Still struggling cardio wise running, etc. 2.8 years after Aortic Valve replacement

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Protimenow

Hi Midlife crisis. I had a new pig tissue valve in 2011 (71 age) I was a top Australian Masters distance runner. I still did 66min for 10km at 77age! (2017) I found I was minutes slower per 1km than before my operation. I was told it is because I'm on 'statins' for high cholesterol ! They give muscle weakness. finish Melbourne,Australia 10km 2017. At present - got blood clots in lungs! Will recover.
Wow.

scott.eitman

VR.org Donator
Anyone else experienced this???
Heck yes. I'm a cyclist and after my 2nd, really had low stamina issues when riding. A couple things:
1. Beta Blockers really messed with me...not a fan.
2. I switched to a Whole Foods Plant Based life (read anything Esselstyn either Rip or Caldwell.) I almost gave up cycling in 2017 and then read an Engine 2 book and ended up riding 3,500 miles that year. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan. This diet has worked like a Beta Blocker in reducing my heart rate but without the other side effects.

tom in MO

He’s just a little chunky right now (I am sure a growth spurt and puberty are about to hit and will help) and want to find a good activity for him. Walking and swimming may be the best bet. The crashing in a bike scenario in coumadin makes me steer away from that. His cardiologist is not a fan of falling. ;). Thank you for that thought, he probably doesn’t like it because it is hard at first and even if he got good at it, it still may not be his thing. The school PE class grades the kids in their time improvement when running a mile. Just one, but he hates it.
I wouldn't worry about crashing a bike while on warfarin. Lots of people on this forum ride bikes and eat rat poison :) He needs a helmet but nowadays that's common. You might want to counsel him to wear long pants and sleeves in case he falls, but that still isn't really necessary. Riding a bike can be safer that what happens in gym class (e.g. getting kicked in the shins on purpose during soccer, elbowed in the face in basketball, etc.)

Protimenow

scott.eitman -- you rode 3500 miles on an engine 2 book? That must have been one HELL of a book.

tom in MO - I think that in California, it's a law that bike riders wear a helmet (I may be wrong - a lot of people around me are renting bikes, and none of them has worn a helmet - maybe there's an exception for this type of bike). I, too, wouldn't be all that worried about a kid crashing a bike -- there'll be bruising, and perhaps cuts that take a bit longer to close, but I doubt that any of it can be life threatening if the INR is in range.

Latest posts