Surgery getting close!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorimacm

I haven't been on this site in several weeks, my mom had emergency surgery (not heart related) and now she has moved in with us. She is 82 and can not live alone any longer. (All new stresses in my house.)

Anyway, starting to get little freaked out about surgery. I saw a surgeon and felt good about the visit but had another echo (waiting to get all the results), but I did find out that my aortic valve diameter reduced by 10% in one month to .96 cm. He said surgery is getting close. I did get a referral for a new cardiologist and will see him on Friday. I can't wait to get in his office and talk with him. I had a scary thing happen yesterday at work- I almost passed out for the first time. I was sitting at my desk looking at my computer and everything started to tip sideways and get blurry and I thought this was it I was going down. I put my head in my hands for a few minutes and seemed ok. By the time I got home I was dizzy again and shaking but couldn't lay down cause heart pounds so much in a laying position. After about an hour of rest I felt better. Maybe I am getting myself worked up about all this.

I have faith in God, I trust in him and I accept my circumstance. I am getting so scared now about handling the surgery and recovery since it is getting closer. How much pain will there be. I worry about my family, I don't think they realize the magnitude of what's happening here and how this will effect them in helping me recover.

Sorry to vent, I just needed some reassurance and thought you all could help.

Thanks so much!
Lori

Lori, my take, not an expert opinion : if you are feeling SOB, and getting close to fainting, you need surgery sooner rather than later; call the surgeon and tell him (or the office) of these incidents. It is also usually the surgeon call, not the cardio, who says when surgery is indicated, along with yourself. The longer you wait, the more damage you may be doing to your heart, and the harder it will be to "remodel" itself, and it may even become permanent. The critical point for each of us is different. I myself did not feel I was symptomatic before surgery, it was not until after surgery that I realised how bad I had been.

As for the other changes in your life, sorry I am not much help. Just make sure that you get enough sleep, eat well, exercise etc. It is obviously important that you keep yourself in tip-top shape, this surgery IS a big deal, and if you need some help of the chemical variety (I am thinking sleeping pills, Xanax etc.) to see you through this, so be it. You have had a lot thrust on your plate, and a little help coping is not an admission of failure.

At the same thime, this surgery is NOT a big deal - these doctors do it day in, day out, and the entire medical team have it all worked out. Yes, things can go wrong, but they know that, and they know what to do to take care of it.

In the meantime, you may need to talk with some of your docs, as well as some of your mothers, and see if you can't get some help looking after her. Could she maybe go into a care home for 2 or 3 weeks after your surgery to allow you to recover? Or have a close friend or relative move in with you to look after both of you? If you start now looking into these arrangements, it will be less stress on you the closer you get.

Sorry this is long, but you left a lot of ground to cover!

.96---Your well in the window for surgery!

The pain is pain, it's not as terrrible as your probably imaging, but yeah, it hurts. Your first 3 days are the worst. After that, it's a matter of learning how to move without inflicting pain on yourself. It's really not that bad. My hip replacement hurt 100 times worse.

You can't worry about family now. You have to focus on you.

Thanks so much! I have an appt tomorrow to discuss with the cardio. I just want to get this surgery selected soon - I think that will help with this anxiety I'm feeling, the uncertainty of timing is driving me nuts. I will definitely be talking to him about something to help me sleep. Rest is such a wonderful thing, my mind will be much clearer.

Thanks again!

Oh boy, I had those dizzy spells too, they are not fun and should not be ignored.
When I stupidly delayed my surgery too long, my valve was at .8 and I was forbidden from driving my car.
You may want to plan on some kind of home care for your Mom or maybe a rehab centre for a couple of weeks.
A couple of weeks before surgery my doc gave me a few Ativan pills of .5 mg and just having them on hand was a help, even though I never took one. :)

Latest posts

Back