Surgery tomorrow 8am. 2nd surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mday849

I'm having my second open heart surgery tomorrow. The last one I had was 22 years ago. Doctor said there is an increased risk since I've had a previous surgery because they will have to cut through scar tissue from my previous surgery. He said there is a 3 to 5 percent chance of major complications. Very nervous about tomorrow. Has anyone here had more than 1 open heart surgery?

I haven't had more than one open heart surgery but I do wish you the very, very best for tomorrow. I know there are some on here who've had more than one so I hope they see this and respond to you. Will be thinking of you.

Yes, I've had three.

Your surgeon is correct about the scar tissue, but I'm looking at it the other way, there is 97% chance of it being perfectly fine.

Stay calm and remember the chant

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain

dune.jpg

I've had my aortic valve replaced twice in the last 10 years. When I asked the surgeon this time about difficulties for the patient because of scar tissue, he said "It's difficult for the surgeon, not for the patient." Also, a neighbor who is a cardiac surgical nurse told me that procedures have improved so much that I'd be able to tell a difference just six years after the first AVR. Hope that helps!

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery!

I have had two open heart surgeries. The second one was not done through my sternum but under my right arm. I am here to encourage you. All will be fine and as stated before #NOFEAR

Mday849;n859383 said:
I'm having my second open heart surgery tomorrow. The last one I had was 22 years ago. Doctor said there is an increased risk since I've had a previous surgery because they will have to cut through scar tissue from my previous surgery. He said there is a 3 to 5 percent chance of major complications. Very nervous about tomorrow. Has anyone here had more than 1 open heart surgery?

The odds are heavily in your favor. You got this.

Latest posts

Back