Stupid - Stupid - Stupid - Bleeding

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INRtest

As a mature adult, I thought that I was perfectly comfortable with being "different." Now, however, I'm very frustrated.

After some personal issues at home the past few weeks, I was able to score a week of relaxation in Hawaii (where I'm sitting typing on my computer right now). It's beautiful here and truly a necessary getaway in order to protect my emotional & heart health.

The good was when I hiked with a very large crowd up to Diamond Head. Less than a mile up, but, rather steep in parts with 99 steps towards the end of the climb. I had no problems at all. 5 1/2 years ago, for 6 months after my surgery, I wouldn't have had the strength to walk from my car to the entrance.

So yesterday, while snorkeling at Hanuaba Bay, a most beautiful spot 25 minutes from Waikiki, I barely scraped my forearm on some coral. Wouldn't you know it, when I got out of the water, this minor scrape, bled. And bled. And then bled some more. I more or less got the bleeding to stop and later in the day bought some bandaids. Two bandaids seemed to correct the issue, but I had to apply two more when I saw blood on the bed sheets as I was watching the Academy Awards last night. Now, this morning, here is again some blood on the sheets.

Minor scrape. INR was in the low range (2.5) when I left home last week. Not painful. Not a big deal, just an annoyance. Oh well, it's still better than being dead. "Bleeders" unite and let's call ourselves, "valvereplacement.org"-ers.

Even if the bleeding has stopped, be very careful. Coral can cause infections.

By the way, my hubby and I snorkled at Hanauma Bay during our honeymoon!

Jess:
Different types of cuts can be more difficult to stop the bleeding.
What you need to do is get a box of gauze pads and apply pressure until you're reasonably sure it's stopped bleeding. Then bandage the spot.

I had an avulsion cut -- not a simple slice -- and it bled from Monday night until Thursday. I did go to the ER that Monday night, paid $100 co-pay and they did not get the bleeding under control. NOTE: It would have continued to bleed on anyone because there was the cut was too wide to bring the wides together and suture. I wrapped my hand in a roll of paper towels to soak up the blood and to try to apply pressure to the spot.
I learned to be more careful when cutting onions for Frito pie. ;)

Thank you for your comments. It really looks more like a scrape than a cut. The bleeding has stopped and I want to keep it unbandaged so that it can begin healing. Since it doesn't look infected, it's just another "VR annoyance."

Even if the bleeding has stopped, be very careful. Coral can cause infections.

I'd have to do some checking, but I also believe coral may have some sort of biological anticoagulant of it's own, which may be why the bleeding is harder to stop. I would imagine you washed the area with good old soap and water?

Thick & Thin

Thick & Thin

Thank god you were on the thick end of your range when you got that scrape...if you had been on the thin end all your blood could've run out...Just kidding!

-Philip

I know this is an annoyance.....but it's hard for me to feel sorry for you! YOU are in Hawaii for Gods sake!!!! Just kidding, but relax and have a good time!

Mileena

I've had those stupid times also. Once I bit the end of my tongue.. I mean big time!

So happen my INR was 4.5, it's not easy holding teabags on the tip of the tongue for hours. Wife though I look funny. :p

Enjoy Hawaii!
Our last time was Maui in 07.

Thank god you were on the fermented end of your range when you got that scrape...if you had been on the thin end all your blood could've run out...Just kidding!

-Philip

Fixed! Stop this thick/thin stuff. Do you want me to go Medievil on you?

Coral.....OUCH be sure and suntan it now so it matches (LOL)
Some cement gouge met my knee 2 weeks ago after i slipped
on chunk of ice ...sure ...i fell on clean dry cement ,cost me 2
stitches in my knee @ as i could feel the bleeding under my
pant leg felt like a tap running,looked like (murder)
It depends on how bad the injury i would agree with what Marsha says above.
But oh it would hurt for you to ....try to enjoy your warm Hawaii Sunshine
my neighbors are there and called me when the horn went off in the distance
Boy that horn alarm is loud ....Hope arm is better for you soon,take care.

Medievil?

Medievil?

Medievil??????? Like with whips and chains???????? I love this kind of stuff!!!!!!!!! Just promise to make me bleed!!!!!!! It'll only be a problem if my blood is....well, you know where this could be going. Oops, it's time to go take my evening dose of Coumadin so I don't clog up.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back