Surgery on Valentine's Day

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big disappointment this afternoon!!!! Dr.'s office called about 4:00 and cancelled my surgery for Monday. An emergency patient popped up and pushed my surgery back to March 4. Don't know how many times I could deal with this. No new heart on Valentine's day!! I fully understand the circumstances, but still, it's a let down. I'll keep you posted.

John

Oh John, that's SO frustrating! I really feel for you. I know how angry I'd be if it happened to me. I'm due for my surgery on 22 February. I know it happens and, I suppose, be reassured they wouldn't do it unless they were sure you were ok to wait that bit longer, but it is horrible given that waiting is so hard.
Is there something you can do in the next few weeks that you hadn't got around to doing but really wanted to - such as visiting somewhere or sorting something? Just to help the time go by?
Sorry that happened.
Allison

Big disappointment this afternoon!!!! Dr.'s office called about 4:00 and cancelled my surgery for Monday. An emergency patient popped up and pushed my surgery back to March 4. Don't know how many times I could deal with this. No new heart on Valentine's day!! I fully understand the circumstances, but still, it's a let down. I'll keep you posted.

John

Oh rats!!! Well try to take faith that you will have your mended heart soon. Some other members have had the same thing happen to them, so hang in there my friend.
Oh and by the way, there are therapy sessions you can attend so that you can walk past a newly mowed field and not want to stop in the event you get a cow valve.

I'm sorry to hear this, I know how frustrating/dissapointing it is to be soo close to surgery and have it post poned. Justin had a few of his OHS postponed a couple times (but also was the person that did the "bumping" other times) So I know what it can feel like having to rearange all your plans, work, family members etc. BTW will your daughter be able to come in March?

I really believe you will have the surgery when you are 'supposed' to have the surgery, if that helps..(at least that is what i tell me). I hope you can find things to do that you enjoy in this time, heck maybe you can even practice going from laying in the bed -to sitting on the side of the bed -to standing without using your arms or anything else you are concerned about being an issue.

Sorry the date slide. It's happened to me both the first and second sugery. I know I felt I just wanted to get it over with yet had to wait that much more. Definetely frustrating. Fortunately it sounds like your doing well enough the push back won't effect your health. Sometimes it does.

I am too so sorry for your delay but try to stay positive....I always believe that everything happens for a reason. Just have faith that this is a good thing for you. As I have said in previous post, mine is not scheduled yet. I think it will be late March or early April. I have so much going on right now so I am fine with that. Try to take it once day at a time. As others have said, get things done and make the most of the extra time before the procedure. Do something else special on Valentines Day. I will positive thoughts and prayers for you and all of us. God bless.

Jeri

Thanks everyone! As the saying goes "This too shall pass" My step daughter wil not be able to come in March, but we have a large newwork of friends , so my wilfe will be fine. I don't think I will get as worked up before the next date as I did this one. Who knows, it could happen again. My surgeon seems to get cases that other doctors don't. I had numerous people in the hospital tell me that if they needed heart surgery, they wanted him to do it. I believe he is very talented. I think I'm more disappointed that I didn't get to do it on Valentines' Day!

John

I have finally recovered from the disappointment of having my surgery re-scheduled. I have had some time to come up with some questions to ask the surgeon before the operation. I learned from the Physicans Assisant today that I my asending arorta is 4.6 and I will be having a replacement along with my AV. What does this mean to you seasoned veterans? He said that the stenosis has caused the aneurism. I believe I have read that 5.0 is the magic number for surgery on the aorta. Is this correct? He said that 4.6 by it's self would not warrant surgery, but as long as he is in my chest........
I have also learned, through the power of the Internet, that heart valves cost $4000 to $6000 ea., retail price. The PA confimed this and said " would you want the Caddilac model or the Mercedes model" I'll take Rolls Royce, please!!! Also, I'm getting ever slightly concerned about the 25% chance of Afib he mentioned after I quizzed him on it. He said medicine fixes it, no big deal. Comments??
Having the surgery postponed 2 weeks has given me way too much time for me to create a myrad of thoughts.

John

Calendar now reflects these updates .....sorry it was necessary and glad you are soon to leave the waiting room

John

I have finally recovered from the disappointment of having my surgery re-scheduled. I have had some time to come up with some questions to ask the surgeon before the operation. I learned from the Physicans Assisant today that I my asending arorta is 4.6 and I will be having a replacement along with my AV. What does this mean to you seasoned veterans? He said that the stenosis has caused the aneurism. I believe I have read that 5.0 is the magic number for surgery on the aorta. Is this correct? He said that 4.6 by it's self would not warrant surgery, but as long as he is in my chest........
I have also learned, through the power of the Internet, that heart valves cost $4000 to $6000 ea., retail price. The PA confimed this and said " would you want the Caddilac model or the Mercedes model" I'll take Rolls Royce, please!!! Also, I'm getting ever slightly concerned about the 25% chance of Afib he mentioned after I quizzed him on it. He said medicine fixes it, no big deal. Comments??
Having the surgery postponed 2 weeks has given me way too much time for me to create a myrad of thoughts.

John

Back