Surgery almost 2 weeks ago and Heartburn

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliek

I had my aortic valve replaced October 22 at Texas Heart in Houston by Dr. Joseph Coselli. I am 60 years old and got a St. Jude Trifecta. I asked Dr. Coselli specifically for a tissue valve. I was home in Fort Worth by Saturday evening October 26. I had the usual pain and fatigue, but once I got out the Fentanyl haze in ICU I took Tylenol for pain. I began walking very soon hoping to get stronger and reduce shortness of breath – which I did. I am 5’6” and fairly thin, have a good appetite, but have still lost 7lbs. I hear that is not uncommon and not worried about that.

The doctors have said my old valve was damaged b/c of “connective tissue disorder” – I have Rheumatoid Arthritis in remission now and active Sjogren’s Syndrome. I also have high blood pressure. Before the surgery I took Norvasc, Tekturna and Lisinopril. Now I take Lopressor .25 twice daily with Norvacs and Lisinopril. Without the Lopressor my heart rate was high up to 90, but BP and HR are good now. My cardiologist added the Norvasc b/c the Lisinopril and Lopressor I was discharged home on from Houston was not keeping the BP down.

I was doing very well and had a visit to my cardiologist for base line echo last Wednesday. He was very pleased with my progress. That very day I had some heart burn and took Prilosec. The next day it was worse – doubled over in pain after eating anything or not eating anything. Continued the Prilosec and found some Probiotics some one gave me once that I never took. I finally have some relief, but the heartburn pain is very much there. I have a sensitive stomach from years of taking Naprosyn and Aspirin when I had active RA and now don’t take ever, but I have never had heartburn pain like this.

I wondered what was different and thought about the Lopressor. I found a couple of writings on VR – one by Tobagotwo and Beta Blockers and heartburn. I am going to call the cardiologist tomorrow hopefully get some help. I’m sort of worried he will pooh pooh the beta blocker connection -what else can I take? Otherwise, I will have to a make an appointment with gastroenterologist. I am very disappointed to think it appeared I came through heart surgery so well and now have this problem.

If you have any suggestions please let me know. I wanted to say from my diagnosis 6 years ago to current VR has been a life saver. Thank you!

I was Rx'd heart burn medicine, maybe prilosec, while I was in the hospital and for 30 days after. I only had occasional heartburn previously so was a little annoyed at having to take it but my surgeon wanted me to continue it for the full month as a preventative. I didn't question this too much as it didn't seem like a big deal compared with OHS, but apparently heartburn after OHS is not uncommon. I didn't have issues with heart burn that first month, or after I stopped taking the heart burn meds (I'm still on Metoprolol and Losartan). This may just be related to your surgery, and temporary. I'm sure your cardiologist will be able to advise.

I was Rx'd heart burn medicine, maybe prilosec, while I was in the hospital and for 30 days after. I only had occasional heartburn previously so was a little annoyed at having to take it but my surgeon wanted me to continue it for the full month as a preventative. I didn't question this too much as it didn't seem like a big deal compared with OHS, but apparently heartburn after OHS is not uncommon. I didn't have issues with heart burn that first month, or after I stopped taking the heart burn meds (I'm still on Metoprolol and Losartan). This may just be related to your surgery, and temporary. I'm sure your cardiologist will be able to advise.

Thank you. This was helpful to me. Appreciate your reply.

juliek

For what it's worth, my brother had terrible stomach problems immediately after his hernia operation. It turned out that he was taking lots of Advil (Ibuprofen) for the post-surgery pain and it was tearing up his stomach lining. Given your history with NSAIDs, I wouldn't expect you're taking Ibuprofen.

juliek

For what it's worth, my brother had terrible stomach problems immediately after his hernia operation. It turned out that he was taking lots of Advil (Ibuprofen) for the post-surgery pain and it was tearing up his stomach lining. Given your history with NSAIDs, I wouldn't expect you're taking Ibuprofen.

No, I can't touch them- tear up my stomach. I hope your brother recovered.

Latest posts

Back