Tell Me It Gets Better!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalmist

I am back to running after a stent of being lazy and lack of motivation! I have started running 3 miles a night. I like it! I can tell I have come a long ways since a year ago. I am at 23+ minutes for 3 miles right now. Not bad compared to last years time. I hope to improve on this and get below twenty! Big hopes right? Well, currently my problem is when I first start its like dragging a load of bricks! I don't even want to start. I'd rather sit on the couch and nap! What the crap! I feel like a lazy slob. I wished it was easier to be motivated. I feel great once I get started though. Tell me it gets better. Please.:D

IT GETS BETTER!!!! There, feel better???? :)
Actually there are ways to get over this and keep running....vary your route, vary the distance, (there is nothing magical about 3 miles), find a group to run with once a week (this will keep you motivated to run and get better between group runs), find a local race and sign up (most benefit a needy charity).....
And BTW you are doing great in your recovery and times...

Do you do a warm-up before running? If not, try a routine to warm up your muscles and get the circulation going. Finish with some LIGHTstretches. You may already do these, but if not, I found when I was a runner, that it got me litereally pumped up and made the beginning of the run a lot less sluggish.....especially in the winter and in the dark. I do the same thing before I ride my bike.

One of the things that keeps me motivated is doing races. I'm not all that serious about actually competing, but it helps me to keep disciplined and focused with my workouts.

The hardest thing for me is getting up early to working out. Putting that first foot on the floor when it's still dark outside is the toughest part of the entire workout. If I can get into a routine it's not too bad, but skipping a few days and then trying to get going again is hard.

Mark

Seth,

It definitely does get better after a while of doing it continually...it becomes a routine and a habit. But definitely warm up before and cool down after and you shall feel much better.

You have to ask yourself one question: Where will I be in five or six months from today?. Now, you have two choices:

The First choice is to keep sitting on the couch and give up on exercise.

The second Choice is to push yourself to exercise and increase it a bit each time until it becomes a part of your routine.

Now, look at yourself afte the five or six months (not today, not tomorrow)...look at the results of each choice you made and compare them.

You shall definitely feel fit and trim and happy and healthy with good circulation of blood all over your body (2nd choice); or

if you chose the first one, you shall be mooooooooore sluggggggish and laaaaaaaazier, more bored with lots of guilty feeling and confusion from not helping yourself feel better.

Anytime you want first choice, medidate on imagining yourself full of energy, playing with your son and enjoying each other, and enjoying the energetic feeling and the better health you shall achieve. I think this should be a great incentive to push you to exercise and be as healthy as you can for your son and wife and for yourself!

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

I generally feel like cr** for a mile or two starting out. Warming up and dynamic stretching help. So does keeping at it. Some days I tell myself to run a mile and see what happens. Low and behold, after a mile, I decide to keep going. BTW, your times are wonderful! Best wishes for meeting your sub 20 goal.

Improving!

Improving!

It's getting better!! I am now solid at being below 24. Not too much below but below. I feel that if I pushed it I could swing a 23. I think it is totally reasonable to pull 22 at the "Run To The Lights" at Silver Dollar City in Branson in Early November if I keep at it. I ran it in 28 min last year. I am very excited. We'll see. It feels good to run. I think it is therapeutic in dealing with my surgery. I know it has been close to two years now but I am just now starting to face all of the fears down and realizing that life does go on. Thanks for all of your support!!!:D

It's getting better!!...... I know it has been close to two years now but I am just now starting to face all of the fears down and realizing that life does go on. Thanks for all of your support!!!:D

Good for you Seth. The Acceptance that we reeeaaallly did have Open Heart Surgery and came thru it OK is a BIG part of Recovery. You are limited only to the extent you let yourself be limited.

Sounds like you are doing great, both in training and attitude! Keep up the good work!

Mix'n it up

Mix'n it up

OK. I thought I would try and mix it up some so I could work on some speed. I tracked out a mile at my house and timed it. I did great, sorta. A good portion of it is slightly down hill. I would have rather done it somewhere else but it is where it is. I timed in at just under 7 min. for the mile. I could really tell I am needing to work on my lungs. They did not want to keep up. I have decided to mix in short fast runs in my work out to get my lungs conditioned. If I can I think I can sustain a better pace throughout the 5k. I am really excited to be doing better. It seemed like I was stuck at one speed forever. Thanks for the support!

Wow! Great times!

Our club just started doing speed workouts. Last week we did hill work at a park barefoot and then we did flat all out sprints. Basically, we had a nice slow 1 mile jog to the part, then, we would run up the hill as fast as we could, walk down the hill to recover and do it again 5 more times.

When we finished that, we ran 100 yard sprints in the grass 6 times (also barefoot) but instead of walking back, we ran backwards back to the starting point and then rested before doing it again. When we were finished with that, we did a quick 1 mile run, rested and then a slow 1.5 mile run to cool off.

The week before that we did laps around the track at the H.S. 400 meters as fast as you could with an active recovery, 400 meters as fast as you could, active recovery, 800 meters as fast as you could. Take a water break and do it all over again. Of course, it was 2 miles to the track, which made for a 2 mile run back to the store when we were finished.

I'll tell you, speed workouts hurt.. but man I felt strong, really strong two days afterwards and when I did my 10 mile run a few days later it just felt great.

Good for you Seth. The Acceptance that we reeeaaallly did have Open Heart Surgery and came thru it OK is a BIG part of Recovery. You are limited only to the extent you let yourself be limited.

I believe this 100%!! You have to be aware of what's going on, but limitations are mostly in your mind.

Seems not too many like the speed workouts but they certainly are beneficial. I typically run track one day a week and do hill repeats one day a week. On the track I vary from week to week but my favorites are 800s with 400 rest interval. When I'm in marathon training mode I try to work up to 8 to 10 in a session. On the hills I do anywhere between 6 to 10 repeats that take somewhere between 2:15-2:30 minutes. The hill I use is actually a little too long and steep for repeats but I figure it makes me stronger.
Jeff, sounds like your running group has the right idea. Unfortunately for me I end up doing all my speed workouts alone and know I'd do better if I had company. Not many people want to hit the track at 5:00AM, if at all.:D

get a partner

get a partner

Hi, get a running partner and set a time, you will be less likely to hang on the couch when you pal is at your front step... I am sure you will get there!
enjoy!

Latest posts

Back