Still Kicking

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

I haven't posted for a while, which is due mainly to being really tired and having started the hospital's outpatient rehab program. Whew! Yesterday was 10 minutes on a bike and 17 minutes on a treadmill. This class has everyone on heart monitors, and allows one to be maybe a little more aggressive in recovering.

I haven't had much energy, but that seems to be improving a little each day. I lost several pounds, and am trying hard to just maintain my weight right now.

I can kind of feel the "depression thingie" hovering at my doorstep, and just hope it doesn't decide to come in.

I have been reading some of the postings, and Steve Wieland, I'm glad things are looking up! Ross, I hope your health issues are improving and that you'll be much better soon.

You all take care, and thank you all again for your thoughts, prayers and wishes while my family and I went through this ordeal.
--John

Howdy Neighbor!

Howdy Neighbor!

Nice to hear from you! Hope the remainder of your recovery is much easier!

I'm just 6 days ahead of you, and I feel pretty good today at 3 weeks post-op. I still have some chest pain/pressure especially when lying down, but it's not as bad as it was before!

I also went to Cardiac Rehab yesterday and went 10 min. on the bike and 25 on the treadmill- hmmm I think you'll be passing me up in no time! I used my own treadmill today at home and did another 25 min which seemed harder, I think it's because the incline was only .5 there and mine will only go down to 1.5.

Oh well, hang in there and stop in and say hi once in a while so we don't all get so worried about you!
:) Jean

I don't mean to pester you, I know how tired and worn you are.

As long as someone has at least spoken to you, I can accept that.
I get a little jumpy and nervous when I don't know how someone is doing. That's a me problem, you don't need to feel that you must post. Sorry, but I got worried about ya! ;)

Keep doing what you can and stave off the depression thing. It hit me pretty hard while I was still in the hospital last time. I couldn't tell whether I was crying because I was alive or crying because I didn't think I should be. It really plays with you, so try like mad not to let it in. If it should get to you, please talk to us.

hi john!
i haven't been on alot lately either, with one daughter graduating high school and the other going on a trip cross country, my basket's full!!!!
you sound so wonderful and i'm glad to see how smoothly recovery is going. please try and be patient with it.
try to remember that you just had this MAJOR surgery done and it will take a long time to heal.
as you said, with each new day you should be getting a little stronger. just try and take it easy when you can and rest up too_your body needs its rest as well.
glad to hear you 're doing well. keep it up.
be well, sylvia

Hi John-

Remember that you had an extraordinary surgical experience and your recovery won't be like the normal heart recovery. Expect your body to feel depleted for quite some time. I've seen my husband go through this healing experience many, many times. He's also had some really tough medical things to heal from and one has to have a lot of patience. My husband isn't the patient type, so it's hard for him, LOL.

But magically, the body can and will heal. I like to think of it like downloading a huge picture file, one pixel at a time, eventually it'll get done and you'll have something wonderful. So pretty soon, your body will say "File's done!"

Take care,

Hey John! Glad to hear things are going well. Just proves that there is life after surgery!

By the way, my husband can't give me any information to figure out if our Cochrans are related to your Cochrans. He insists that his grandfather's real first name is Bud! He said he had a hard enough time keeping up with the names of his 6 brothers and sisters! Actually his grandfather's real first name might be Edward, but got that from Bryan's (my husband) brother who probably isn't much more dependable than him. Grandmas were Violet and Eva Rose.

Hey!

So glad to hear from you! It sounds like you are making some progress. I immediately remembered, when you talked about the rehab that you are going to, how much my husband was relieved that he would be monitored during exercise. I think it took a huge load off of his mind, since he didn;t feel good, and didn't want to unknowingly "push the envelope". I think sometimes men have more of a problem than women with this type os recovery. You guys don't want to appear weak, or unwilling to push it a bit, as it wouldn't be the "manly" thing. Those hormones get in the way. So, if you attend a rehab where a nurse can say....slow down, you're going too fast....take it easy.......it takes the pressure off to "perform". In my husbands case....this was the good thing, as his heart rate kep going into the 180's and they had to decrease the amount of walking etc. that he could do a number of times. Still, the beta blocker doesn't control the upper rate now. So for him, it was a perfect situation. Sounds like it is for you as well.

So the bottom line is, welcome back, take it easy. You have been through a MAJOR physical event. Be gentle with your self.

With best wishes,
Marybeth

Hi John,

Great to hear from you and that you are well on the road to recovery.

About men pushing it too hard; don't forget the example of Arnold Schwarznegger (sp??), who blew out his new valve trying to show how macho he was on the hospital Life Cycle shortly after surgery and had to have a redo that almost cost him his life!

That's why rehab is the way to go. Wish I could've had rehab; they wouldn't arrange it for me 'cause they said I was doing too well. Doesn't sound right to me.

I'll have my TEE done this next Monday and will let you guys know the verdict about resurgery. I will be sending the video to Dr. Zehr at Mayo as well for his opinion.

Best wishes for a continued good recovery to make up for that ordeal of a surgery you went through.

Steve

Hi John,
Glad to hear that you're doing well. Everyday will be a little better.
I had much more of a problem with depression than I thought I would. It really helped that my family understood what was going on with me and were supportive. Don't be afraid to get some professional help if you have problems coping. I met with the staff psychologist at my hospital and she was very helpful with advice on how to deal with it.
Good luck.
:)

Great progress!

Great progress!

Sounds really good John, I think I 've been able to stave off any depression by spending a lot of time outside. I do all of my exercise outside and also a lot of resting outside also. It's great to hear you are getting back to normal after all you've been through.

Brooks McIntyre
Synergraft AVR 5/23/2002
Dr. Zehr , Mayo Clinic

Hi Brooks-

That's very interesting. There are studies and I think it's pretty much a given that intense light like that which is outside (10,000 footcandles, about) can help depression as much as antidepressants. Much more fun too.

There are even lights you can buy for the winter time. You spend a few minutes in front of them and it helps tremendously.

No fooling.

Latest posts

Back