Sweet 16 for Bovine Aortic Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnycake23

Two-time AVR Vet
My cow valve is now eligible to drive. Took a stress test last week and all checked out well ("passed with flying colors," said the electrophysiologist). So that was encouraging. I'm 57 years old, and I don't know how long this moo-moo will last, but for now there are blue skies ahead. Nice news going in to the holidays. Good luck to us all.

Great news! Encouraging to hear this as I had my valve replaced in 2022 with a bovine :)
Here's to many many more years!

My cow valve is now eligible to drive. Took a stress test last week and all checked out well ("passed with flying colors," said the electrophysiologist). So that was encouraging. I'm 57 years old, and I don't know how long this moo-moo will last, but for now there are blue skies ahead. Nice news going in to the holidays. Good luck to us all.
Congratulations!!! I'm going in January to most likely begin the trek to replace an aortic with severe stenosis. They're recommending bovine, partially due to my age (will be 72 next April). Starting to see more and more successes and it's definitely making me more comfortable...terrified, but very encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

Hi
Starting to see more and more successes and it's definitely making me more comfortable...terrified, but very encouraging.
As an alternative view consider it an amazing experience and not just the surgery but the gift of recovery.

I hope you have a smooth landing after surgery.

Best wishes

I am wondering. If this were a car and you planned to take a long trip or to use the car regularly for a long commute would you wait for something to go out or would you replace the obvious knowing you are on borrowed time? Some cars have to have a significant maintenance replacement done near 100,000 miles. You do it at that time and don't wait for it to wear out. That part might last 200,000 but you plan for it to be replaced so you don't end up broken down sitting on a major repair to get going again. A replacement of a replacement at 57 is different than 2, 5, 7+ years older. Your financial, healthcare, housing or family situation could change for better or worse as well. You might set a record and be in history books. You lose that opportunity if you jump ship. However, it won't last as long as you are likely to live right? Has any of this been discussed with the doc or is it generally a practice to wait for it to start malfunctioning?

I am wondering. If this were a car and you planned to take a long trip or to use the car regularly for a long commute would you wait for something to go out or would you replace the obvious knowing you are on borrowed time? Some cars have to have a significant maintenance replacement done near 100,000 miles. You do it at that time and don't wait for it to wear out. That part might last 200,000 but you plan for it to be replaced so you don't end up broken down sitting on a major repair to get going again. A replacement of a replacement at 57 is different than 2, 5, 7+ years older. Your financial, healthcare, housing or family situation could change for better or worse as well. You might set a record and be in history books. You lose that opportunity if you jump ship. However, it won't last as long as you are likely to live right? Has any of this been discussed with the doc or is it generally a practice to wait for it to start malfunctioning?
People with tissue based valves get routine testing to verify the valve is still operating properly. As mentioned by johnnycake23, his testing included a stress test. You don't wait "for it to start malfunctioning" but replace it before it has problems.

Congrats on the 16 yrs! The cow valve they tried did not make it past the surgeon's inspection, so threw in the pig valve instead. That one failed after 8 years, so June 22 went mechanical at 55.
More power to you - hope the moo-moo keeps on going.
For what its worth - mine failed suddenly - weekend of decent exercise - and symptoms were tightness in chest and wooshing sound in my ears as I tried planking on forearms and toes. It was definite change in rhythm. And it was a month later before I got the surgery.
So even if the valve were to fail, there is still time for the ticker repair shop to come to the rescue.
Live big!

Just passed 9 years with my bovine aortic valve - still going strong per the electrophysiologist - but I also just had my third "reboot" (cardioversion) and I've also had two ablations since the surgery - so I'm on warfarin probably for life (I'm 76). I did get a lifetime warranty though...

People with tissue based valves get routine testing to verify the valve is still operating properly. As mentioned by johnnycake23, his testing included a stress test. You don't wait "for it to start malfunctioning" but replace it before it has problems.
Curious, if it is not malfunctioning what in the test indicates it is not operating properly so it is replaced before the malfunctioning stage? Not operating properly and malfunctioning are synonymous.

Last edited:
Just passed 9 years with my bovine aortic valve - still going strong per the electrophysiologist - but I also just had my third "reboot" (cardioversion) and I've also had two ablations since the surgery - so I'm on warfarin probably for life (I'm 76). I did get a lifetime warranty though...

Love the comment about the "lifetime warranty".

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad it brought some encouragement to others. Hope all you stateside members had a happy and hearty Thanksgiving.

Not sure I understand the automobile analogy, but as @tom in MO said, "People with tissue based valves get routine testing to verify the valve is still operating properly." That's certainly the case for me. I see my electro and cardio each twice a year for updates to monitor the valve's performance and degeneration, and when (not if) the time comes for it to be replaced due to "malfunctioning" or "not working properly" or whatever, a decision will be made on how to proceed. I remember the words of one of the members on the site (I'm paraphrasing, and I believe it was @pellicle ) that we make our surgical decisions based on the information in front of us at that time.

On the other hand, I'm reminded that the oil needs changing on my Subaru. Where's that Jiffy Lube coupon?

Good morning
remember the words of one of the members on the site (I'm paraphrasing, and I believe it was @pellicle ) that we make our surgical decisions based on the information in front of us at that time.
Seems like something I'd say.

Information should be gathered in advance, decisions made when the time comes.

Best Wishes

I will chalk this up to not comprehending my car analogy. I am going to approach this differently. A consequence is that it will appear more pessimistic. Unintentional, it is just a question. I am not worried. I am wondering about what you have considered.

If you are not waiting for the valve to malfunction what are you waiting for? So far you got 16 years out of it. It will not last forever. What is there to gain by keeping this one as long as possible? You may be in equally fine shape for years to come, maybe not. Are you leveraging the time so this one isn't replaced too soon in case the next is a short timer hoping to avoid a third?

To further clarify my interest, if it were me I would get that replaced sooner than later. I would consider the medical options and cost out of pocket now vs. later. I would want who I have available to me currently involved rather than gamble on a future of unknowns (i.e. surgeon, cardiologist, hospital, etc.).

I experienced a dramatic change in my outlook in a very short period of time. 3 years ago I was anticipating vitality getting me at least 10 years down the road before something broke. I now have a heart condition which did not settle down after OHS, perhaps the recent pacemaker will prove to be the thing? I also now have a permanent spine condition. An injury lead to a discovery. There are two permanent conditions I was not factoring in a mere three years ago. These have influenced my stability in terms of physical capability, secure employment and finances. If my work status changes my healthcare changes. There is more to it but I have said enough to convey my motivation for asking what you have considered.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad it brought some encouragement to others. Hope all you stateside members had a happy and hearty Thanksgiving.

Not sure I understand the automobile analogy, but as @tom in MO said, "People with tissue based valves get routine testing to verify the valve is still operating properly." That's certainly the case for me. I see my electro and cardio each twice a year for updates to monitor the valve's performance and degeneration, and when (not if) the time comes for it to be replaced due to "malfunctioning" or "not working properly" or whatever, a decision will be made on how to proceed. I remember the words of one of the members on the site (I'm paraphrasing, and I believe it was @pellicle ) that we make our surgical decisions based on the information in front of us at that time.

On the other hand, I'm reminded that the oil needs changing on my Subaru. Where's that Jiffy Lube coupon?

Last edited:
"If you are not waiting for the valve to malfunction what are you waiting for?" Despite the happy talk on this forum, OHS is a life threatening procedure which the medical establishment (doctors, hospitals, insurance) will not allow you to have until the risk of death or disability from a bad valve out weighs the risks of death or disability from surgery.

Back