Surgery done and successful

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kschul

Hello to everyone,

My surgery was on the 22nd and my surgeon was able to do as planned, a valve sparing aortic root replacement. First two days a little hairy with a lot of intraoperative blood loss and rhythm problems. I had to remain intubated and awake for about nine hours before the nurses started feeling bad for me and started calling doctors to try to get an order for extubation, by this point I was suctioning myself and writing notes to let them know how I was feeling. I would say for me the problem wasn't the tube but how dry mouth was. After that everything I'm told was par for the course. I'm home feeling pretty darn good. I have a F/U in about a week and am curious to find out more information about what actually happened in the OR my husband was told my aortic root was inflamed and had alot of adhesions and was very stiff to work with. I have an auto-immune disease that gives me a lot of generalized inflammation which is why this happened in the first place.

Very pleased with the care that I got at Northwestern and am glad things seem to be progresing so far as nice as they are.

Thanks again for all of the good thoughts.

Kris:)

Welcome home and to your new life! Yours sounded a bit hairy there. You may have posted it, but I didn't see it, who was your surgeon?

surgeons name

surgeons name

My surgeon was Dr. Chris Malaisrie out of Northwestern in Chicago. There have been at least three other members here who have had surgery with him in the last two months.

Glad to hear your doing well. For me the problem was the dry mouth. I swear I didn't even know a mouth could get that dry. I remember when the finally gave me some ice chips. This is gonnna sound really dumb but this is how dry I felt. I remember thinking "wow, these ice chips are better than sex". I was so happy to have them. Unfortunatly I had too many and threw up about 2 hours later.

Hi Kris!
Welcome to the other side, yikes no fun what you went through, but it is now behind you. Hope your able to get out and walk a bit and keep up on the spirometer. Congratulations!

Glad to hear that now your are doing well. I hope your recovery goes smoothly.

Glad to hear that you are home and recovering, sorry about the complications, but
good to have good medical care. Laura

Kris! SO glad you are feeling better. It all gets better from here on out. And I totally feel for the dry mouth. All I could think about and ask for was water after my surgery. Even after they actually let me have some ... and I got sick. In fact, right now I am realizing how I take for granted that I can have water whenever I want :) Ready for a Malaisrie get together in a couple months?? Matt's idea.

Still feeling pretty good, felt a little bit more tired today and my visiting nurse heard a little bit of a difference in my right lung base, possibly a small effusion. Still waiting to hear back from the doctor to see if I need to do anything, otherwise, I'm a little over two weeks post-op and feeling pretty good was able to get out of the house this weekend and visit friends. I still consider things to be progressing nicely and will see the cardiologist this Thursday.

Kris

Glad to here you are doing well and hope for a very speedy recovery god bless you

Doctors office called back about the lung sounds and was not overly concerned since I am not gaining weight, no swelling, and no fever. I see them on Thursday with a scheduled CXR anyway. This evening I'm actually feeling even better was able to work in the yard a little and walk around the block for the second time today and make some dinner all without any naps.

Every day seems better and am looking forward to being able to actually exercise. I've gained about eight pounds before surgery just from not being able to do any exercising but still have a good appetite. :D

Kris

Back