Sudden heart related death in young people

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My youngest son was 22 when he died suddenly. He was perfectly healthy in every way,,planning his wedding. There were no warnings at all that something was wrong. I had taken ill several years before with my own heart ailment. We have since traced back sudden death heart problems for generations and are part of a gene study with the Oregon Health and Science Institute. My older son has echos done every 2 years but the doctors say that is not much reassurance as this can happen so suddenly. It deserves much more research.

It is a very common and tragic problem it seem here (Southern USA). We had a rash of student athletes die suddenly with heart issues. They (the schools) are trying to improve screening ... no one expects heart problems in teen athletes ... very sad.

My youngest son was 22 when he died suddenly. He was perfectly healthy in every way,,planning his wedding. There were no warnings at all that something was wrong. I had taken ill several years before with my own heart ailment. We have since traced back sudden death heart problems for generations and are part of a gene study with the Oregon Health and Science Institute. My older son has echos done every 2 years but the doctors say that is not much reassurance as this can happen so suddenly. It deserves much more research.

Lou, What a great way to honour your son by volunteering to be part of the study.:)

There were quite a few SCD's with the athletes in Michigan for a while too last year or the year before. It's odd because I never gave it a thought when I was growing up... I guess it's pretty usual for a few people to die on big marathons with a big number of people.

Back