Surgery Report and recovery - day 1 to 3 weeks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maprince231

Hi all,

I underwent an aortic valve replacement, aortic root, and aortic hemi-arch repair on August 22nd at Duke with Dr Chad Hughes. *I thought I would post my experience with the hopes that someone will find it useful for them.

I went in for a cardiac cath the day before surgery. *They did this for two reasons, even though I was under the normal age that they do it (I'm 35). *First, it gave Dr Hughes a good view of the surgery for the next day. *Second, I've had high BP and high cholesterol for a while, so I wanted peace of mind that everything would be taken care of while my chest was open. *Luckily everything came out normal.

That night I took the antibacterial bath twice before the surgery. *I guess this lowers the infection rate although I'm not sure how important it is since they scrub you in the OR before surgery anyway.
Day 1
The next morning at 6am, the anesthesiologist came to get me. *They took me back to the prep room, and started by giving me an IV in my wrist. *This was the only one I remember being put in. *After this, the doctors took me to the OR and said they were giving me some medication to make me brave. *The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery.

As for the surgery - here is what I was told. * The surgery lasted 6 hours. *3 of those hours I was on the pump. *To minimize the risks, they cooled my body to 18 Celsius and did retrograde cerebral perfusion. I have two scars - the full sternotomy as well as the scare for the retrograde cerebral perfusion (upper right chest, about 3 inches, parallel to the ground). *They put in an On-x 25mm aortic valve and used Dacron for my root and ascending aorta repair. * They estimated my risk of pump head around 1 percent based on age and health. *They said it goes up with age and declining health. I have no issues with memory from the surgery. My memory is fully in tact and I can function normally. Thank goodness.

My family came to see me afterward and said I was still cold and pale. *It was hard for them to see me at this point in the recovery. *An hour or so later, I was in the ICU recovery and they gave me the wake up now meds. * I came right to and was alert. *I noticed the tubes in me, but it didn't bother me. *I was pleasently surprised as this was one of my fears. * I went back to sleep and when I woke up the next time I was coughing up the tube as they asked. * Easy and no problems for me here.

They had me up and walking the first night. * I had some blood pressure problems on standing so I was a bit limited here. *Within 24 hours they were happy with my progress and had me headed to a step down room. *I have to say from what I remember the dilaudid kept me comfortable at this stage and I don't have bad memories of day 1.

Day 2
On day 2, they switched me to Percocet. *I didn't like it. *It didn't seem to keep my pain under control and I was hallucinating. *They pulled the large drainage tube on day 2... The pain wasn't bad, but I was very glad when it was over. *The mental part of this was difficult for me. * The rest of the day was spent feeling bad on Percocet and resting. *No walking since I wasn't feeling well. *At the end of the day I asked for different pain meds.. I switched to Vicodin, which worked much better on me than Percocet. *No more hallucinations and the pain was under control.

Day 3
Day 3 was when I started really recovering. *The Foley catheter was pulled and I was left with only two small drainage tubes and the leads for monitoring pressure in my heart. *I walked a few laps this day.. Pretty tired at the end. *By the end of the day, I was feeling much more like myself. *

Day 4
Again, more walking and continuing to feel better. *I walked 5 laps on day 4. *I got the other tubes out, and was free from all things attached other than the IVs. *I felt like seeing visitors this day and continued to relax and recover. *Nothing else substantial on this day. *My blood pressure continued to rise and my pulse came down. *All signs my heart was working properly. *I started my Coumadin this evening.

Day 5
I was released from the hospital! *I walked a total of 8 laps before going home this day.

Day 6-8
At home now... Difficulty sleeping. *I would mainly attempt to sleep in my chair.. Not for more than an hour at a time. *Not because I hurt, my body just wouldn't go into a deep sleep. *Still on Vicodin.. 2 pills every 4 hours. * Having night sweats and a limited appetite. *Small fever spiking up to around 100 decrees during this time.

On day 8, I had an appointment at the INR clinic. *I told them about my symptoms and they had a nurse check me out. *She did the full work up on me.. X-ray, ECG, echo, sepsis check and other bloodwork. * While having the echo, I went into afib. *It went away on its own, but the doctor was worried enough to send me to the hospital.

Day 9-15 Dresslers Syndrome
Checked back into the hospital where they realized I also had fluid around my heart. *Unfortunately, it was near my ascending aorta which isn't easy to reach. *So, instead of surgery they opted for medications which made me feel pretty crummy (GI). *A mix of Advil, colchicine, and amniodorone. *The amniodorone was mainly for the afib which I was experiencing. *I had this two more times in the hospital, both early on before the amniodorone started working. *One time it caused me to fall and bump my head when I was walking. *Luckily no lasting damage from the fall. *I ended up spending one night in ICU, which was for monitoring due to the fluid. *I finally started turning the corner when there, and feeling better. *I spent 3 more days in the step down before coming home.

I also realized that the Vicodin was causing me more harm than good. *I was having sweats from the Vicodin... Not a fever. *So, the doctor convinced me to try going cold turkey (no dependence on Vicodin in only a week he said)... After I stopped, I felt much better and the sweats disappeared! *I've learned that I hate pain meds unless REALLY needed.

Days 16-22. Back at home
I've been back at home for the last week, and feeling much better. *Still on all the meds, but at a lower dose. *My appetite is back and I'm waking daily (.8 miles in 17 minutes yesterday). *Not as far as I want to be, but the week in the hospital set me back and the doc told me to take it easy because of the Dressler's syndrome. *I'm feeling pretty much like myself now... But can't sleep or lay on my side due to vertigo and skipped heart beats when I try. * This is all new so I'm hoping it will disappear with time.

Overall even with my complications, it went smoother than I expected. *The pain was less than I expected but being cooped up in the hospital for 12 days was tough. *I've been lucky that I had minimal pain in my sternum and incisions. * My main pain source was the tubes. *

Hope this helps someone.. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Mike

Glad to hear you're on the tail end of it. I can't imagine 12 days in the hospital. I got lucky and got out on my 5th day, and even that felt like an eternity, especially as I started to feel better. It took me weeks to be able to sleep on my side, so hang in there. That first week home, I tried the recliner, couch, propped up in bed...nothing let me sleep more than a few hours at a time, so I feel your pain. Just tough it out for now and in a month you'll marvel at the progress you've made.

Mike,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am about 10 days ahead of you, having my surgery on 8/12, and had a similar bout of A-Fib and pericardial effusion. My surgeon says the fluid build up is somewhat rare, but when it does happen, it usually occurs in younger patients that have a higher functioning immune system. I am glad you are doing better! Keep plugging away, and very soon we will both be better than before. God Bless.

Hopefully you've got the worst behind you. I find the Vicodin to be terrible also, I'm glad I wasn't given any.

Keep getting stronger and you'll be better than ever soon!

Thanks for the report -- sounds like you are on the mend after a rough go. Keep walking; you'll be amazed how much that helps even if it makes you tired in the immediate aftermath. .8 miles in 17 minutes is fast, brother! Don't worry about the heart flutters when you lie on your side. That's normal. Try propping a pillow or two under one side of your back so you can get a 45-degree angle going. That will be a nice change from being flat on your back and shouldn't cause the flutters.

I am three weeks ahead of you and I can tell you, you are about to take off. The recovery I had in the second three weeks was ten times what it was in the first!

It's true - I think walking does wonders for the body. And as you said, I'm taking off. Today, I'm already up to 1.6 miles in 26 minutes.. About my pace before surgery! And I'm less than 4 weeks removed. I also feel good when walking and at home - not exhausted like I was pre surgery.

More good news - the pleural effusion has lessened, which I think is making me feel a lot better. My blood pressure continues to climb (had to add more meds), which they tell me is another good sign that I'm healing.

For those of you behind me, it's true. Everyday gets easier and you feel stronger. I already feel stronger now than I did pre surgery. Now if I could only pick up my two year old son things would seem normal! At least my doctor is lifting the driving restriction at one month rather than 6 weeks. That helps :)

Mike

Thanks for the report -- sounds like you are on the mend after a rough go. Keep walking; you'll be amazed how much that helps even if it makes you tired in the immediate aftermath. .8 miles in 17 minutes is fast, brother! Don't worry about the heart flutters when you lie on your side. That's normal. Try propping a pillow or two under one side of your back so you can get a 45-degree angle going. That will be a nice change from being flat on your back and shouldn't cause the flutters.

I am three weeks ahead of you and I can tell you, you are about to take off. The recovery I had in the second three weeks was ten times what it was in the first!

Latest posts

Back