Sternum Soreness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc_kowal

So I'm 7 months out of AVR surgery and aside from a few light-headed episodes here and there, in general I feel good. I was wondering how long it took some of you to finally have the soreness go away in your sternum.

It seems like if I'm laying on my side with my head propped up by my arm, my sternum gets sore, or if I'm in a position where my shoulders are rolled forward for too long. It doesn't happen in every position, walking around and lifting things are ok, and I was wondering if it will get to the point where it won't bother me. Just curious and thanks!

Oh, you may feel aches for 12 months! I especially had problems with the chest muscles when doing any weight work for just ages. Try to do some stretching every day, now that you are mostly healed.

Of course, some aches may last longer than that. When I work in the kitchen for a couple hours, or do similar things my back starts screaming much earlier these days than it did before someone trussed me like a roast turkey. I swear that's from the surgery. Or maybe that's just age.

I'm almost to 12 months and I'm still having sternum 'aches', though, for me it has been a bit different in the healing process. I had sharp pain in two spots around my sternum in the moths following my surgery, so they removed most of the wires three months ago. No more sharp pain now, but still some aching. I have found that posture is a big thing for me as well. If I don't watch myself sitting in front of a computer at my desk (my job) I can irritate it more than doing a bunch of lifting. Sleeping on my side has progressed to the point I don't notice any discomfort or think about it anymore -- the thinking about it probably made me 'feel' it longer than I needed to. Sounds like you're well down the road to having it all go away. Best of luck to you.

I was four years out from my first OHS when I learned I needed a second.
I was at pre op surgeon's appointment and told him I had soreness in my sternum still the four years later. I was particularly weather sensitive and before rain or snow, it ached very uncomfortably.

He told me he would do his best to determine the cause during my second surgery and try to make it better this time.
He succeeded. A top Mass General surgeon and I know he was happy he was able to make me more comfortable.

Had I not had the second surgery, most likely I would still have that discomfort. I never did learn the reason for it and sadly, my surgeon has passed away.

I am just 5 weeks post op here, and of course I still have soreness. I am still sleeping in the recliner, though I do get the bright idea to try the bed every few nights- it usually is not successful for over a few minutes. There is also some slight coughing which is uncomfortable. With that said, it is so much better than even 2 weeks ago, and I look for every week to get better. I still tire pretty quickly, but at nearly 66, I guess some of that is to be expected. I am walking more and trying to do a little more each week. At least I have the assurance it does get better, except in cases of trouble with the wires, etc. Good luck to you.

I had episodes of lower sternum soreness, followed by similar soreness in same area of back, or happening vice versa. Either way soon after any pressure to the ribs would hurt. This started at about five weeks and lasted continuously for almost two weeks. Afterwards it would go away but come back again after about four days and last for about a day and a half.

The last I remember any such discomfort was mid July which would be 8 months after surgery. I also stopped metoprolol soon after, so it may have been a factor. Since then, the only thing bothering me at all is the top wire which kind of annoys me several times a day. Those too should be gone within several weeks.

14 weeks post-surgery for me. I sleep on my side which allows my chest muscles to scrunch up overnight. When I wake up in the morning, I have a little soreness in the middle until I stretch. After that - no problem. I'm sure it's soft tissue tenderness rather than sternum bone pain in my case.

Hi,

I remember my first surgery in 2001, I was in agony the first few weeks with my sternum. It eventually got easier. Even in the 2nd year I was still getting aches in the sturnum, then it went and never had them again.

Im now 3.5 weeks post op 2nd surgery, been less pain this time, but had lots of aches and sore around top of ska area and collarbone. It`s still early days so alls good.

Lee

Latest posts

Back