Surgery postponed--waiting for valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

I had myself all psyched up to get a Cryolife Synergraft aortic valve on April 24. Today my surgeon's office called to say that a valve in my size was not currently available, and we'd have to wait until the right size is available. Of course, no one can predict when that might happen.

So, a mix of emotions. Disappointment on the one hand, relief on the other. My "Type A Executive Mr. Control" personality certainly is no help here! There is absolutely nothing I can do except wait. One can't really wish for the "right" person to expire and donate their tissue. However, the one thing I CAN do, and WILL do tomorrow is go down to the Hennepin Counter service center and get my driver's license changed so that I am a designated organ doner.

I'll keep you posted on the on-going saga. In the mean time, my best wishes, prayers and hopes for those of you with your surgery happening soon.

--John

Hi John,

I'm sorry to hear about the delay, I know how hard the waiting is, I had my pre-admission testing today. I know you must be very disappointed, Hopefully they'll get it in soon. Good Luck, Keep us posted!

-Nicole, 19
Queens, NY
Awaiting AVR/MVR and
Tricuspid repair 4-24-02

I can only imagine the emotions your having right now.
I have somewhat of a control type personality also, and I know I'd be going absolutely nuts. Of course, I'm nuts anyway, but I think that would put me over the edge.

Hope it works out soon for you.

Hi Johnny-

Sorry this happened to you, it's a toughy.

Oh you Type A guys:) Joe's a triple Type A too, and he doesn't tolerate things like this either. You must be extremely frustrated to say the least. One of the worst things is the last minute postponements and glitches when you're all psyched up to get it over with.

I hope your wait isn't too long and you'll be relaxing in your hospital bed.

Take care,

My nephew suggested I go check on eBay, since everything else seems to be available there:)

Thanks for your commissuration...this really is a great group of folks here.

--John

Ebay

You know that's not such a bad idea. They just might have one there. :p

Nope, they didn't either:
All Categories Browse all categories
Sorry, we couldn't find any items for Synergraft aortic homograft

Last edited:
This was indeed, my giggle of the day. Ebay..... hohoho

Marybeth

PS - I am sorry about your delay though....that is a toughy.

Sounds like you are trying to buy a pair of shoes and they're out of your size, doesn't it!!! My son's in ecommerce and maybe he can find one for ya. LOL

You are not alone in having to wait - others have been put off, too, but for other reasons. But it's disappointing to get all in order and BAM you are put somewhere in the nether world to wait yet again. Not to worry too much, tho - they have not forgotten you. It'll be along soon - what size are you, anyway? Didn't know they come in sizes, but it makes sense, doesn't it. We are still here waitin with you. God bless

Hey John,

I know my surgery was also postponned a few days. Originally scheduled for Tuesday, I was told late Monday afternoon they couldn't do the surgery on Tuesday. I was mentally prepared for the next day then all the sudden I've got 3 more days to wait. When I went in on Friday, it was still unclear for 2-3 hours whether they would do the surgery that day either, due to a CCU bed shortage. Kind of frustrating I know when you are mentally ready and the doc's and/or hospital don't have it together.

I'm sure it must be a bit more frustrating not even having a new date. But I'm sure you will hear soon and be back on track for your surgery. Take care in the mean time.

Chris

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about your postponement. I can almost relate to that. I had to wait 6 hours later the day of surgery, due to the fact that I had some type of antibodies in my blood and they didn't have enough of my blood type with the antibodies in it. They had to send to Wisconsin for some of my correct bloodtype with antibodies. It's a good thing they did wait, I had lost a lot of blood. Better to be safe then sorry!:)

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long. Oh! No! Not EBAY! That's funny! Good luck and take care!

Maybe surgery still on 4/24?

Maybe surgery still on 4/24?

OK now I'm going nuts. I just got off the phone with the surgeon's office, and they said they have not officially cancelled my Wednesday surgery date. Apparently Cryolife has told them that a valve may become available over the weekend, and that they could process it and get it to Minneapolis on time for the scheduled surgery.

The whole issue of fate, and what happens with accidents and injuries, is no longer just an academic philosophical question. I must admit that thinking about this creeps me out a lot! They told me to be prepared to still have surgery Wednesday, and they'd contact me Monday morning to let me know one way or the other. Sheesh...anyone want to join me for a drink in Limbo?

Wow! John, I really sympathize. Waiting's worse than the surgery. And, then, now not even knowing if you'll have to wait or not!

Must be similar for the astronauts when they face weather delays and so forth. Imagine being on the top of the rocket and then having the launch scrubbed. Not that different, I don't think.

God bless!

Steve

Gee John-

Talk about high drama! Joe's last surgery was iffy until about 5PM the day before surgery because there wasn't enough of his blood available. It was a real nail-biter.

I sympathize.

Latest posts

Back