Surgeon Visit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiemember

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well, I went to see the surgeon for the first time yesterday. He was really good - spent a lot of time with us and answered all our questions.

Anyway, even though the angio showed the regurg as very severe he said he was more inclined to believe the echos and the TEE reports and would rate it as mod-severe but leaning towards severe. However, despite the fact that my heart dimensions are all normal and not changing, he is of the opinion that it is better to do the surgery sooner rather than later, before any damage to the heart occurs. He believes that the risk of surgery increases once this happens.

Because I have bi-leaflet prolapse it is much more difficult to repair - he rated it only a 50/50 chance, so he is going to decide once he actually sees the valve, but will only do a repair if he is confident it will hold. Otherwise he will do a replacement.

He wants to do the OHS within the next 6 months but is recommending that because I have continuing problems with endometriosis that I have a hysterectonomy first and then OHS 3 months after that. So I am off to get a referral to the gyno today.

I was expecting the OHS bit but the gyno bit really knocked me for six as I have just had my appendix out - all this and I'm only 39 :confused:

Anyway, life goes on and thanks to this forum I know there is a lot of life to be lived after OHS ;)

Yes, this is all happening quickly, but it's probably a good idea to get this all taken care of while you are at a younger age and can recover faster. Best wishes, stay positive.

I am really sorry that you have so much to deal with at such a young age, but your age is also in your favor and just think how many really "good" years you are going to have once this is all behind you. Prayers and best wishes speeding your way.

Aussiemember-
I also had a bi-leaflet repair and your surgeon is correct in that they are much more difficult (of course - he's the expert). With a difficult repair such as this, you may want to shop around and find a surgeon who specializes in repairs. My Cardiologist told me prior to my surgery that if I really wanted a repair, I should travel up to UCLA where the venerable Dr. Laks operates (about a 60-mile trip for me at the time). He said that any of the local heart surgeons would have almost certainly replaced it, as that is a comparatively easier surgery under the conditions I presented them. I was quoted a 90% chance of repair going into the surgery by my surgeon. Best wishes moving forward.

I absolutely agree with MikeHeim!! It is amazing what a surgeon who really specializes in valve reconstruction can do. And then, if the absolutely best surgeons cannot do a repair, you will at least be assured that probably no surgeon could have done it, and you won't be kicking yourself saying "I should have gone to So-and-so.

Sorry to hear that you have so much going on right now...so many decisions to make and so much to go through over the next year. Thinking of you at this time.
By the way, what surgeon are you going to see? I'm from Melb too and have a cousin who is a cardiac nurse...if you would like me to ask who the best surgeons are for repairs etc, I'm happy to ask. Unfortunately here in Aus, there's far fewer surgeons than the in US.

You have lots going on, but it's best to get these things taken care of while you are strong and in otherwise good health. I'm glad to hear they are going to repair/replace sooner rather than later. I had borderline severe regurg, with no heart damage, when they first decided I needed OHS. However, by the time I actually got scheduled for the OR, about 6 months, I had begun to show signs of heart chamber enlargement. The good news is that post-op, the enlargement subsided and the heart is back to normal. Hang in there and best wishes.

You are dealing with alot, but as others have said, your age is on your side.
Stay positive and keep the faith!:)

Hi everyone - thanks so much for your replies.

I did a lot of research once I found out I would need OHS and this surgeon (Peter Skillington) was recommended by three cardios plus a number of people on VR.com as the best in Melbourne - Unfortunately we haven't got the big clinics that you guys have over in the US. but anyway Peter seems great and I'm glad I found him. Same surgeon as you surfsparky :D

Wayne - Interesting to hear about your valve situation - From reading vr.com I wasn't surprised the surgeon wanted to operate sooner rather than later which is why I wanted to see him in the first place.

Well, I went to the GP yesterday and am seeing the gyno in early January and I guess the ball will start rolling from there. Will keep you updated if there is any other news :)

We can't speak highly enough of Peter Skillington. Glad that you have him too. Chris has his annual check-up with him in Dec.
Ther's a few of us from Melbourne now on VR.com...maybe we'll have to have our own little reunion!

Yolanda

aussiemember

aussiemember

you do have a lot going on, just take it one step at a time and concentrate on keeping yourself fit and happy, too. You do have a lot of life left to live once this is all over, and spending a year fixing you up is not a lot of time in the big scheme of things. And, it is better to get the little things taken of first (did I just call a hysterectomy a "little thing???") lol; that way, you won't have to upset your post-OHS meds and regime once you get them all balanced out.

goodness me! appendix, endometriosis? That's enough all by itselt. But best to get it done so it doesn't interfere with the biggie that's coming up. You've waited long for it and don't need other problems messing with it. We're keeping watch. Blessins.........

Latest posts

Back