surgery June 23rd.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alesia

hey there! This is my first post and hope not my last! I am 38 yrs and by a day surgery found out that i have a mitral valve prolaspe. 2 weeks ago met a Dr. and told me, he has a 60% chance in fixing it or a replacement valve. So i had to decide...the Dr. suggested a mechanical valve. It was a very hard choice, but i rather have a bovine tissue. I haven't stopped crying since. My surgery is June 23...this is so fast my head is spinning. I run a daycare from my home and not sure what to say to the parents. How long do i need off? And probably 100 more questions i should know. My Dr is in Victoria and he does the surgery in the chest but i have heard that some Doctors do the same surgery under the breast bone? I have been trying to read as much as i can online here, but by the time i do dinner ...etc am very tired. I have 2 teens and 4 yr old who keep me busy. Everyones recovery to me has been different. I have been so upset about this, but keep it to myself. Don't think i can be as strong as most people that go through this. I try to think positive and keep busy!

How old are the children in your daycare? You will be on weight restrictions for lifting (generally 5 - 7 lbs) for anywhere between 4-6 weeks. So, if you have small children that you are constantly picking up, it will be an issue. For me personally, I can't imagine going back to running a daycare full time before 6 weeks post op, but as you said, everyone heals differently, so there is no way of telling you how long you'll need off.

The worry beforehand really was the worst part of the surgery for me and many others on here. You'll feel so much relief when it is over and done with. Best of luck to you.

Kim

Thanks Kim, But 6 weeks...i am in for it! lol The only time i have to pick up a child is to put into a playpen for a nap. I will have my Mom around i am sure to help. Being a Mom there is one thing i am looking forward to have is sleep!( So if i am wrong Please Do not tell me)

How much regurgitation?

How much regurgitation?

Hi Alesia,

You mentioned a MV prolapse but did not say how much MV regurgitation there is, if the chambers of your heart have dilated, etc. Did the surgeon you spoke with inform you of this? If it is just a prolapse with say moderate regurgitation for instance, you probably don't need surgery for years!

I don't mean to stress you since you have a date already picked, but I would try to get a copy of your echo report and find out as much as possible!

hey Adrienne, No problem i don't think i can get n e more stress! lol I do have the echo report. Here i will try to explain what i know first. Dr. told me that both my leaflets on the inside both need work and thats why he won't know til he goes in to see if it needs replacing. And my symptoms right now are that i am very tired all the time and weight gain. He also says that they caught this early so in my case usually a heart would be in (hypo drive) compositing, for the leakage. But my heart is not working to keep up. If that makes sense? My echo reads...moderate to severe range. Dr. also told me, with my arrhthmia, it appears to worsen. Dr. Ofiesh says they use to wait to do surgery but found its better to do it sooner than later.

O.K. I think you meant that usually a heart would be compensating for the leakage and yours is not. Does the echo report have the letters EF (ejection fraction) and a percentage afterwards? When he says that your heart is not working to keep up, I think he might mean that the EF is a low percentage. If that is true, and with the other things you have said, I guess he is right that you need the surgery.

hey there! This is my first post and hope not my last! I am 38 yrs and by a day surgery found out that i have a mitral valve prolaspe. 2 weeks ago met a Dr. and told me, he has a 60% chance in fixing it or a replacement valve. So i had to decide...the Dr. suggested a mechanical valve. It was a very hard choice, but i rather have a bovine tissue. I haven't stopped crying since. My surgery is June 23...this is so fast my head is spinning. I run a daycare from my home and not sure what to say to the parents. How long do i need off? And probably 100 more questions i should know. My Dr is in Victoria and he does the surgery in the chest but i have heard that some Doctors do the same surgery under the breast bone? I have been trying to read as much as i can online here, but by the time i do dinner ...etc am very tired. I have 2 teens and 4 yr old who keep me busy. Everyones recovery to me has been different. I have been so upset about this, but keep it to myself. Don't think i can be as strong as most people that go through this. I try to think positive and keep busy!

Thanks Kim, But 6 weeks...i am in for it! lol The only time i have to pick up a child is to put into a playpen for a nap. I will have my Mom around i am sure to help. Being a Mom there is one thing i am looking forward to have is sleep!( So if i am wrong Please Do not tell me)

hey Adrienne, No problem i don't think i can get n e more stress! lol I do have the echo report. Here i will try to explain what i know first. Dr. told me that both my leaflets on the inside both need work and thats why he won't know til he goes in to see if it needs replacing. And my symptoms right now are that i am very tired all the time and weight gain. He also says that they caught this early so in my case usually a heart would be in (hypo drive) compositing, for the leakage. But my heart is not working to keep up. If that makes sense? My echo reads...moderate to severe range. Dr. also told me, with my arrhthmia, it appears to worsen. Dr. Ofiesh says they use to wait to do surgery but found its better to do it sooner than later.

alesia, , a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you found the site BUT I CANT STRESS ENOUGH WHY IT IS MANDATORY that you adhere to sternal restriction , there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future ..... read all you can sorry but this is MEANT to scare you you really don't want to shred your sternum by pushing too hard or doing damage to your fresh surgery

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

HERE is s link to reviews of Dr Ofiesh http://www.kidsinvictoria.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?t=3732934 and from what I read you have a GEM

HERE is a list of sternal precautions you may want to study http://sternectomysupport.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/3920099-sternal-precaution-do-s-and-don-t-s

Prayers and positive vibes in the air

Hi Alesia,

What does the surgeon mean that he has 60% chance of fixing this ? Can't understand where he got such percentage from ? I'm a BAV'r so don't know much about mitral valves, but was under the impression that when it's replaced, than it's fixed, otherwise, what's the point in replacing it if it still going to function poorly. Sorry, just not understanding this at all.

Anyhow, I wish you all the best of luck, you will be fine.

Hi Alesia,

What does the surgeon mean that he has 60% chance of fixing this ? Can't understand where he got such percentage from ? I'm a BAV'r so don't know much about mitral valves, but was under the impression that when it's replaced, than it's fixed, otherwise, what's the point in replacing it if it still going to function poorly. Sorry, just not understanding this at all.

He was talking about 60% chance of repairing it (Dr. and told me, he has a 60% chance in fixing it or a replacement valve), or then replacement if repair couldn't be done.

Hi Alesia,

I had a mitral-valve repair so I understand what the surgeon meant. He meant that he has a 60% chance of actually being able to repair the native valve. If he sees that he is not able to do a repair, he will replace it.

My surgeon told me I had an 80% chance. He managed to do a complicated repair.

Yes. Adrienne is right on. Dr. told me he usually gives a 80% chance of repair, and i have a 60% chance. I have 2 leaflets that need work, and he must take tissue from one to repair the other. And if that doesn't work i am getting a bovine tissue in place.

oops.gif
OOOPS here is a thought and
1847.gif
ANOTHER
crazy.gif
link http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?38362-Ladies....Only!

Latest posts

Back