Tamiflu

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a release about Tamiflu. Can't recall what exactly? Will see if I can find a link.

Pam is correct. It's about what you do daily. Supplements are great if the diet is lacking. Zicam is a godsend!

My family both had the flu something awful. Never got it. Also had the flu shot. BUT, this year it did not cover all strains.

I would ask hubby to sleep in another room. Or...take the couch yourself. Mine spends half his life in the air. Always sick in the winter. Then there is the school aged child! As much as I love my family. If I have a large job on the books. It's guest room time. Can't afford to be down!

Tamiflu from 06 FDA Warning

Tamiflu from 06 FDA Warning

Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate)

Audience: Pediatric and primary care healthcare professionals and patients
[Posted 11/13/2006] Roche and FDA notified healthcare professionals of revisions to the PRECAUTIONS/Neuropsychiatric Events and Patient Information sections of the prescribing information for Tamiflu, indicated for the treatment of uncomplicated acute illness due to influenza infection in patients 1 year and older who have been symptomatic for no more than 2 days and for the prophylaxis of influenza in patients 1 year and older.There have been postmarketing reports (mostly from Japan) of self-injury and delirium with the use of Tamiflu in patients with influenza. People with the flu, particularly children, may be at an increased risk of self-injury and confusion shortly after taking Tamiflu and should be closely monitored for signs of unusual behavior. A healthcare professional should be contacted immediately if the patient taking Tamiflu shows any signs of unusual behavior.

[November 13, 2006 - Letter - Roche]
[November 13, 2006 - Prescribing Information - Roche]
[November 13, 2006 - Patient Package Insert - Roche]

Thanks Gina!

I have been sleeping in the family room. I've also been doing the Zicam religiously. For the last few days I've felt like I have a bit of a cold coming on, but nothing else as yet. We're on day 4 of Husband Turned to Giant Germ, but he says he's feeling better today.

I usually don't get so paniced about the possibility of getting sick, but I have 4 worship services between now and next Sunday (Easter) and getting what he got would just mess that all up incredibly. Not to mention that my little Avatar and her parents are flying in for a 4 day visit next Friday.

It's always when you are overbooked! It think it is normal to panic when the schedule is so full.

Here is to 'avoding the plague!':eek: I like to call it that. Or air crud in the Hubbys case. It can be done.:)

Hi

My little grandsons had the respiratory flu at Christmas and I had been with them. My daughter took them to the pediatrician and he gave her a prescription for Tamiflu for herself, her husband and for me after finding out I had had valve replacement. He said to call my cardio and let him know I was taking it just to double check. But it amazed me that he wrote the prescription. I didn't have any adverse effects from it and it didn't change my INR. The flu this season is especially bad.

Evelyn

Thanks Evelyn, that's really good to know. I was wondering what the effect would be on the INR.

I think I have managed (with Zicam, nasal rinses and lots of fluid) to keep it to a mild cold. Typhoid Glenn did not hit me full force and I'm grateful.

can you share cyber flu? I have it pretty bad. Fever and all! I sit in a confined space once a week for jury duty. I am CERTAIN...that is where it came from! I wanted to pull the medical card upfront. Will see what my GP has to say now. Can't afford that kind of exposure, especially if it is avoidable!

All this talk about Tamiflu...landed me some 'Tamiflu'! Fever and respiratory symptoms stated yesterday. Though, my gp thinks what was going on was some sort of unrelated GI bug. (first) They gave me the tamiflu and ordered cultures to check for dif strains of bacteria, food borne illness. As well as a flu test. Which was quite ugly! With any hope...my fever will break tomorrow! OH...and no more Jury duty. She does not want me sitting with folks in a confinded place (if it can be avoided)

Keep me posted Gina - I may have spoken to soon. I just got up from a 2 hour nap because I was feeling a bit achy and headachy. If I feel borderline again tomorrow I'll be calling the doc too.

Will do. Hope you feel better. I don't have a baseline INR. BUT, will take one in the am (after two doses of Tamiflu) suspect the INR will be high as I have not been eating much since Thurs. :rolleyes:

We can add nausea to reported Tamiflu side effects. Doing everything I can to keep my mind off it!

Keeping in mind....still recovering from GI issues. So that may be my issue!

INR 3.2. Limited diet. I expected the INR to be high alone. Could be that Tamiflu slightly lowers the INR. Otherwise..would tend to believe my levels would have been higher with lack of caloric intake.

Please don't all take offence, IMHO a bit of over reaction on here.
We need to be careful with our termanology.
Flu is influenza, a highly infectious life threatening lung condition, especially for us VR folk.
A runny nose, sneezing and temperature, are a nasty common cold.
To use 'flu' as a generic term for common cold is incorrect and can cause alarm.
Tamiflu protects us against some full on influenza strains. Vulnerable as we are, we need it. If there was an influenza pandemic it would be weak to the wall first. In the UK all VR patients should be given a free flu jab on the NHS at their GP's. Other at risk groups also get a freebie. I have had one each year for many years now. IIRC Tamiflu offers no protection against the common cold. Except maybe a placebo one?
The downside to global, widespread Tamiflu use, is smart influenza will build up a resistance to it. Wouldn't trouble the drug companies though ££££££. The son of Tamiflu is probably in the labs now ready to make them shed loads.

No offense taken. I do have Influenza B. Confirmed by a lab test. I had taken the flu shot previously Make a point of it prior to 11/01 each season. We had strains that were obviously not covered.

For myself, the Tamiflu was not a replacement for the vaccine. It was prescribed to treat my Influenza B symptoms. i.e. lesson the duration. In fact, it is working very well.

Just wanted to clear the air;)

PS. On resistance. The strains change yearly. So I don't think anyone will have to worry about resistance.

Gina, pleased to know you are fighting the 'flu. Not however pleased it is flu flu, much rather it was a severe cold.:)
Regards resistance, don't the strains change in part as an aggressive biological tactic to overcome Tamiflu and it's like? Part of the same story as antibiotic resistant MRSA :eek:

The idea behind the flu vaccine is to capture next seasons strain, prior to the next flu season. (which is an estimate) If they are off ever so slightly we end up where we are this year. Strains that are resistant to the vaccine.

As far as I am aware, Tamiflu is a general antiviral. Properties remain the same and are not targeted toward a specific strain. We have more issues with people taking antibiotics for a viral infection like the flu. Which will up chances of antibiotic resistance. Tamiflu is not an antibiotic.

So how is our stomach doing? Do you think the Tamiflu is responsible for your feeling better?

I don't know if it what here or some place else, but I read that 65% of the flu being report was not covered by this year's vaccine. (I think it was here.)

Karlynn said:
I don't know if it what here or some place else, but I read that 65% of the flu being report was not covered by this year's vaccine. (I think it was here.)
But 67.3% of statistics are made up on the spot...;)

Stomach issues were non related. According to the doc. Secondary to Flu B. In which I feel the Tamiflu is helping dramatically. This is day 6. Would say day 5 was uphill with fever breaking. Others have reported being down for 7 days. So I think the duration is lessoned. Also added Mucinex for the congestion. Breaking it up nicely. No rush to get out. Can't beleive we have more snow!

Back