Surgery Tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great news!! Which valve did you get? Make sure you get a "temporary" ID card from the hospital and you should receive a permanent card from the valve manufacturer in a few weeks. It may come in handy if something unforeseen happens.
I carry my Edward Lifesciences card on me at all times--just in case.

Just another quick update. Still in the hospital waiting for my INR to get to where it needs to be. I feel good and just taking Tylenol for pain/soreness. Recovery has been smooth except for an episode of afib Sunday night. I had never experienced something like that before so it was quite scary as my heart rate jumped to over 200 BPM. They got it under control pretty quickly with meds and haven’t had any issues since, so hoping that won’t pop up again.

I ended up getting a St Jude 25 MM mechanical valve and could finally hear the clicking for the first time yesterday :) glad to hear it’s working well!

Hey there

just wanted to add a word about something since you say:
I'll be in the same situation next July/11

I observe that people fixate on the surgery its like this big screen that looms up and they can't see past "the surgery" ... but there is the rest of your life after the surgery, and indeed you'll see this written (again, and again, and again) here that soon you'll find a year has gone by. So my advice is to start thinking now about the years after surgery. Think about things like what you'll be doing (medically and health wise) and what changes you may need to begin making. What you'll need to learn and how to adjust. Its all minor stuff, but somehow I've noticed that as people age they get more fazed by any changes.

Best Wishes

Hey there

I observe that people fixate on the surgery its like this big screen that looms up and they can't see past "the surgery" ... but there is the rest of your life after the surgery, and indeed you'll see this written (again, and again, and again) here that soon you'll find a year has gone by. So my advice is to start thinking now about the years after surgery. Think about things like what you'll be doing (medically and health wise) and what changes you may need to begin making. What you'll need to learn and how to adjust. Its all minor stuff, but somehow I've noticed that as people age they get more fazed by any changes.

Best Wishes
Thank you for your advice.

It’s very hard to swallow

In my case I already have plans, hopefully correct and carried out as at should, diet, self monitoring, exercise, etc.

Hope KyleR and the rest of us a speedy recovery and good maintenance of our health.

Hi

one more piece of advice
In my case I already have plans, hopefully correct and carried out as at should, diet, self monitoring, exercise, etc.

plans made in preparation for any battle seldom work as expected, so be prepared for some adaptations.

now by this I don't mean anything nefarious, I just mean that something or other will require adaptation.

Best Wishes

Hey there

Best Wishes
I agree totally with your thoughts on the sort of attitude it is best to have after one’s surgery. It has been two years since I had my valve replacement and the first several months were quite positive. However, due to the fact that I have had
panhypopituitarism for over twenty years, I probably haven’t had as positive an outcome since then. I received a pig valve (TAVR) which my doctor felt was the best route for me to take. I guess I’ll never know if a mechanical valve would have been a better way to go but it may be that by having a quite severe chronic illness any procedure might be iffy.

However, due to the fact that I have had
panhypopituitarism for over twenty years
Sorry to read that.

I hope you're keeping a positive outlook and still seeing the beauty in the world
IMG_20230623_185511.jpg

I guess I’ll never know if a mechanical valve would have been a better way to go but it may be that by having a quite severe chronic illness any procedure might be iffy.
Kathmack, I know it is easier said than done but our advice is that you take a warrior attitude going into this battle called surgery (really its recovery). The more you feel that you will kick it's ass the better the outcome. Something that also helped me was knowing that good institutions can address about any complication that presents itself. I wish you well.

Something that also helped me was knowing that good institutions can address about any complication that presents itself. I wish you well.
Second this. Undesirable outcomes can and do occur of course but good heart programs really do have a solution for just about anything that comes up. Some of my neighbors this week were 80+ years old, so literally double my age. I’m sure their recovery will take longer but from what I could see they seemed to be doing fine.

Recovery has been smooth except for an episode of afib Sunday night. I had never experienced something like that before so it was quite scary as my heart rate jumped to over 200 BPM.

Kyle, this happened to me too, on my 3rd day, in the hospital. Also, I had it a few times at home the first week home, then a year later had a few more. None since then. The first few times are really scary! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Tomorrow’s the big day, getting my bovine valve replaced with a new mechanical valve and (likely) mechanical conduit. I appreciate all of the responses and helpful information along the way. Dick was gracious enough to meet me for coffee several weeks back since we are in the same city and he let me pick his brain about his 56 years with the same mechanical valve. I’m hoping I’ll get anywhere close to that kind of longevity with my new valve. Ready to get this over with and begin the road to recovery. Wish me luck!
I’m 75. Had mechanical valve, bypass, and pacemaker 12 yrs ago. Most recently aneurysms, and now a mild stroke. Still going strong. Hope you do too.

Kyle, this happened to me too, on my 3rd day, in the hospital. Also, I had it a few times at home the first week home, then a year later had a few more. None since then. The first few times are really scary! Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Did they keep you on any medication after discharge for the afib? I am on 200 mg of amiodarone for 30 days but fortunately haven’t had any episodes since the one. I’m hoping it was just a one time thing.

Kyle, we trust your surgery went well . let us know how you are doing? All the best!
Thanks! I am doing well at two weeks post op, mainly just tired and still a little sore at this point. I have been walking a few times a day and my wife took me out to lunch yesterday for my birthday while the grandparents watched the baby. I know I’ve still got a ways to go but recovery seems easier this time around compared to my first surgery. Knowing what to expect certainly helps but the pain seems a lot less for whatever reason.

Did they keep you on any medication after discharge for the afib? I am on 200 mg of amiodarone for 30 days but fortunately haven’t had any episodes since the one. I’m hoping it was just a one time thing.
Yes I was on amiodarone and metoprolo for 30 days only. Then about 8 months later, I had a few issues of a racing heart beat (170 to 195). My doctor wanted me to go back on metoprolo but I didn't want to. So he thought an ablation might work to help but ended up not needing it. In looking back I think it was my thyroid levels causing the high beats. Hope you're doing better!

Thanks! I am doing well at two weeks post op, mainly just tired and still a little sore at this point. I have been walking a few times a day and my wife took me out to lunch yesterday for my birthday while the grandparents watched the baby. I know I’ve still got a ways to go but recovery seems easier this time around compared to my first surgery. Knowing what to expect certainly helps but the pain seems a lot less for whatever reason.
Happy Birthday! I also had a birthday a week after my surgery! :) Great having grandparents around for you and your wife! Take care!

Latest posts

Back