Steve C.'s Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

steve c

Hi, this is Mia, Steve's wife. He had his Aortic Valve Replacement surgery yesterday. He was in surgery for 3 hours. Everything went fine, just one little snag where the doctor thought he might have to go back into surgery to stop some bleeding, but that stopped on it's own. He's doing really well today and is feeling much better than he thought he would be. He's already been sitting up and eating regular food. He'll be up walking tomorrow. He should be home on the weekend. I don't know when he'll be able to sign on so if anyone wants to send him any greetings, you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I will pass them on to him. Thank you!

GREAT NEWS!

GREAT NEWS!

Mia,

Thanks for keeping us posted in the midst of all you are now shouldering. We truly appreciate you family members who include us in the chain of news. Thank you!

Wonderful!!

Wonderful!!

Mia, What great news. Really short surgery! Here's to recovery. Good Luck Steve, Keep up the good work.

Leslie D
Aortic Stenosis
Ross Procedure 7/26

That's great news, Mia. Glad to read your husband is doing well after surgery. You hang in there too...Congratulations on a successful surgery. Take Care!

Good news

Good news

Hi Mia,
My dad just had surgery on Wed. I am happy to hear the good report on Steve. Tell him he will be in our prayers. Sounds like he is on the fast track to recovery!!
Cindy

Mia and Steve

Mia and Steve

Congrats! Now comes the fun recovery period!
Hope the recovery is a speedy one!
-Mara

Mia and Steve

Mia and Steve

Wonderful wonderful news!! Wow, Mr. Speedy Recovery man here. Hope his climb continues without pause. The very best to you both!

Hi All!

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes!

As my wife stated, all went pretty well. There was some bleeding which was sort of stubborn when it came time to stop (I'm told sometimes common and possibly related to what I believe was an IV anti-coagulant). This did stop before they had to go in and get at it.

The only other concern was that my valve was so calcified (worse than the surgeon thought) and they wanted to be sure that the risk of having some calcification floating around my system from valve removal (possibly causing a stroke) would pass and no longer be a concern.

I was fortunate that these issues passed relatively quickly.

Since returning home I find sternum soreness (more of a discomfort), the fact that I have difficulty sleeping and occasional base-of-skull pain to be my only "complaints".

I have been told that these are all related to the fact that they sawed through my sternum and that my torso is now "paying the price". Pain relievers help. Just gotta do my walks and have patience.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Steve

Three cheers!

Three cheers!

Hi Steve --

Bravo on making it through! Your situation and symptoms sound much like mine. I think the sternum issues go with the territory. I am inching back towards more regular sleep patterns but not sweating it. "Base of skull" pains with me take the form of a kickup of my historical migraines, but happily at a pretty mild pain level. I walk a bit more every day. So upward and onward?

Peter

hey steve,
so glad to hear you are doing well and on your way to recovery. must be great to be home, right?

peter,
you also sound like you're coming along well.

it's so encouraging to hear this from you guys. gives future avr candidates hope!

thanks and keep up the great recovery!
be well,
sylvia

Thanks Folks!

It's interesting. If you would have asked me the day before my surgery how I would feel 11 days post-op, I would have told you "a lot worse than I feel today". Overall, it's really quite remarkable. Once I figure out the best way to position myself for sleeping (by the way, I cheated last night and rolled on my left side for a few minutes and, suprisingly, I didn't jump through the ceiling) I think all will be even better.

Now I know I'm going to get impatient and want to be normally active again real soon. A four-month old and a 21 month-old will have that effect on a person.

The bottom line is, though, that I now have a better shot and spending MORE active time with them, so being patient really should be simple.

Will Talk,

Steve

Lazy Boy luxury

Lazy Boy luxury

Feel the same way, Steve! In addition, I have LOVED my Lazy-Boy recliner. Never knew something could make you feel so comfortable and relaxed in the one position I can presently lie in. I don't even mind lying awake at night. We couldn't afford to buy a Lazy Boy and I couldn't find a reasonable rental deal. But a friend loaned me one and I plan, as a sort of rental or contribution, to buy a swivel base to complement it (about $50) before I give it back (regretfully!)

Peter

glad you're home and well

glad you're home and well

:) Hi Steve..WOW!! you sure broke speed records with your surgey..I guess you need to try out for the Valve Olympics!! LOL
Listening to you and Peter sure gives me more confidence for next Friday's surgery..THANKS GUYS!! This forum is such a help when you share your experiences. Our nice new recliner has arrived and it was reading posts here that prompted me to spend the big $$$ in hopes of getting some comfort when I get home..I'm sure it was money well spent..I wish Peter..that I had a friend who could have lent me one..I hated to spend that money for something that I never really wanted to buy:rolleyes:
Keep walikn and I'm sure that you will be feeling stonger every day
Joan

Steve
What a wonderful recovery!! No one ever believes that it can be tolerable, and that it is rarely as horrible as one thinks! But its true! I think a certain little part of that, is the near hysteria over being alive! I was so darned happy, i couldnt quit smiling! Even when I did roll over on my left side!!

A recliner is the only way to go. Good for you for getting one, by hook or by crook. I also found that propping with LOTS of pillows when I finally just wanted to lay DOWN worked. If only we had those wonderful side rails on our beds at home! They make it easy to turn, right??

I'm actually getting daring and tossing out one pillow every several nights...Still wish I can sleep through the night, however, but even that's somewhat improving.

Hey Steve.
It's been two months since my surgery and I am still using a lot of pilows, about 4. But, I can sleep comfortably on either side and sort of on my stomach...
It all gets better with time!

Glad you are doing so well.
-Mara

Have you sneezed yet!??

Have you sneezed yet!??

Once you overcome this big post-op hurdle that you think is going to rip you apart you're home free!

Congratulations on such a speedy recovery, Steve.

The ol' LazyBoy provides a lot of comfort. Mine has a heater which makes me feel like a well done turkey after I wake up from a snooze.

Hindsight for me was not knowing a darn thing about vr.com while I recovered at home! I don't recall many details of my weeklong home recovery (except the vampire bat that visited me almost daily, but she WAS very nice and very professional!).

Hang tough, buddy. You're doin' great!

Latest posts

Back