Surgery Date - Sep 25th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello and welcome! you are lucky indeed to have met that DR and now to take care of it so soon! I had about 3 months to wait before surgery and it was very distracting to say the least! m 39 too and 3 months post op with an ATS valve. sounds to me like you have the right attitude.. just keep busy til the big day! even if it means shopping, or something else you dont usually do! Best of luckk and keep usposted and of course let us know if you have any ?s or just need to vent!

Good Morning Everyone:

So I had my pre-op angiogram on Friday and have good and sorta-bad news to report.

Good news, is that my arteries are nice and clean, and except for my useless aortic valve and enlarged aortic root, my heart is in good shape.

The sorta-bad news, is that while the proceedure itself went OK, after 4 hours of waiting for my femoral artery to heal (clamped, and then a 10 pound sand bag), once I got up to walk, I took about 10 steps and it hemmoraged. The pain of having the nurses put immediate manual pressure on it to stop the bleeding isn't something I'd like to repeat anytime soon. I didnt' swear once though :cool:.

I ended up having to stay an extra 24 hours before they would let me leave. So I got home last night at about 7:00.

So here I sit, with my whole right right side from my waist to mid-thigh a lovely shade of purple. They reckon I leaked about a cup and a half of blood. It isn't painful (unlike if it were a bruse), just a bit stiff. One of the nurses mentioned that they get about one of these a week, and usually its the people who have clean arteries...ironic.

That's it for golf now though until spring.

I'm sorry that happened, I can imagine how scary it must have been. I'm glad it isn't painful.
Good thing about the test results tho.

Hi Thompson, and welcome. Im scheduled for my surgery in 1 month... and i find its hard waiting. I too have no symptoms, until i read about them..lol Im just ready to get fixed and move on. I have been a mental case since i found this out in Feb. of this year. But if i made it since then, the next 30 days should be ok. At least that is what i tell myself. You have definately found the right site for answers and support. Most on here, can answer any question you have or will have. I try to stay busy, but it weighs on my mind daily. I do find piece of mind when im on this site,reading and writing. It seems to block it out somehow. I find that strange, reading about my condition and so many others, makes me not think about it.....lol. Its a mental thing for sure. Well good luck, an if you want to chat, shoot me a message. Danny

Good Morning Everyone:

So I had my pre-op angiogram on Friday and have good and sorta-bad news to report.

Good news, is that my arteries are nice and clean, and except for my useless aortic valve and enlarged aortic root, my heart is in good shape.

The sorta-bad news, is that while the procedure itself went OK, after 4 hours of waiting for my femoral artery to heal (clamped, and then a 10 pound sand bag), once I got up to walk, I took about 10 steps and it hemorrhaged. The pain of having the nurses put immediate manual pressure on it to stop the bleeding isn't something I'd like to repeat anytime soon. I didn't' swear once though :cool:.

I ended up having to stay an extra 24 hours before they would let me leave. So I got home last night at about 7:00.

So here I sit, with my whole right right side from my waist to mid-thigh a lovely shade of purple. They reckon I leaked about a cup and a half of blood. It isn't painful (unlike if it were a bruise), just a bit stiff. One of the nurses mentioned that they get about one of these a week, and usually its the people who have clean arteries...ironic.

That's it for golf now though until spring.
Yup!Same thing happened to me after heart cath.They tucked me in and told me not to raise my leg.No sooner than the nurse left I felt it where the plug was and it seemed like it was really swelled up.I told my wife and she said to press the button for the nurse.I'm glad she was there because I probably wouldn't have seeing the nurse had just left.So she comes in and runs out and got another nurse and than they proceed to apply pressure to get rid of the hematoma that was forming.I got luckier than you though.I got to go home about five hour later!!

Yup!Same thing happened to me after heart cath.They tucked me in and told me not to raise my leg.No sooner than the nurse left I felt it where the plug was and it seemed like it was really swelled up.I told my wife and she said to press the button for the nurse.I'm glad she was there because I probably wouldn't have seeing the nurse had just left.So she comes in and runs out and got another nurse and than they proceed to apply pressure to get rid of the hematoma that was forming.I got luckier than you though.I got to go home about five hour later!!

Hematoma, yeah that was what they called it. I had three nurses on me in no time, but unfortuantely the freezing and pain meds had worn off because it had been about 5 hours since the proceedure. The application of the pressure hurt like hell until they got some pain meds into me. I had one nurse putting the pressure on, one giving me a shot, and a third hooking me back up to the blood pressure and heart monitor machine. Good thing it happened before I went home.

Hi!
Glad to read that the arteries are clear, but having a hemmorhage after your angio certainly doesn't sound too pleasant!

Freaken hurt, no doubt about it. I really can't believe I didn't swear. I kept thinking, "there are lots of people around, be polite, don't use the F word". :)

Didn't swear once, I'm impressed! Sorry you had to experience that. Just wanted to say welcome to the boards, it's a great place to be when you're going through all this!

Latest posts

Back