Surgery sched 4/4/02

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jude02wa_ca

Hi Everbody!
I am so glad to find this forum. I live far from family and not a lot of close friends in this state (Washington)
Found out just last Monday 3/25 that I not only had a heart attack, but that I need valve replacement and the Dr needs to "fix" aneurysm. Seems it is flopping around leaking blood (according to the TEE). They let me go home for a few day on meds but also becasue I was so anxious about not having my "affairs in order."
This is real scary and surreal to me as before January when I fractured by shoulder, I had never even been in hospital.
I just turned 50 in September and it has been downhill ever since! As I near "the day" am getting more and more anxious, but am encouraged that others write they found peace with the surgery soon before the date.
My brother from Calif will be flying in, but would love to be able to have all those I love here on the big day. But others lives must go on and I understand that.
I'll be checking back in the forum & am really getting comfort from those who have been there.
Thank you!

Welcome

Welcome

Hello Jude, and welcome. I understand your anxiety, as I'm also waiting for valve surgery soon (4/16). You've found a great place for support, and you will learn a lot from the great folks here.

You are in Washington State? Whereabouts? I'm near Seattle and will be having my surgery at UW.

Hang in there, before you know it you will be on the road to recovery.

Hi Johnny:
Since I am Group Health, I'm scheduled for surgery at St. Joseph's in Tacoma. Since GH I guess does not have cardiologists on staff (Probably a good thing) my Doctor is in private practice. His name is Gilbert Johnston based in Tacoma. I live in Puyallup.
Others have said St Joe's is a good hosp - not as good as UW though!
Strange when my mother passed away about 12 years ago, she donated her body (not just organs) to the UDub.
Will keep in touch ok?
I'll let you know how great I feel after surgery!
Thanks for responding.

Hey Jude-

I feel a song coming on (reference to the Beatles song), welcome to this terrific site. You'll find it loaded with wonderful people who understand valve replacement and more and will give you support and comfort every step of the way as you approach the beginning of a much better life for your "new heart" and you.

In your day to day life you won't find too many people who can comprehend the depth of this surgery and the profound way if affects your life, but here, you're among the best of friends.

Feel free to ask any questions you have, there's bound to be someone who can give you an answer based on their own experiences. And what better teachers than people who've been there.

I'm not the patient, my husband is, he's 70 years old, and he's had 3 valve surgeries, has a pacemaker and has had 2 lung surgeries. His body looks like a train ran over him many, many times, but he's here and we laugh and enjoy life. If it wasn't for this surgery, he wouldn't have survived. It saved his life many times over.

We hope to see you here often.

Take care.

Hey Jude

Hey Jude

Delighted to see you found this site ...it's great ..the people in here will give all the information you want ..(and some you don't LOL) and they will hold your hand ....at least you don't have a long wait to dread the surgery ..before you know it ..it will be over and you'll be back in here telling us it was a breeze ...the sceptics like me won't believe you but will be delighted to welcome you back ....you take care ..come in here and vent and moan anytime ...the people in here really do understand ..like nobody who has not done this does ...You'll be in my prayers ..and I will be thinking of you on Thursday
Take care
Scottie

Thank you Scottie.
It was good to chat with you last night, but the chat went by so quickly I am doing my best to remember all the good thoughts.
But I do remember you especially and appreciate the encouragement. Will be in here more as the days tick (literally) down.
So sorry to hear about the Queen Mum. She seemed like a lovely lady.
Thanks again.

Hello

Hello

Hello, Jude, and welcome to the best support group you're going to find.

I guess you must have been in a state of shock when they gave you the news about your heart attack, the aneurysm, and the need for a valve replacement! That's a lot to get hit with at once.

There's never a good time to get this kind of news and it certainly helps when you have some of your support group with you. It doesn't sound like you were that fortunate. However, you're probably somewhat over the initial shock and circustances require that you move on and do what you have to do. Having surgery so soon is difficult in some ways, but it is also somewhat of a blessing. Most people here will tell you waiting is the hardest part of the process, and you don't have long to wait.

Try to focus on all the positive things that are going to come out of this surgery, like how much better you're going to feel, the years it will add to your life, and the things that you can do with those extra years for yourself and for others. Many of us got a better appreciation for life and have found ways to enjoy every day a little more since we (or our significant others) have had our surgeries.

Lastly, if you are at all religious, put your faith in God. This can be a great source of strenght for you. Many of us will be praying for you next week and waiting to see a post about your successful procedures. Maybe your brother will be able to post a message for you.

Best wishes,

Ron K.
Best wishes,

Hi Jude,

First, know that Heart Surgery has advanced to a fine art with very high success rates. Keeping a POSITIVE ATTITUDE and BELIEVING you will join the large group of survivors will help to make that a reality.

Second, when you come out of anesthesia, you may or may not have a breathing tube still in your throat. It it is still there, don't fight it, but breathe along with the machine. You will most likely spend a day (sometimes more) in the Coronary ICU area before being moved back to a room.

Third, be sure to COUGH vigorously enough to bring up any fluids that might be in your lungs to prevent pneumonia from developing. (Walking pneumonia set my recovery back several weeks). Hopefully, someone will give you a cough pillow to hold frimly over your chest when you cough. This will make coughing 'less uncomfortable'. You should receive instuction on breathing exercises to help your lungs recover.

Fourth, most people experience only various degrees of 'discomfort' following surgery and get along with moderate amounts of pain medication. Serious pain is rare, but even that can be controlled with proper pain management.

Fifth, you will most likely find that you sleep in short periods, up to 3 hours and that it is more comfortable to sleep with your bed inclined. When you return home, a recliner may be more comfortable for the first few weeks until your sternum begins to heal over.

Sixth, you may be a little 'difficult' with people for a while. The first day following surgery, I know I didn't want to see ANYBODY. After that, short visits were nice. It is not unusual to go into depression after surgery. Counceling and medication can help a LOT in this area.

The BEST book I've read was the "Heart Surgery Handbook" by J. Jude et.al., which has since been republished as "Coping with Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression". There is an excellent chapter outling what to expect on a weekly basis during the first six weeks of recovery.

In spite of knowing 10 co-workers who had survived bypass surgery at our local hospital, I was STILL pretty anxious going in partly because I elected to take a 'next day' cancellation and did not get any in-hospital training or education. Knowing what to expect and expecting to come through it all goes a long way toward calming one's nerves.

Keep your spirits up !

'AL'

hi jude!
welcome to this terrific site. it was such a lifesaver to me before, during and even today, after my husband joey's surgery. the support, information, caring and warmth here really makes everyone feel like family.
i think everyone before said it all well, the wait before surgery is usually agonizing. so, you're fortunate in that it is coming up soon.
please ask your surgeon if the hospital provides you with "coughing pillows". joey's hospital did not and we had to bring our own.
we will all be here alongside you as you wait out these next few days and we will be awaiting updates on your surgery (maybe you can have your brother keep us posted?).
please let us know how you're doing. you'll be in our prayers.
be well,
sylvia

Dear Jude - How nice to have you join us. Wish you had a bit longer to be here before surgery, but not too important - I didn't find it til a month AFTER mine (bypass) but it surely has been a blessing to me. And to many others, as the membership now is well over 300. As you approach the 'mountain', we are here to help you along on the path and upwards til you reach the top and meet us on the other side. I believe you can find all the support and information you want and need. You just have to voice it and you will have many answers in a very short time. There is always someone checking in to make sure the bases are all covered. I will pray that all goes well with you as your day arrives. Can someone let us know how you are doing while you are in hospital? We always want a checkup on our fellow heartfriends to know all is well. Again, welcome to our home. God bless

surgery 4/4

surgery 4/4

Thank you all so much for responding and giving me reassurance that these operations are done best here than anywhere!

As I come closer to the day, I am still anxious.. but was able to take care of living trust (older brother is a lawyer), organ donation, etc. But was sad to hear my younger brother who is too much like me to be believed!! cannot fly out from Florida due to I think his fear of anything medical and financial problems.
But my older brother will be with me and I made some of the nurses on my floor last week promise to come see me.

Am just really hoping to get it over with and then Onward.

Will be at an extended stay place for 1-2 weeks to help me manage to get around. I am still trying to talk my boss into letting me use one of the laptops computers we have at work, so I may be able to keep in touch with you that way. I shall bribe co-workers to come see me and bring me snickers bars!

Thanks again to everyone.

Hi Jude,

Just wanted to let you know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Some hospitals have a computer room that patients can use to "stay in touch" with friends and family. You may want to ask if yours does.

Wishing you a successful surgery and a full and speedy recovery.

Stay positive,

Rob

Jude - Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with that surgery this week. Anyway, I think this site is a great place for support, so you at least have us. I am already looking forward to your hospital tales. Please have someone post something here about you, so we can keep track of your progress. You will be feeling better and enjoying life soon after this ordeal is over. I will keep you in my prayers this Thursday.

Hi Jude-

Only a couple of more days to wait. Then you'll be on the road to a new you with a shiny new heart. You'll be just fine and will be feeling so much better afterwards.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy and uneventful recovery. We'll want to hear every detail when you can.

Talk to you later.

hey Jude and Johnny

hey Jude and Johnny

Welcome to you both for coming in and you have our full support. And let us know how you are doing after you get home from surgery. You both will do just fine. I was eight years old when I had repair and 36 for Aortic valve replacement. So much has improved over the years. Just remember to do as the surgeon and cardiac doctors' tell you to take care of yourself after surgery. And any questions you can come here and we will help the best we can. You have a place here. Welcome and come in often.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St, Jude's valve

Jude,

You have made a wise decision to join this forum. Encouragement and understanding abounds here. You will need this even more after your surgery. The days in the hospital and the weeks of recovery are difficult, but it is worth it all. Keep us posted.

Dave M

Judi,

Best of luck on Thursday. I hope everything goes smoothly and that your recovery is boringly uneventful! :)

Please remember that you will not be alone on Thursday. You will be in the thoughts and prayers of many, many members of this forum and we will be anxiously awaiting the results of your surgery.

You'll be on the top of the mountain in a couple of days and you'll probably feel like you're on top of the world in about 6 weeks.

Ron K

surgery 4/4/02

surgery 4/4/02

Well, 2 days and counting!
I went for my post-op appt today and went away feeling real good about the care I will be receiving. I was also pleased to read in my chart (when the nurse was out of the room!) that my Dr will be putting in a St Jude's (a coincidence, I think not!) valve, since I saw it often mentioned by many of you, and I did not have clue what it was.

They also confirmed that the valve is the mitral. In addition, they have to fix an aneurysm. So.. it's a bit more difficult but the nurse said Dr. Johnston is not only excellent, he's Fast!
Maybe the 6-8 hrs can be a bit less.

I checked and the hosp does not have internet access for patients but I am sending a copy of this thread to my brothers and asking them to post any status reports. We decided to check into a hotel near the hosp Wed night, so there won't be the early morning rushing around like I forgot something. I check in at 5:00am so I figure I'll take one of my anxiety pills when I wake up, then they can load me up with all their great drugs so I don't need to know what's going on!

I hope to be home in a few weeks & will rejoin you then with my hospital stories - hopefully, the worst will be the taste of the food.. yet when I was in last week, it tasted pretty good.

Thank you, thank you all so much for your support. I would have been a total basket case without all your encouragement & sharing stories. I've printed your stories & will read them again and again after surgery.

Note to AlCapshaw: I was not able to find the book at Walden or Borders as they said hard to find at all their Washington stores. So I have searched Amazon and will go on from there. Sounds like it is something I will not need immediately anyway.

Talk to you later!

:)

Your turn has arrived, Jade, for you to begin the path up the mountain. It is well worn by now so perhaps there are no thorns along the way. We are strolling along with you, but picking up the pace today. As you go into surgery, before you are asleep, know that so many hands are touching yours to give you support. We will be at the top of the mountain to boost you over. May all be well. Godspeed

Jude,
It's time to put it on autopilot. It will move fast now and it will be over before you know it. Your first meal in ICU will be Jello, hopefully it will be green Jello! I 'll tell you, that first "meal" tasted so good.
My best advice, let them take care of you. They are trained and experianced. Ask, and you will always feel better.
Good luck, thoughts are with you.
carbo

Latest posts

Back