Surgery scheduled in two weeks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nesphito

Finally scheduled for surgery in two weeks! Excited to get through everything. Ready to take on the world. I’m feeling very optimistic.

I’m oddly kind of excited for the ticking of the mechanical valve. I think it’ll be comforting as well as a good distraction from my tinnitus.

Anyway thanks for everyone’s help and support. Sorry for all the questions. I think it’s how I cope with the stress.

Finally scheduled for surgery in two weeks! Excited to get through everything. Ready to take on the world. I’m feeling very optimistic.

I’m oddly kind of excited for the ticking of the mechanical valve. I think it’ll be comforting as well as a good distraction from my tinnitus.

Anyway thanks for everyone’s help and support. Sorry for all the questions. I think it’s how I cope with the stress.
Wow that's interesting I've had tinnitus for 27 years and I'm dreading a second noise if I go down the mechanical valve route I'm 2 weeks away from surgery as well good luck man

Wow that's interesting I've had tinnitus for 27 years and I'm dreading a second noise if I go down the mechanical valve route I'm 2 weeks away from surgery as well good luck man
My tinnitus is pretty quiet so my thoughts are the ticking will be louder. But who knows?

Good luck with the surgery! Have you decided on a valve yet?

That's great news!
Excited to get through everything. Ready to take on the world. I’m feeling very optimistic.

You have a great attitude! Facing your surgery with this positive mentality will significantly help your recovery.

Look at every step of your recovery as a victory. You have a lot of little victories to look forward to in the coming weeks and months. Celebrate each lap as you walk around ICU. Celebrate each improvement you achieve with the incentive spirometer. Before you know it, you'll be feeling better than you did before surgery. Surgery is a journey and can be a time of personal growth.

Best of luck and please keep us posted during your journey!

My tinnitus is pretty quiet so my thoughts are the ticking will be louder. But who knows?

Good luck with the surgery! Have you decided on a valve yet?
My tinnitus isn't too bad either but I keep the pink noise down because I have a partner we keep white noise going. I'm looking at resilia

Hey David
Wow that's interesting I've had tinnitus for 27 years and I'm dreading a second noise
I've had tinnitus since my mid 20's (so about as long as you), and its annoying to never have 'silence' but I know that if look at it the wrong way it only leads to darkness.

I can't choose tinnitus or not tinnitus but I can choose my attitude to it.

My heart beat (with a mechanical valve) is quite apparent to me, it is NOT a ticking (like a clock on the wall, but it is my heart beating. Knowing my heart rate, knowing my breathing are all part of knowing my body. When I do sport, when I do mediation ... they're all something I am aware of.

I do not think you are a good candidate for managing INR because you are not the right personality type. So I want to second your vote for your choice of a resilia. I do not believe you are suited to managing INR.

Tomorrow is the big day! My surgery coming up hasn’t felt real. It’s about to feel super real when I’m in the hospital.

Edit: feal 😂

You got this!!

I remember feeling the same way... The day before my surgery I went surfing, took a long walk on the beach, and went and got a haircut.

My surgery was on Nov. 27th, and on March 9th roughly 3 1/2 months later I was able to get back in the ocean and surf.

Achieving that goal (and feeling okay after) was kind of the big punctuation mark that brought closure to this little chapter, and made it just a speedbump in the rearview mirror where it belongs rather than something that defines me.

Point being, keep a positive mindset, get up and walk, do your PT/rehab, and you'll be back to your regularly scheduled programming in no time! 🥳

I survived! They saw that my aneurysm was not 4.0 it was 3.4 or so. So that was amazing news!
I knew you would ;-)

The ticking is way louder than I thought. They said that is unusual. But overall the sound doesn’t bother me.
yeah, I think two things are at work there:
  • inflammation making the drum tighter
  • your brain isn't used to the new stuff yet (like when someone in another room turns on a TV and eventually you tune out to it)
just wondering do you hear it as a click or do you more 'feel it' as a thump. To test this, stick your fingers in your ears and see if it goes away or is perhaps even more prominent.

Best Wishes

Back