Surgery scheduled in two weeks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a writeup I remember finding. .... Somebody figured out how to use the arms without stressing the sternum
I think it's THIS paper. Screenshot of their Figure 2 illustrates the method. There is a pointer to the more information.

1711721155769.png

Hey David

I've had tinnitus since my mid 20's (so about as long as you), and its annoying to never have 'silence' but I know that if look at it the wrong way it only leads to darkness.

I can't choose tinnitus or not tinnitus but I can choose my attitude to it.

My heart beat (with a mechanical valve) is quite apparent to me, it is NOT a ticking (like a clock on the wall, but it is my heart beating. Knowing my heart rate, knowing my breathing are all part of knowing my body. When I do sport, when I do mediation ... they're all something I am aware of.

I do not think you are a good candidate for managing INR because you are not the right personality type. So I want to second your vote for your choice of a resilia. I do not believe you are suited to managing INR.
I've had tinnitus for a year since a molar extraction, still trying to see if a correction in bite will help

Thanks for the figures! That helps me get out much more. I ended up switching back to a recliner last night. I’m just in so much pain sleeping on my back right now.

I think I’ll sleep in the recliner for another week or two. I actually can get a full night sleep in a recliner.

Thanks for the figures! That helps me get out much more. I ended up switching back to a recliner last night. I’m just in so much pain sleeping on my back right now.

I think I’ll sleep in the recliner for another week or two. I actually can get a full night sleep in a recliner.
Yeah I wish I had a recliner when I got out of the hospital. Sleeping in bed was torture. Even with a mountain of pillows all over the place. Was in the process of researching renting a hospital bed when things healed enough to get through things as they were. Looking back though don't even know HOW I did it...

Last edited:
Yeah I wish I had a recliner when I got out of the hospital. Sleeping in bed was torture. Even with a mountain of pillows all over the place. Was in the process of researching renting a hospital bed when things healed enough to get through things as they were. Looking back though don't even know I did it...
I’m staying at my parents for now. I don’t have a recliner at home. I tried a bed for a week though. It definitely sucks. Props for pushing through it! When did sleeping become comfortable for you?

Last edited:
I’m staying at my parents for now. I don’t have a recliner at home. I tried a bed for a week though. It definitely sucks. Props for pushing through it! When did sleeping become comfortable for you?

Good question. Has been almost 10 years since my operation so am fuzzy on some of the details. Am pretty sure I was talking about this up here back then but can't remember exactly where.

I don't want to bum you out but I'm going to say that I think it took me at least a month to get a good night's sleep in a bed. And although they told me (if I remember right) that I could drive starting week 6 I don't think I was able to yet, too painful. Am thinking maybe driving didn't come until around week 7-8. Everybody is different though, healing at different rates.

Also note I did not "just" have AVR I had a heart attack then double CABG + AVR done at same time, so my body had a lot to cope with all at once. I was in the hospital around 2 weeks (? I 4get exactly). My weight dropped from like 140-145 to 120-125 in the hospital. I believe all this effects how quick you can heal and start to feel normal.

Also once I got home I really tried to not take any painkillers at all and just endure it..

I had a full zipper AVR .A flat bed is tough. I was home after 4 weeks and could sleep on a bed, but before that , I was in a hospital bed that tilted and folded . Weight loss: I went through the operation with two others and we stayed together for a month. The first week we had no appetite, we all lost weight. It seemed like we woke up skinny. I lost about 10k , my arms were really thin . I did not do much for 3 months except walk.

of course she'd always speak to you in a polite and caring way ;-)

I think you need to pick bigger tubes
View attachment 890057

Yeah, not really a big wave guy anymore.

Anything more than a couple feet overhead and I find myself going around sections rather than attacking them.

I just enjoy playful little stuff now.

Here's a couple of spots about 20 minutes from home that I used to surf when I was young and invincible and thought I had something to prove.

The first pic is where I got my first legit backside barrel and came out. Coincidentally, also the first place I got bounced off the reef HARD. I'd hit the bottom before but not HARD.

Lobster Lounge.jpg

DSC_0279.JPG

DSC_0313.JPG

DSC_0318.JPG

Back