Stories About Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While out washing my car, I had some time to think about this.

If Coumadin is well managed, there isn't a big risk for tragic bleeding, right? Why would the risk be any different than a person who was taking a large amount of aspirin, say for arthritis, muscular aches and pains, etc., or someone who was taking other meds which can thin the blood. How about people who take Vitamin E.

Joe's been on it for 25 years, and never had a major bleed related to Coumadin. He doesn't even bleed much when he cuts himself. And he's on the higher "double valver INR" around 3.0.

Garlic

Garlic

Thins the blood:eek: :eek: Should I tell my son..who has been a policeman for 14 years to quit eating anything with garlic in it?Pasta, ect.? He's been in quite a few scrapes, Dive team, ect. and have never known of him to say anything about a heavy bleed. And my best friend's hubby who was taking Vitamin E..passed out..hit head.heavy nosebleed..ect.(taking coumadin for minor heart problem)...Hubby takes 1 aspirin a day (does it on his own) and bleeds at the least little scrape.Not much but enough to look like he got in a cat fight (Not with me:p ) Bonnie

Another version

Another version

Hi Al - I've been a Coumadin user for about 5 months due to a TIA and I expect to be a permanent user because of a mechanical aortic valve yet to be installed. I own a farm, three lovable bird dogs, and I enjoy woodworking, and everthing you can do outdoors. When I first started using Coumadin, I was a little nervous about bleeding and regulation of my INR. The more I read (including the great book you have written), the less concerned I have become. I'm lucky in that both my cardiologist and my dentist are well informed, and both practice Coumadin management in a way that makes me comfortable. I get cut and scraped often on the farm, including a lot of dog nail scrapes when my "girls" get excited and jump on me. I bought an electric shaver when I first started Coumadin, but have reverted back to a safety razor for a closer shave. Sure, it takes me a little longer to stop the flow of blood, but I've learned to stop worrying about it. I will probably never learn to stop worrying about the chances of a stroke if my INR levels are not where they should be. As you know, I appreciate your many contributions to VR.com Chris

My experience

My experience

None of my doctors really told me to completely change my activities, but I didn't do anything "dangerous" before, so maybe that is why. Whenever my INR is on the high side, my card teases me that I shouldn't wrestle or swing from the ceiling fans, but that's really it. However, when it comes to procedures, I am expected to go into the hospital to come off the coumadin and be on a drip. :( When I had my electrophysiology study I was in the hospital for a week, when it could have been out patient.

However, I also did experience what I would call "major bleeding." This past January 28th, I went into the hospital with an ovarian cyst that had burst. Because I was on coumadin (and my INR was even slightly low at the time), it didn't just run its course and absorb back into the body, as most burst cysts do. Instead mine continued to bleed and bleed and bleed, until I ended up with emergency surgery and they had to suck 1500cc of blood from my abdomen, and give me 4 units in a transfusion (my first transfusion ever). However, that does not mean that I am now afraid of bleeding to death at any moment. I continue to prefer my INR to be on the higher end of my range, and would much rather a little bleeding than a clot.

Sorry, Al, if that wasn't really what you were looking for, but it's what I've got.

How bout this one

How bout this one

Al - I talked to my cardio yesterday. He informs me that he has implanted pacemakers before without stopping Coumadin. Chris

Thanks, everyone.

I have to write the report this weeekend, so I won't have time to add any more stories.

Gnusgal - that is a major bleed. Anything two units or more is major. It is also the type of thing that cannot be defended against with warfarin. Whenever someone tells me about a new treatment that doesn't have any side effects I tell them that you can be assured that it has no effect either.

Hi! My cardio is rather cavalier about the whole coumadin thing. He seems no reason for me to stop it for either teeth cleaning or even having my wisdon teeth removed. My medicine bottles just say to not take with other medications without checking first, to wear or carry medical identification, and to not take with grapefruit (!). He just says be sensible about activities, exercise, and eating/drinking habits. Like Rain, my life hasn't really changed much and I have had good INR maintenance now for over 4 years. It sounds as if this trial must involve someone in the law enforcement field if it is a gunshot they are worrying about. Seems they could certainly put such a person in a desk job, but maybe using the warfarin as an excuse for something else which is weasel-like. But I'm only guessing. Hope this helps! Susan:cool:

Al,

I was just told not to eat leafy greens in excess. Just to live as normal as possible and they would make the adjustments that were needed. I have to watch cutting my self. Never go off your coumadin for dental cleaning. I have had some blood in my urine at times but that was adjusted and everything was okay. Would need to go off the coumadin for surgical procedures.

That is about all there is. Never had a serious bleed.

Good Luck with your case.

Best regards,
BECKY

Becky, since you are from Limerick!

There was a woman named Becky
Whose valve went kinda clicky
Stayed on warfarin for cleans
Ate moderate greens
Blood in pee - what the Hecky

Al

Al

If this person is in Law enforcement..there are several jobs he could take..School Resource sp? Officer..My son did this for a year in middle school..loved it.. Kids loved him...Full time traffic officer at any school..Grandson has one at his school..They really know how to stop traffic..direct traffic into schools, out, ect...Many jobs that he could take without worrying about coumadin.. Bonnie

Evidently in this department:
1. You are on full duty or else
2. You can be on limited duty for up to one year
3. Warfarin requires limited duty
4. After 1 year on limited duty you must retire on disbaility.
That is it. No ifs, buts.
You specifically cannot direct traffic or even stand along a parade route if you are on limited duty. That is clearly stated in the policy.

I guess they think the vibrations that you can feel from the drums could result in you bleeding to death internally!!! Seems about as likely as bleeding to death from getting your teeth cleaned doesn't it??

Well lets hope his departments policy is rewritten because it's just plain wrong. Maybe he should seek help through the ADA if all else fails?

I sure wish people would become educated about us. It seems no matter where we turn, something or someone is trying to disrupt us and our lives.

Rules for Gisele

Rules for Gisele

Don't shave your legs with a razor (nurse at New England Medical Center after my surgery) gasp! That was the only thing I was told I couldn't do on Coumadin-of course this was 21 years ago.

Other than that my doc over the years just informed me that sports could be dangerous such a skiing, and I shouldn't attempt to parasail or bungee jump. I was also told to stay off of ladders (can't remember how that one came up).

Good luck with your report Al.

Gisele

As I understand it, he already went to court on ADA and lost and appealed. The appeal was partially overturned.

There are several articles lately showing that the rate of major bleeding is about 1 per 100 patient years. I've had my students working on our clinic records for the past 4 years. We have now looked at about 400 patient years and have had 3 to 5 major bleeding episodes. So ours is about the same. The reason I can't tell if it was 3, 4 or 5 is that they were hospitalized somewhere else and we are trying to reconstruct what the patient said exactly as much as 4 years ago. If the number was 3, then we have 0.75 major bleeds per 100 patient years and if it was 5 then we have 1.25 per 100 patient years. Either way it fits in with what others are reporting.

It is also hard to reconstruct because if a patient's warfarin was stopped because they were getting frail and falling and then they died a month later, does that count as a death for the clinic?

So you see, the answers are not always clear-cut. That is why we can't always give you a definite answer about warfarin.

Latest posts

Back