Sylviayasgur's fathers surgery tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoVeNY25

Hi Sylvia, I know your dad's surgery is tomorrow and I just wanted to add my well wishes. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. I hope the cath and INR went well. Please let us know if you need anything. Stay strong for Daddy! Take care and God Bless!

Nicole, thanks for the reminder.

Sylvia - I pray that everything goes well for your Dad.

Sylvia - I will keep your dad in my thoughts tomorrow, especially, and throughout his recovery.

All the best,

thank you all so much...

thank you all so much...

hi all,
my dad had his cath on wed. he was very nervous because he was aniticipating the possibility of CAD and then that might mean he wouldn't be a candidate for the minimally invasive procedure. luckily (thanks to everyone's prayers_ they DO work), he was free and clear and had his mvr yesterday.

they found, when they opened him up, that his tricuspid valve was in good shape and left it alone, just repairing his mitral. as far as ablation was concerned, they found that his afib originates elsewhere and were unable to do that also.

i am thrilled about all this, since another patient of dr.colvin's who happens to be my dad's good friend, had that done and now has a pacemaker and defibrillator. my dad's been in chronic afib since 1998 and takes coumadin for his st. judes av, so i couldn't really understand what the point was of doing it (my dad is so used to the afib, it really doesn't bother him that much).

all in all, it seemed to take longer this time around for him to come out of the anesthesia. when he did see us, tears came out of the corners of his eyes (while totally hooked up, etc).
i spoke with his nurse in recovery last night and she told me that she had taken the chest tube out!!! that was so uplifting, since i was starting to get worried.

i will be spending the next few days in the hospital (stayed with my mom at her hotel in nyc for a few nights), but will be coming home at night and will have a chance to update you all.

thanks so much for your concern, prayers, well wishes, etc. i am going to print out your posts and take them to my dad today. hopefully, he'll join us one of these days.

be well all,
sylvia
xoxoxoxoxo

Hi Syl

SOOOO glad things went well. I'm putting your family in my prayers, too, right next to Nancy and Joe.

Evelyn

I'm so glad to read your news. Now we'll be praying for a smooth, uneventful recovery.

Wonderful news, Sylvia. Best wishes to the entire family for a smooth and uneventful recovery.

Outstanding when you think it about it all.

Dad relax and get well. Your still with us and your daughter would like you to be for a long time to come. :)

I'm so glad to hear that your dad's surgery went well, Sylvia. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers throughout his recovery.:)

Hi Sylvia, Glad to hear Dad's surgery went well. Continued thoughts and prayers to him, your mom and family. All the best for a speedy, uneventful, boring recovery.

P.S. To Sylvia's Dad- Hopefully when your feeling up to it, you can come and visit us here at VR.com. We'd love to "meet" the man who raised such a wonderful caring woman like Sylvia. Take it easy, rest, rest and more rest!

thanks , thanks, thanks, i love you all!

thanks , thanks, thanks, i love you all!

hi,
yesterday was a better day. he still has no pain, is alert and talking. the only thing is that the ccu is in this huge room with no windows and very few clocks. he is disoriented as to time of day/night, so we left him with his watch which helps a lot.
the fellow, this adorable german doc, surgeon who works under dr. colvin has been around to talk to us quite a bit. she's brilliant, in charge of him and so personable_ we love her.

he has been put back on coumadin and a bit of heparin to start him back.
they hope to be moving him to a room today. he started hallucinating last night accusing the nurses of stealing things (has has no things there). they had not wanted to give him a sleeping pill b/c his pulse rate_ surprisingly_ without his meds, is low. they finally gave him some kind of sedative to help him calm down and he is resting now (well needed, he was up talking to us all day without even dozing off!!! he must be exhausted!!!)

in a nutshell, i reassured my mom that this is common when certain painkillers are given and that joey had the same thing happen when he took percoset in the hospital. the doc was not concerned.

i am headed back there today to see if they move him and spend some time with him. i am taking a printout of this thread (with avatars!) so he can see some of you and read all your well wishes.

thank you all for all your caring and concern.
will post when i get home later.
i love you all,
sylvia
xoxoxo

Hope he gets moved out of ICU soon, Sylvia. Glad you reassured your mother about the hallucinating- it is common,but very scary, especially when it happens to us Seniors!:eek: Best wishes to you all.

Hi Sylvia and Dad:

I'm glad all went well and, as long as he's loopy, I hope dad starts having "I won the lottery" hallucinations!:D My husband was sure "the marketing guys" were out to get him after his recent surgery and my uncle was flying around the room!

All the best to you, Sylvia's Dad. Take it slow and steady.:)

Sylvia, I've been thinking about you and your family a lot today. I think you are just getting too much experience in this area! I hope your dad's mind is clear today and he has an uncomplicated recovery and I'm sure everyone else here does as well.

you are all so wonderful

you are all so wonderful

hi all,
had a really difficult day. when i got to the ccu, the nasty nurses ( i am amazed) asked me if my dad acted this way at home. he had apparently had a really bad night. witnessed a fellow ccu-er's heartbeat stop and them resussitate him, was totally paranoid that the nurses (who were awful) were out to "get" him, etc.
my dad actually (gotta laugh, cause he's so weak) slugged a nurse (female) in the belly. they restrained him last night at 1 am and gave him a strong dose of haldol.
when i questioned that, the nurse became very agitated and defensive... " are you a nurse?".

i'm glad he was moved out of ccu and is in post op recovery upstairs. he will be moved to a step down unit tomorrow. he seems less "out of it". maybe it was icu psychoses? in any case, he will tell you clearly that those nurses were not nice ( and i can attest to it).

he has been sitting in a chair and is calmer.

what i've learned this week:
each doctor/surgeon/ hospital does things very differently ( and remember, i've seen 2 of these already, both very similar, this one quite different).
dr. colvin has apparently followed a study that shows that once the patient is out of surgery, you should make sure his sugar levels are stable. so what they do is give the patient insulin.
i'd never seen this done before. iron, maybe, but not insulin.
apparently, studies show that this speeds recovery time.
also, i've never seen joey or my dad in the past receive albuterol to open lungs. they've always been encouraged to sit in a chair or walk early on_ not here.

also, he administers albuterol immediately following surgery. if any of you know about this, it's an asthma med and can make you a bit hyper/anxious/ antsy. since my dad has been sitting in a chair today, he's been coughing up a lot of lung remnants. they have not had to give him albuterol today and he's much calmer and at peace with his environment.

sorry to be so longwinded, but it's been a horrible day. a cardio on call actually told me that they might have to do a psych consult and put him on permanent meds for this paranoid delusional state. can you imagine????
she said that the " hypoxia during surgery" might have caused this.

all in all, he seemed calm and tired and wanted us to leave so he could sleep_ good sign. i am worried about his inr, which is 1.3 (up from 1.2 last night before they started the hep and coumadin). i worry that he is protected since he is in chronic afib and has a mechanical av.
the fellow in charge (who is the only one we've seen) said that he' d be fine.

interestingly, being used to a paul stelzer and paul damus, both of whom have close contact with their patients after surgery, dr. colvin _ despite his brilliance_ has been a great disappointment. we've yet to see the man. also, the assigned cardio is nowhere to be found.

sorry, i didn't mean to be so wordy, but we have all been shocked by this experience. as long as my dad comes out healthy and soon, as he says:" hope i get out by monday", i can accept all of this.

thanks for your concerns and well wishes.
i will certainly be the one to give an " alternative view" to going with dr.colvin at nyu.

i'll try and keep you posted.
thanks and all the best to you,
sylvia
hugs to you all
xoxoxoxo

Back