. They do have a faster monitor, but unless you are doing a high volume of testing (ie, Coumadin Clinic), we haven't had much of a problem between a test that takes one minute(coaguchek) and one that takes four. (protime). Thanks, and sorry for the delay in the response.

Lance--QAS

Once More, Rain

Once More, Rain

I never said which machine was more accurate and I do remember the study that shows PT to be more accurate. But if compare Coagucheck with lab results ( see Coagucheck's report) they claim to be as accurate as a lab.

Now that lance has provided some alternatives to the standard Tenderlette, the next time I order will be with those alternatives. (see Lance's response)

I'm not saying I would want to live without the machine and I probably have used it longer than most here........I just mentioned the comparison of ease of use. That's All!!! And I have no desire to change machines.....(did I say I was switching machines or which one is better or accurate?)

Maybe you shud get a bumper sticker so everyone knows that you are a ProTime affectionado.........

Dang, Bob... be mellow.

Dang, Bob... be mellow.

I don?t do bumper stickers.... I think they?re tacky. :p

Have a wonderful day, Mr. Gleason.

Rain

P.S. I?ve been self testing once a week for over two years.

Bonnie,

That is so hilarious! My family has referred to it as a "Rain Dance" too! lol

Latest posts

Back