Surgery in a few weeks..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DASMom

Hi! I'm having MVR surgery in a few weeks with Dr. Stelzer in Beth Israel in NYC. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips as far as what to expect painwise, and about how long it takes to get back to yourself? I'm sure it varies from person to person, but if you could just share your experiences.. I'm starting to get really nervous here.
Thanks

Hello,
I understand the nerves! Pain management is important. If you hurt, tell someone. My experiance was that for the short time I was in, any discomfort will be dealt with. If you hurt, you will not want to move and start walking. If you hurt, you will not want to work on your lungs. So, help the pain, recover faster.
I put my total confidence in my surgeon, his staff, the hospital, my decision on valve, etc. This was prime in helping me through it. While I've a way to go for total recovery, my confidence is still helping me.
AND..... This forum was a god send. The more info, the less fear.
Good luck!
carbo

I found everyone very concerned that I experience no unnecessary pain. I made a point the morning of surgery of asking that they first give me some anesthetic before they start putting tubes in everywhere, and they did; I never felt a thing.

Please ask all your specific questions; there are many on this site eager to share all their experiences. You can also use the search button which does a very good job of providing specific answers.

hi DAS Mom!
my husband joey had his ross procedure done by dr. stelzer at beth israel, exactly 6 months ago tomorrow! they are very good at pain management there. the nurses were great (ofcourse, some better than others). just let them know that you are in pain and they will give you something. they gave joey percoset which did not agree with him at all (he started hallucinating and had psychotic episodes from it). they gave him motrin after that and sent him home with a large supply of tylenol 3.
the waiting is the worst part of this. once the day comes, it'll all be behind you before you know it and you'll just have to rest and recover.
there are some good deli's and a great muffin store (good sandwiches too) across the street from the hospital. deli' are all on 1st avenue , between 15th and 16th. i would go down each day and buy ice pops and soup for joey. he loved that (better than the hospital food).
what is your surgery date?
please let us know how you're doing, we're here for you.
be well,
sylvia

Hi DASMom-

Your pain will be well managed. The surgeons want you to work hard on your breathing and walking very soon after surgery. You will have soreness in the sternum area, and your back may get sore, neck also. The main problem with pain will be when you sneeze or cough. Most hospitals will provide you with a small pillow to clutch to your chest when these things happen. It helps. Ask about this when you go for your PATs.

I think most people will tell you that the pain wasn't as bad as they had imagined. It hurts like any operation, but you would expect that anyway.

Remember, the rewards will eventually outweigh all the surgical problems and your life will be vastly improved.

Let us know your date.

Best wishes.

bring a pillow!!

bring a pillow!!

almost forgot...they don't provide the pillows that nancy was referring to at beth israel. please bring your own pillow_ one that's not too soft, but not too firm. (i actually think almost any pillow will do if you roll it up the right way). if i think of anything else, i'll just chime in again!
please keep us posted,
sylvia

I was given a teddy bear to hold against my chest. Sir Koffs-A-Lott, that's his name, at least that's what his shirt says. Only time in my life that a 50 year old could walk around holding a teddy bear:) .
Diffinately have it around! Tha first sneeze at home is a killer!
carbo

Hey DAS - and welcome. For pain, in the hospital they will take care of that so not to worry. When you leave they will give you a rx and you will be sort of on your own as to when you need it. But, of course, the rx will limit how many per day. I found I needed mine at night mostly as lying down is hard to do for awhile. You have to really think about how you are going to get comfortable and there are so many suggestions as how to do that - from bean bags to Laz-y-boys.

The pillow they gave me was a little one and be sure to take it with you everywhere because Janie's 'evil sneeze' can catch you unawares and you may find you sneeze more than you ever did! Probably not, but it seems like it -and it really hurts like h***. Nearly the worst part of recovery. But the pillow helps so much and it will be your best friend for awhile.

Naturally you are nervous and probably scared, too. That is what we all went through and nearly all of us said that was the worst part of the whole thing - the waiting. We are going into unknown territory which is earthshaking in itself, however when it's over you will know you needn't have worried. We can say that now - you can't, but you will. Promise

When is your surgery? We need to put in the calendar. God bless

DASMom - Glad to have you in our forum. I never had any problem with pain. However, it was uncomfortable laying there and I couldn't sleep. But in just a day or two they have you on your feet. It took a few weeks to get back to normal with sleep and aches. The incision never bothered me at all.

Hi DAS,

Well, Seems most everything was covered from the posts, the sneezing, the pillow, sleeping on yourr back, etc.

As for pain, hopefully it will be well managed so that you are as comfortable as possble. BUT, if you are not, don't be a hero, tell them that you are in pain, and that you want some pain killers.

It is a proven fact, that pain management helps people heal faster.

Wishing you the best, good luck with your upcoming surgery,

Rob

In case anyone wants to make a heart pillow for a valve replacement patient, here's what Joe's looks like. The hospital volunteers make them here. It's red, of course, 19" wide at the widest point, 16" high at the tallest point, and 6" thick, stuffed with medium fullness, in other words, not to hard, not too soft, just right. Made out of cotton or polyester smooth fabric. I added a carrying handle to his.

Pillow

Pillow

Nancy said:
In case anyone wants to make a heart pillow for a valve replacement patient, here's what Joe's looks like. The hospital volunteers make them here. It's red, of course, 19" wide at the widest point, 16" high at the tallest point, and 6" thick, stuffed with medium fullness, in other words, not to hard, not too soft, just right. Made out of cotton or polyester smooth fabric. I added a carrying handle to his.

Hey Thanks Nancy!

My wife has been wondering what these pillows everybody talks about are like. Now we know!!

Jack ( Welland )

Latest posts

Back