Strange little foot hematoma

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pem

Hello and Happy Holidays!

I haven't posted in a while so I hope everyone is doing well.

Yesterday, I was sitting awkwardly in a chair such that I think I was putting pressure on my foot in an unusual way. I stood up quickly and stepped on my foot only to feel a sharp pain followed by some burning and stinging (under the outside ball of my foot). I didn't think much of it, but after a half hour or so, I noticed it had swollen up. At first I thought maybe it was a spider bite or something, but then I realized it was bruised on the inside and starting to turn black and blue. I iced it and it stabilized and today the swelling is down a bit and it just looks like an old bruise (less swollen, but more black and blue).

Coincidentally, I checked my INR at home yesterday before this happened and it was in range (2.7). By the way, I take 8.5 mg/day of Coumadin.

So I'm wondering if anyone else on coumadin has any relevant advice or experience?

My first thought is that because of how I was sitting, I set myself up for a small vessel rupture, which would have clotted more quickly and bruised less if I weren't on Coumadin. So no big deal. But then it occurred to me that maybe even if my INR is in range, perhaps I'm having some sort of interaction with something I ate that wouldn't show up on a home test. But couldn't think of anything there. Would it make sense to get a lab test today?

That's about it. Thanks and best wishes to all, especially those who are either heading into surgery or recovering from surgery during the holidays!

pem

As long as you didn't fracture a small bone, you should be fine.
Apply ice for 20 minutes, off for 20 on again for 20 minutes for the next couple of days.

Last week I did something similar to the back of my hand while pushing snow. It felt like a strong pinch within my glove and there was nothing inside my glove to cause such a thing. It hurt like the dickens. Like you, my hand became swollen and bruised and after 3 days of applying ice the swelling was almost gone and so was the bruising.

As long as you didn't fracture a small bone, you should be fine.
Apply ice for 20 minutes, off for 20 on again for 20 minutes for the next couple of days.

Last week I did something similar to the back of my hand while pushing snow. It felt like a strong pinch within my glove and there was nothing inside my glove to cause such a thing. It hurt like the dickens. Like you, my hand became swollen and bruised and after 3 days of applying ice the swelling was almost gone and so was the bruising.

Thanks, Frediie. Wow - sounds exactly the same. Yeah - I don't think anything is broken.

So I guess this is just par for course when you are on Coumadin. It gave me pause only because I've been on Coumadin for about a year and 1/2 and this is the first time I've noticed anything like this.

Thanks again!
pem

This stuff can occasionally happen. You probably popped a capillary. The warfarin just made it bleed a little more than it would have if you weren't on warfarin. I don't think that drug interactions or any other things could have contributed to this.

Latest posts

Back