Surgery is coming- know any good surgeons in the Atlanta, GA region?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivetopless

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
First- I'm so grateful to have found this website. What great info and support!
I had my annual follow up with my cardiologist last month and my aortic stenosis has gotten worse. I guess I was lucky to have it stable for the last 12 years. Now I'm on follow up every 6mos and looking at AVR in the next 6 mos to 2 years. Scarey stuff that is making me "symptomatic." Did you guys ever feel fine until the Doc told you there was a problem? Now there's an elephant sitting on my chest, and I'm can't catch my breath when I lay down.

Also wondering if anyone recommends a surgeon in the Atlanta area? I think my surgery will be at St. Joseph's, and I'm wondering how to find the best/most progressive surgeon.

Other worries- how to minimze scarring and coumadin complications!

My mind is racing with questions. Appreciate any advise!

I'm not sure who all is in Atlanta, but I know there are some good ones. I'll let the others address that.

As far as the scar, at first, you won't be able to do much of anything about it, but as you heal, vitamin E or Mederma lotion will help tone it down some.

Coumadin--I'm sure you've already been told a bunch of baloney. It's amazing the garbage that they persist on telling people. Go to www.warfarinfo.com and read as much as you can. Another great link to help YOU understand the drug and how it SHOULD BE dosed is http://www.aafp.org/afp/990201ap/635.html .

The largest single problem with Coumadin are the people who manage you. Most of them haven't got a clue what their doing. We will gladly help you out in the anticoagulation forum. For this reason alone, many of us are self testing and self dosing.

Thanks for the reply, Ross. I will check out those websites.

I could theoretically also have my surgery in Birmingham, AL (parents live there) or Chicago, IL (Sweetie lives there). I'm guessing my insurance doesn't care where I have the procedure. Seems like some of you have of chosen to travel for your surgery in hopes of the best outcome. Was it difficult to do this from an insurance and follow up perspective?

I was diagnosed with bicuspid and accompanying stenosis in 1975. Long story short I was pretty much without symptoms and skipped many of my annual check ups. In September of 2008 I was shocked to be told by my cardio that I needed valve replacement within the next 6 months to year. I had the surgery on November 13th and am now almost fully recovered and feeling great mentally and physically.
The waiting period from being told I had to have the surgery, until it was done, was one of the worst periods of my life: real or imagined symptoms, invasive test, waiting for test results, waiting for doctors, worrying about my job and family..blah blah blah.

In my view sooner is way better than later and the anticipation is much worse than the actual event. Other than a bump here and there I have felt better and better each day since the surgery. It is not to be feared but eagerly anticipated - a real miracle for those of us born in this age with these conditions.

Sorry to be so long winded but I wish I had known about the board before surgery and had been able to learn from such stories and want to help reassure those I can who are facing the beginning of the process.

If your insurance isn't an HMO that forces you to use certain facilities, then check into going to your sweeties or mom and dads. Either/or have some great surgeons. I'm sure there are some in Atlanta, but darned if I can think of any names right now.

If you keep your scar out of the sun f.or 1 full year than when you tan (if you do) you will not have to big of a white "mark". I was told this by a dermatologist

I am having surgery myself soon here in Atlanta and I have met with, as far as I understand, two of the very best.

Doctor Edward Chen at Emory is their best Aortic surgeon and Doctor James Kauten at Piedmont did surgery on both my dad and my mom's best friend, and he is supposedly one of the best heart surgeons in the country. I am trying to decide between the two of them and I have met with both so far. I'd look them up if I were you. The top guy at Emory is Robert Guyton, who trained both Chen and Kauten. James Kauten has more experience than Chen, as he has been doing surgery for 26 - 27 years now.

Good luck with your journey!

I can tell you that Emory is a fantastic place to have surgery. I had Dr. Chen as was mentioned above, I would make the same choices today if I had to do it all again. Emory made sure everything was taken care of with insurance, we never received a bill, a call or anything, it was just done.

OT - Richard - you aren't the same Richard Devine who went to Roswell High School, are you?

I graduated from there in 1993 myself.

Awesome feedback. Thanks so much all. My cardiologist is Manfred Sandler in Gwinnett Co (great cardiologist, btw). I think he and the surgeons he hangs out with are affiliated with St. Joseph's rather than Emory. Not sure how surgeons/cardiologists work together.

I am lucky enough to have a PPO rather than a crappy HMO.

Best of luck with your surgery, Brunoand bear.
Thank you all for the info. I will take it to "heart."

Last edited:
Oh wow....I can't imagine having to wait 6 mos. to a year.

Can you imagine the basket case you'd be dealing with Ross????

I'm packed and my bags are at the door. I'm ready to get it done. I'm having a big glass of water before midnight so I can get this cath done tomorrow and then Tuesday is it.

My suggestions if I had 6 mos to 1 year would be to research the best docs and hospitals, get myself healthy, lose wt. if needed, quit smoking if needed, get all procedures done if needed (e.g., dental work).

I only had a week to prepare. Luckily, I had all my dental work done in the last year. Sure with I would have had my annual colonoscopy, but didn't get it done in time.

Good Luck to you!

I had my aortic valve & 4cm of my aorta replaced two years ago at St. Joseph's in Atlanta. The staff from beginning to end was outstanding.

My surgeon was Dr. Alan Wolfe. He was formerly a surgeon at Emory University and is currently with Peachtree Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons in Dunwoody. Like you, I did a lot of research on the qualifications of my surgeon. I was informed that Dr. Wolfe has multiple aortic valve cases each week. I highly recommend him.

The real key is to trust your "instinct" when making the final choice on your surgeon and valve type.

With BAV you will want to be checked for possible "Connective Tissue Disorders" which can cause aortic aneurisms. (Read through this Bicuspid Aortic Valve and Connective Tissue Disorder Forum for LOTS of related information).

You will also want a Very Experienced AORTA Surgeon, which is a step above Bypass and (simple) Valve Replacement Surgery. Dr. Chen at Emory is reputed to be the best / most experienced Aorta Surgeon in the SE.

I know all of the Surgeons at UAB but I'm not sure about their experience doing surgery of the Aorta. At least 2 of them are Transplant Surgeons (which doesn't really mean much for someone with BAV etc. other than they are very experienced surgeons)

The Surgeons at Peachtree Cardiovascular (see their website for profiles on all 12? of them) use St. Vincent Hospital.

'AL Capshaw'

I had my aortic valve & 4cm of my aorta replaced two years ago at St. Joseph's in Atlanta. The staff from beginning to end was outstanding.

My surgeon was Dr. Alan Wolfe. He was formerly a surgeon at Emory University and is currently with Peachtree Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons in Dunwoody. Like you, I did a lot of research on the qualifications of my surgeon. I was informed that Dr. Wolfe has multiple aortic valve cases each week. I highly recommend him.

The real key is to trust your "instinct" when making the final choice on your surgeon and valve type.

I know that Dr. Wolfe is a Very Highly Regarded Heart Surgeon, but you need to know and understand that there is a HUGE difference between "Aortic Valve Surgery" and Surgery of the Aorta, *especially* when that surgery extends to the Aortic Arch. Apples and Oranges.

BAV with Connective Tissue Disorders of the Aorta require knowledge and experience with BOTH.

Hey there,
Welcome aboard, I haven't been around in a while but wanted to reply. I also live in Gwinnett. I used Dr Wolfe from Peachtree the same as IREF2, there are several other old timers here that used him. Very good surgeon, very small incision. He also operates at Northeast GA medical Center in addition to St Joseph's.

Good luck, PM me if you have questions.

I didn't know to consider aorta surgery expertise in adition to valve replacement expertise. Those are all good suggestions and is a good start.

This seems to be a family thing--Grandfather and Uncle both had aortic stentosis with AVR in their late 50's. Another grandfather and aunt had aortic anuerysms. Inthe 1970's one grandmother died suddenly in her 50's. Prior to that she always complained that something was wrong with her heart--I wonder if they just didn't have the tools back then to diagnose it.
Our family has no diabetes (which is good since we tend toward the hefty side) and no cholesterol issues, but we do struggle with hbp.

Thanks, all.

actually when the aorta itself is involved it is the more critical of the components to be worked on. Many people can do valve replacements, a few specialize in the aorta, such as Dr, Chen of Emory

My husband had his AVR at Emory and Dr. John Puskas was his surgeon. We were very pleased with the hospital and Dr. Puskas. I can email him even today after nearly 8 years and receive a reply from him usually before the day is over,

Latest posts

Back