Tenatively Scheduled Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

Well, I went and tentatively scheduled surgery with Svensson for July 10. His assistant was nice, but said that this doesn't typically happen (that is someone going for it when he recommended against it). I have one more consult with Dr. Duke Cameron at Hopkins on June 9 so things could change or I could chicken out. I still don't get why so many docs are saying hold off.

Thank you to all of you for walking me through this.

Well, I went and tentatively scheduled surgery with Svensson for July 10. His assistant was nice, but said that this doesn't typically happen (that is someone going for it when he recommended against it). I have one more consult with Dr. Duke Cameron at Hopkins on June 9 so things could change or I could chicken out. I still don't get why so many docs are saying hold off.

Thank you to all of you for walking me through this.

Good to see things are moving along,and don't chicken out cus
you'll feel so much better in the end of all this.
They held off on my 2nd surgery for various reasons one being surgeon got ran over by a car,i don't know why they put things off soooo long but i still
had to keep at mine to get me in with a different surgeon in Jan or i'm sure
they'd still not have surgery done :eek:my symptoms got worse not better.The waiting is the very difficult part of all this.

(Keep at them) good luck on June 9th keep us posted.

zipper2 (DEB)

Well your feelings are your feelings. I would ask the doctor's straight out "If you had this aneurysim (spelling?) in your body, would you wait?" There are no guarantees that you won't rupture or dissect before you reach their magic numbers. However, you can pretty much give yourself a less worried life if they fix it now. Good Luck to you in whichever way you go.

The whole point is, sooner or later it's going to have to be dealt with. Why wait for disaster to happen. Preemptive strikes are better. These guys rely on stats and studies and like I've said a thousand times before, none of them means crap if it goes South for you.

Congratulations, that is one of the most difficult steps in the process. Hope you are feeling some comfort in having reached this milestone.

Congratulations.

If you DO chicken out please be sure to give the site details to someone so they can contact Ross to enable him to post your demise in "In Loving Memory" because without surgery that is where you will end up, for sure.

I have lost two very good friends who 'chickened out' of having cardiac surgery, one was 'frightened that she wouldn't wake up' after the surgery, the other (a very macho man) decided that 'it isn't time yet, I will have it done later'. I miss you Doreen and Larry.

It would be interesting to ask Dr. Svensson "exactly what benefit do you see to postponing surgery for a BAV patient with an Aortic Aneurism?"

I think we would all like to hear his answer!

Plus we would LOVE to hear his answer to the question of where did he draw his conclusions about mechanical valve recipients declining cognitive function?????

Still waiting, Dr Svensson......

Plus we would LOVE to hear his answer to the question of where did he draw his conclusions about mechanical valve recipients declining cognitive function?????

Still waiting, Dr Svensson......

Oh I'm sure I can answer that, but to avoid a huge war, I'll shut my mouth.

Survivors
Dr. Michael E. DeBakey, who devised the surgery to correct aortic dissection (as well as other cardiovascular and vascular techniques). Dr. DeBakey was also noteworthy for being the oldest patient ever to receive his own operation: he was 97 at the time of his surgery on February 9 and 10 of 2006. He survived and, though he worked with physical therapists to walk on his own again after suffering muscle deconditioning from prolonged physical inactivity during recovery, retained all of his mental faculties and was back to working nearly a full day until his death of natural causes on July 11, 2008. (See [1] published 25 December, 2006, in the New York Times).

Ross said
Oh I'm sure I can answer that, but to avoid a huge war, I'll shut my mouth.

Ross I thought you were going to say you knew but you could not remember or that we would have to add that to your list of problems (not) :)

DeBakey also refused to have his own aneurysm repaired and let it grow to a huge size before others stepped in and convinced him to go ahead.

I don't think I am going to chicken out. It is going to take a very compelling case -- and at this point I see none -- to convince me to wait. (It would have to be someone with a crystal ball saying, we guarantee you won't burst until 5.5cm.)

I actually am going to reschedule it for July 30 because of a conflict on our end, but unless Cameron blows my socks off at Hopkins (which he may) and he has something sooner, I think I will be going under the knife on July 30.

It would be interesting to ask Dr. Svensson "exactly what benefit do you see to postponing surgery for a BAV patient with an Aortic Aneurism?"

I think we would all like to hear his answer!

Cleveland Clinic holds monthly online chats, and the question could be submitted.

Great job heartman, you've made a tough decision and we all support you (to the point of practically shoving you through the door and onto the gurney :))

Glad to hear you're gettin' fixed (and not in the way that most men fear!)

Melissa

Shoot, then I must have been truly lucky. I posted a question and received and answer during a chat in March. He could give it a try. I believe there is a chat coming up on June 2nd.

I got notice of the chat yesterday and promptly got another email recalling the first, so guess it's not going to be 6/2.

Great job heartman, you've made a tough decision and we all support you (to the point of practically shoving you through the door and onto the gurney :))

Melissa

Melissa are you depriving us of once again, having the opportunity to operate on a patient here in the forum? Duffman wussed out on us last time. :D

Back