Surgeon's in Chicago

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nick,

Welcome to VR.COM! I had Dr. Jeevenandum too and he was great! He replaced my Aortic and Mitral Valve and repaired my Triscuspid valve in March 2001. I think you chose good by going with Dr. McCarthy though at NWH. They are both great surgeons.

We have the same cardio ... Mendelson ... if I remember correctly.

Nick ... Fabyan ... and others ... did your cardiologist not give you some referrals for surgeons? If not, I'm surprised.... Hope you all have found the answers you need....

And, seems like we have a bunch of new Chicago area members ... feel welcomed to join us here:
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29347

Actually, my Chicago cardiologist suggested only one surgeon, Dr. M. Frank. I think there is a bit of bias there as this is someone he works with in Evanston. When other doctors were mentioned I was told their 'results' had not been satisfactory. Oddly enough, Dr. Frank was not covered by my insurance. I also found it difficult to get in touch with other surgeons in the area - not sure why, but felt like I was getting the run-around by everyone I called; no return calls, etc. I chose to call the Texas Medical Center. The insurance company was happy, and the service was very good.

I think everyone should not rule out going to another location to get the best possible service. However, this is only my recommendation and opinion. If it's feasible, and you have friends/family willing to help, take advantage of the opportunity.

Regards,
Roderick

We have the same cardio ... Mendelson ... if I remember correctly.

Nick ... Fabyan ... and others ... did your cardiologist not give you some referrals for surgeons? If not, I'm surprised.... Hope you all have found the answers you need....
From one Chicago member. My cardiologist is Dr Robert Bonow at Northwestern. He is head of cardiology there along with Dr McCarthy. I have to say that he just sort of told me that Dr. Malaisrie would be the surgeon for my type of surgery at NMH. He did explain to me that Dr McCarthy brought him in for surgeries on the Aorta.

I did end up meeting with and having my surgery with Dr Malaisrie. I liked him very much and he did a great job. I did my own investigation here at VR as so many of us have done. After doing so, I insisted on a meeting with Dr McCarthy. They made it a tentative appointment waiting to see if I just decided with Malaisrie after meeting with him. Malaisrie knew this and suggested that I meet with Dr McCarthy. He answered some additional questions for me and really just put me more at ease with Dr Malaisrie and his skills. He also suggested that I schedule my surgery on a day that he would be there "just in case". Luckily there was no need for him. Though I do know that he was there for at least a portion of my surgery as Dr Malaisrie told me so.

The most important thing is that everyone is confident and comfortable with their surgeon. I do wish that my cardio had given me some more information. I especially wish that all cardio's give their patients facing surgery this website. I told Dr McCarthy VR.com and it seemed it was the first time he had heard of it. He was interested and his NP write it down to check it out. Who knows, maybe he is giving it out now!

The most important thing is that everyone is confident and comfortable with their surgeon.

Amen!

All of my surgeries have been done at Children's Memorial Hospital. Mavroudis and Backer were my surgeons in January 2003 ... and, from the minute we met with them in December 2002, I felt completely comfortable with them. Funny thing is ... they asked me if I would rather have them do the surgery at Northwestern ... since CMH is a ... well ... children's hospital. Without hesitating, I said, "Nope ... do it here. I'm going to be asleep during the surgery ... I'd rather YOU be comfortable!"

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"What's it gonna take to lay a few burdens down?" ... Newsboys ... 'Million Pieces'

Latest posts

Back