TAVR Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glooney34

Anyone with experience with TAVR with Edwards Sapient XT? Surgeon is recommending this because I need Cancer surgery ASAP after the AVR. Recovery time is much less .It would be a Shands in Florida

My Mom has had a lobe-ectomy and has chemo every two weeks for lung cancer, which has been kept at bay so far for the last few years. She had the Edwards Sapien done on Tuesday and is doing extreemly well! She is 81 and any other type of surgery is risky. They went in through her rib cage and I guess find a vein then up to her heart. They said these valves do sometimes leak when placed, but hers went in perfectly and has no leaks. Now we both have cow valves working for us.

Thanks for the info. I am 80 and they say my body can't handle two major surgeries, OH and cancer, in a short period of time. The Sapient XT addresses the leak issue, I'm told. So TAVR seems to be the way to go for me. They have to qualify me as being sick enough or the two surgeries issue. More tests next week.

I have no experience but want to wish you well with both cancer treatment and TAVR.

We haven't had many posts by TAVR recipients, so I hope you'll return after your successful recovery and tell us about it!

TAVR is discussed in the document linked in this thread: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Advances-in-Aortic-Valve-amp-Aneurysm-Surgery. Starting about page 28. What I took away from the discussion is that the procedure is very simple and quick, has very high success rates and outcomes (better than surgery), but there are questions about how long it lasts, and so it is still reserved for people with other issues that could complicate OHS. Sounds like this gives you an option to quickly fix your valve and then focus on the cancer. Good luck.

My aunt had TAVR with Edwards valve at age 85 a year and a half ago. She had alot of other health issues. So far, so good for her! Wishing you all the best.

Don, Thanks for the play by play. The issue of pain, I was told. depends on the hospital and the nurses. I too, have a low threshold for pain. Thanks for the heads up. I will ask my surgeon about that. Jerry

From reading the many posts, it seems a big issue is pain after surgery. Is it because the pain medication was withheld or the patient didnt' ask for it?

glooney34;n845112 said:
From reading the many posts, it seems a big issue is pain after surgery. Is it because the pain medication was withheld or the patient didnt' ask for it?

Looking back on it, now that it has been a couple months, the pain was really pretty minor, especially when compared to OHS. I was given plenty of pain meds and have a bunch left over.

Latest posts

Back