Surgery over and Home

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackDoc

Had my aortic valve replacement last weds morning (Dec 12th). Dr. Boyd at the Cleveland Clinic Weston Florida. I was put under at 7:00 am and was waking up in ICU at 3:00pm. The breathing tube was removed at 3:30pm. I was up and out of bed at 3:30am that same day. By late thursday morning I was walking down the hallway with PT. I was moved to cardiac step down late thurs night, and by friday morning I was walking laps around the entire floor. Had a mild setback due to Atrial flutter starting on friday afternoon, or I would have been released on saturday. I was released monday morning.
Walking 2x a day; am now up to 15 minutes each time.

Pain was mostly in my upper back. Very little chest pain. Appetite is back for the most part.

My best advice for anyone;
1. positive attitude prior
2. positive attitude afterwards
3. Yes it will hurt, but if you dwell on the pain and refuse to do your breathing exercises or walk-you will not get better.
4. Questions--always ask your doctor.
5. get in as best a physical condition as you can prior. I exercised right up to monday the 11th. I am convinced that this has contributed to my good recovery.

Only mildly bothered by floaters. No real pump head that I can recognize.

I also want to thank everyone here who has been helpful. God bless you all.

I hope I do as well as you. Wonderful news! Keep it up. Positive attitude means a lot. I am meeting with the surgeon today.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and in my prayers.
Earline

Excellent News...welcome to the other side of the mountain, that back pain sure can be a bugger can't it, I learned from my first go around that Toradol is an huge help with the back pain, but they have to limit the amount that they give you do to a concern with interfereing with the anticoag meds ( as I understand it). Glad to hear you are doing so well. Have a joyous holiday season

Glad to hear your doing so well.
Your best advice should be very helpfull to all those facing surgery,I agree with everything you said. Why not go into this with optimism and a positive attitude? And maybe even a little gratitude for the technology that is going to save your life. Keep up the good work.
continued good health...........Kman

Congratulations. You are correct, the better shape you are in prior has a definite impact on recovery. The best part is you are home for the holidays. Rest well. :)

Very nice post! No pumphead there! Hope things continue to go very well for you. Thanks for posting that encouraging post-op report.

One more thing that I believe I read here before my surgery was something about "no whining." So I focused on not complaining about anything and that gave me a positive thing I could control while I was recovering.

Your list was terrific. Take care and post again.

Hip - Hip - Hooray

Congrats and keep up the great work, just remember to listen to your body.

Best Wishes to you during this holiday season.

Greetings
freddie

Glad to hear that you are recovering well. I've been a walker for many years and I know that my healthy life style helped me recover quickly. congradulations.

Bob:D

So good to see you post and so nice that it is such an encouraging one too! There was a big sign on the CCU wall at Brigham- "Walk for Life".

Excellent news -- way to go! Your summary sounded exactly like my hospital experience. The positive attitude will be of great benefit during your recovery. Take it easy and do not overdo it too quickly -- breathing, walking, and resting should be your routine for a few more weeks.

Stay strong!

Congratuations! Good to hear that you are doing so well and that your hospital stay and post-operative pain was manageable. Thanks for the advice...I am trying to keep a positive attitude and I am truly grateful for the technology that will allow me to live...thanks for sharing and my best wishes and prayers for your continued good recovery!

"One more thing that I believe I read here before my surgery was something about "no whining." So I focused on not complaining about anything and that gave me a positive thing I could control while I was recovering."

100% correct. I was also going to write that in my post, but held back. So I glad that you did.

Rule # 1 should be; there is no whining during recovery, as well as prior to surgery.

This is a fantastic group!:)

Great report!! Welcome to the other side....the view is EXCELLENT from here!! ;)

I agree that a positive attitude is very helpful. I like your list. I think it is also important to be gracious and acknowledging to everyone who helps you through the journey. I was amazed at the humor, kindnesses, attentiveness and support I received from perfect strangers who were caring for me. I went in there deciding that I might as well try to have a good time of it!! Sounds like you did too.

Best wishes for continued success. Pace yourself. There's no hurry now...listen to your body.

:) Marguerite

Back Doc,

Very happy to hear how well you are doing and so agree about the good attitude being hugely important.

Thank you for your wonderful post.
I hope you have an uneventful, easy recovery.

Happy Holidays and good health....

I'm glad all is going so well. Recovery takes some time and some days will be better than others. Rough ones tend to come less often as time goes on but every once in a while one will sneak in! Do your walking and get your rest and have a very wonderful Christmas!

BackDoc said:
My best advice for anyone;
1. positive attitude prior
2. positive attitude afterwards

Oh
My
Goodness
YES!!!!!!!!!

Course, I don't have MUCH room to talk ... my attitude prior wasn't exactly positive. But, someway/somehow, something "snapped" and my attitude afterwards was positive ... go figure.

Glad to see you posting again! CONGRATS! Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Get the word out" ... Collective Soul ... 'Feeling Better Now'

Congratulations on your successful trek over the mountain. Sounds like you are doing VERY well. Esp the part about not whining. I whined. Take care and do your exercises and breathing stuff - a lot. Blessins........

Back