Surgery Date Set...and Nervous

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Frank

Hi gang,

You may have read my reply to Scotty that contains some info on my situation. For 18 months I've been struggling with the decision to have mitral valve surgery. My condition is that I have severe mitral regurgitation with some dialation of the LV and the LA. My LV is 6.7cm and my LA is 4.7cm. Although I really don't recognize many symptoms, I seem to avoid much physical activity and spend a lot of time on the Internet researching my condition and watching TV. 18 months ago I played basketball every week and worked out several times a week as well. I stopped all that when I found out about my condition after an annual physical.

My cardiologist has encouraged me to have the surgery all along. I even got a second opinion and he also concurred. My surgeon concurred but knowing I was nervous said I could wait until my LA was 5.0 cm. Even though it has maintained the same size (4.7cm) through three echoes taken every 6 months, when I look at the distance on a scale .3cm is very small.

As I have been racked by anxiety for this entire time I called the surgeon Dr. Dennis Pupello the other day and scheduled the surgery. I go into the hospital next Wednesday for the cath, the surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. Now I'm really nervous. Upon waking in the morning I find my self questioning my decision. My question to the veterans is how did you endure those final days before the surgery. Any thoughts, support or opinions on my conditon would be much appreciated.

Over about the last year or so I've been reading the posts on this forum and praying for those approaching surgery. I,m getting relief from praying and taking Xanax but this waiting is tough. Again any advise and prayers would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long email, I just had to vent.
Frank

Good for you!

Good for you!

Frank, you're half way there already! You've taken a very large step by calling the surgeon and scheduling your procedure. It's difficult not to think about it, but if you set your mind on your opportunities to get back into playing b-ball, you will feel much better.

Funny how sports analogies work. I was thinking about the Cubs (yeah, dem poor ol' Cubs!) when I was rolled into the operating room where there was a 9-player team of technicians, surgeons, nurses and support people focussing their attention on me. I felt fine knowing my life was in these pros' hands. Then I thought...let's "play ball!"

Of course, prayers help too. Find out if your church or friends will start a "prayer-chain" for you. You will know it when you wake up.

Try to think of the good things you are going to do (for yourself and others) AFTER your surgery and not the surgery itself. Little details can drive ya crazy, but concentrating on the bigger post surgery picture is a lot more fun. Forget about your centimeters and technical stuff, that's for the medical pros to worry about now.

I NEVER participated in a 5K or belonged to a health club until AFTER surgery. Go figure! Wouldn't miss them now. My diet sucked and I ate bad stuff anytime I felt like it. Not anymore! I know what I'm putting in my mouth.

Your life needs change and it will.

If I were you, I'd go out to the driveway (or indoor gym) right now and shoot some free throws until you get tired. Rest and do it again tomorrow. See how you can start that re-focusing going.

Best regards.

Hi Frank,

Yes, the waiting period before surgery is the absolute worst, and the anxiety goes through the roof at times. I think you did the right thing by scheduling the surgery a.s.a.p. If it needs to be done, than get it over with before any damage to the heart is done.
I personally had to wait 12 days before going in, and I remember getting a lot of info on the net. Sometimes it would scare me so much that I was unable to continue. But I wanted to know everything about it, and wanted to go into surgery being informed.
I also received the much needed support from the people on this forum, and for the rest I put my trust in God and in the medical team that were going to perform the surgery.
Surgery itself is not that bad. Very little pain afterwards, just a lot of discomfort. Try not to sneeze (hold your nose), and if you have to, make sure you have the little heart pillow to squeeze into your chest for support. You'll need to carry that little pillow with you for a while just in case you need to cough or sneeze.
Hope this helps!

Christina
Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

Hi Frank-

The waiting is very tough, once you have made your decision to go ahead. As you've probaby seen on this site, my husband Joe has had 3 open heart valve surgeries, and 2 lung surgeries. He was always very sick prior to each surgery so there was no doubt that it needed to be done. And because he's been so sick, his recoveries have been long and hard, with each subsequent one being more difficult than the last. But he is doing well since his last surgery, even though it's been a long tough road for him.

When you have few symptoms that are apparent to you, or you are just adjusting your life to accommodate them, it makes you wonder if this could go on for a long time without surgery, and you wouldn't be feeling too bad. But your doctors must be seeing things on your test results which indicate that your body is not tolerating this condition very well. There will come a time when your body can no longer compensate for your diseased heart and your symptoms will become very apparent and you will be very sick. Trust me when I say that it's far better to get it done before this happens. Your recovery will be faster because your body will be in better shape going into surgery.

The surgeons who do this are a very dedicated group. They are meticulous in their skills, and this is routine for them. Put your trust in your surgeon's skills and in your religious beliefs and you will be fine. You will also know that you are doing this not only for you, but for your loved ones who want you to live a long life as normally as possible. The future is ahead of you, concentrate on that. It will be a much brighter future when your heart is fixed.

I think the fact that you are having this done before your symptoms are too bad, is very much in your favor.

Best wishes

Hi Frank,
I can only echo what the previous posts have said,
making the decision mst have been difficult but afterwards you will feel so much better.
I am only 23 days post surgery and I feel so much better
before breathlessness was my only symptom,

my husband says I now walk at a normal pace,before surgery
he said I used to walk at a snails pace ( I was not aware of that )

so go for it Frank you will have the prayers and support of all of us here
Keep smiling
Jan

Frank, you are about to participate in the greatest event of your life and you must look at it that way. It is a lifesaving event and one that will make a wonderful difference that today you cannot possibly imagine. It will bring about an amazing transformation in the way you will live from then on.

Fear is maybe the most awesome emotion we can feel and every one of us who has been through heart surgery sure felt it - later, we were able to tell those who came after us that we got through it, even with the fear - and you will, as well.

Prayers are VERY important - you say them, as all of us will, ask your friends and loved ones to do it, too. Just imagine all of the helping hands that are holding yours to help you along. We are here at all hours if you want to come in and vent or seek support for that moment - usually someone is not far. And posts will come your way quickly.

Next week will come quicker than you think. And then you will be over the mountaintop with the rest of us and can tell someone else of your wonderful experience - because it will turn out to be wonderful, after all. God bless

Frank:

I know exactly how you are feeling because I am scheduled for mitral valve repair on February 7 or 8, so I am only a week behind you.

As the days get closer, my anxiety builds, but I take courage from all the people on this forum who have been through open heart surgery and obviously survived and are stronger and feel better for it. It is better to get it done before any permanent heart damage has occurred, and yes, we can try and talk ourselves out of it, but the last few months have certainly convinced me that I'm headed downhill and need to get this done.

This has been an occasion for me to learn new communcation skills with God. I am learning to read the subtle and sometimes not so subtle ways He answers prayers. I will be clinging tightly to those signs as I go into surgery, because that will be the most terrifying moment of my life!

The hardest thing for me is to give over control to someone else, and even to God. In this case, there is no other choice, so I will be learning new lessons.

My prayers are there for you.

Jennifer

That shall be more to you than a light and safer than a known way."

Last edited:
Hi Frank,

You finally made the decision and surgery date is set. This is scary but good. I agree with Perry. Try to focus more on post surgery and all the wonderful things you'll be able to do, that you haven't done for so long. Before surgery, I was like Jan. I walked so slow all the time. I never realized how slow I was walking until after I had surgery and could walk at a brisk pace without having to catch my breathe.
Waiting before surgery can be rough. You have to keep a positive outlook. The surgery to me, was truly miraculous. I put my faith in God and decided that what will be, will be. Prayer chains were going all over the place for me. Like Perry said, you'll know it when you wake up. It was just awesome!
I will be thinking and praying for you next Thursday when you have your surgery, as I know everyone else here will be too.
Like Jan said, after surgery, watch out for the sneezes and hold on to your pillow! You'll need it!

Frank - I must admit I procrastinated about this surgery for a long time. I didn't have many symptoms, although maybe I was just lying to myself. I waited in 1999 until 2001. My second opinion told me to have the surgery within six months, I waited seven months. Anyway, you and your kids will be better off after surgery. The risks are small and you can stop worrying about it. Good luck.

Frank....

Truly wishing you all the best. 'Waiting' was the most difficult.

When you find yourself having a rough time of it....think of us, all of the individuals that have made it. Looks like your doctor has given you something for your anxiety. That helps.

Please keep in mind that we are available to answer any questions you may have.

The good news is...... you will notice easy breathing as you recover. Feeling like a million bucks is worth everything endured.

Take care and keep us posted.

surgery

surgery

Frank, Having had several open hearts- and awaiting another valve surgery, I can tell you that a postive attitude is most important. Leave the worring to the doctor. With my last surgery in 1999, I was so worried, but as soon as I got the the hospital, I left it behind. It was out of my hands at that point. You are going to do great and feel so much better. Even though my valve needs replacement again, I still feel 100% better than I did with my original defective valve. And I know that when they finally replace this one, I'm going to be even better! You will be amazed at how much better you feel! Best of luck! Maureen

Frank... go ahead and VENT, VENT, VENT!!! My mv surgery was postponed five times before finally being done Oct. 3, 2000... so I had the whole summer to stew about this.

Zipper is right THINK POSITIVE!!! Your life will be back to normal before you know it... but be warned!!! It will sneak up on you. One morning you will wake up and find that YOU FEEL GREAT AGAIN!!! YIPPPEEEEE!!!!

BTW: My wonderful surgeon was able to repair my valve!!!

Take care,
Zazzy

To Zipper#5

To Zipper#5

I was wondering where you were. What's been happening in your life. Fill us in please. You mentioned that you need another surgery.

Hi Frank,

The waiting is the worse. I would say it is probably the worst part of the whole ordeal. I got lucky in that respect. I got a call that there was an opening the next morning if I wanted to do it now come on in. This cut the waiting time right out for me.
Prayer and family support help a lot. Mine walked with me while they wheeled me to the prep room and are the first thing I Remember seing when I woke up.

Gods speed and we will be praying for ya.

Mike in Houston

Good move!

Good move!

Frank.

Won't it be great to have this behind you and to be able to lend your support to those of us who a still waiting?

Everyone says the waiting is the worst part, so I guess I'm going trough the worst part with you. My surgery isn't scheduled until 2/26, with the cath on 2/25. You'll be on your way to recovery by then.

I've been followed for about 4 and a half years with echos every six months. Even though I knew I would need the AVR eventually, it was still a shock when the cardiologist said it's time now. Plus there is now a need for MV repair or replacement too.

Best of luck to you and I'll be watching for your posts soon telling us you've successfully climbed your mountain.

hi frank!
everyone here is so very right_ the waiting is the worst part of it all! i remember joey's surgery was scheduled for sept. 12th and we were downtown nyc for pre-op when the wtc incident took place. naturally, we had to reschedule.
it was hard enough prepping ourselves for the sept. 12th surgery, and when it was put off a week, we had to just see it as "found time".
do try and keep yourself busy with positive things. i spent a good deal of that time on this forum and found it to be so reassuring to me. we are here to hold your hand throughout this difficult time. feel free to call on any of us, someone's usually here.
as others have also said, you will be amazed at how great you will feel after the surgery. joey has upon several occasions said that if he knew how good he would feel after this surgery, he would have opted for it much sooner.

we also used guided imagery tapes to help us relax and slow down (joey even used them in the hospital). the ones we used were by diane tusek and can be found at :[email protected]. diane has a very soothing voice and has actually put me to sleep! she is a lovely person too.
wishing you the best while you wait. we will all be praying for you.
God bless you,
sylvia

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back