Sternum pain and SOB - related? Costocondritas?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielB

Hello everyone.

I am coming up on (16) weeks post AVR surgery and have been having increased sternum pain and shortness of breath in the last four weeks and am wondering if the two are related or just what the heck is up. My sternum pain turned to what I would call 'discomfort' about six weeks after surgery, but has never completely gone away. I assumed, as did my doctor, that the physical therapy I was doing to relieve some shoulder pain was to blame, but now that the PT has ended it was an issue my doctors wanted to keep an eye on. I went back to work full time a month ago (a desk job) and since then my sternum pain has increased, but more to the left side, not the middle as it was after surgery. The odd thing is, that in this time frame during my daily walks I have occasional SOB when I walk uphill. Not every day, only some. The only thing I can see that impacts this is that it does not seem to happen when I am taking my Vicodin pain meds, only when I am more than four hours from my last dose. I have read where sternum inflammation, sometimes called Costocondritas, can also mimic heart attack symptoms, but geez, this seems like a real set back to me as the SOB is worse than at any time before or after my surgery. Thankfully, it does pass very quickly. I am on a pretty good daily dose of Metoprolol (100 mg) and my BP has been low since surgery (for me) at 110/75, is that tells anyone anything.

I saw my doctor last week and, after talking to my surgeon, he ordered a chest x-ray, but that did not tell him anything so I had a CT scan yesterday, both looking at my sternum. He did tell me he suspects inflammation as far as the sternum pain, but has not adressed the SOB yet. I should also add I had a stress test in late February and it was all clear. I expect to hear from my doc today or tomorrow with the CT results.

My gut feeling is that I have a couple of things at work here and would really appreciate opinions from anyone who has had similar experiences.

Thanks,

Dan

I had costochondritis after my first surgery. Felt like someone was stabbing me with a hot poker when I breathed in or moved. I didn't really have sob, I just didn't want to breathe because of the pain. I had high dose ibuprofin and steriods for about a week and it resolved.

Thanks for the reply dfelder. Unfortunately, with my mechanical valve, I am very limited on anti-inflamatorty drugs that I can take. Breathing does not hurt, but there is a ded=finate area that is tender to the touch and where the pain always starts before spreading out. I'm resting as much as possible to see if that helps.

I recall ones of our members, Mentu talking about costocondritis (sp?). Hopefully, he will be able to chime in to share his experience.
Good luck!

.................. did tell me he suspects inflammation as far as the sternum pain, but has not adressed the SOB yet. I should also add I had a stress test in late February and it was all clear. I expect to hear from my doc today or tomorrow with the CT results.

My gut feeling is that I have a couple of things at work here and would really appreciate opinions from anyone who has had similar experiences.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, demand a blood culture NOW to rule out any staph/MRSA infection it was my spiraling SOB that first reflected trouble for me ......hospitals are a great place to get an infection

Infection_hospital_cartoon.jpg

Greg, you couldn't be more right. MRSA is a bear and no matter how many times the doctor's tell you that they have beaten it, it might still rear its ugly head. Take Care and stay on top of your health and healing.

Good idea, I had not really considered infection this far out from surgery, but I'll sure put that on my list for the doctor. I'm trying to at least talk to him today to discuss all this.

Another interesting side note. I purchased a pulse oximeter last night and did a test just now where I exercised until I was out of breath then checked my O2 and pulse. My O2 was fine (98%), but my pulse had dropped to 53 from it's normal 75. Opposite of what I was expecting. Any thoughts on that?

Dan

UPDATE: My doctor has ruled out infection in that my temperature is normal and stable. The CT scan of my sternum came up with no abnormalities, so he's sending me back to my surgeon's PA, I suspect to discuss the wires, etc for the pain issue. I see him next week.

The interesting part is the SOB. As I briefly described above, I discovered that with exertion (walking up a hill) or just getting up from sitting for an hour or so, the SOB comes on. When I check this with my pulse/oximeter my O2 is 96%+ but my heart rate drops to 46-48 for about 15 seconds, then, the thing I have since learned, like a switch was thrown, it jumps right up to 75-80 range and all is normal. Happens every time. My PCP has turned that issue over to my cardiologist who has now ordered a holter monitor for me to see for himself. I still suspect the Metoprolol, but, from what I've read, this does seem odd . I'm holding off on exertion in the mean time. I'll keep you posted.

Anyone else had symtoms like this?

Dan

UPDATE: My doctor has ruled out infection in that my temperature is normal and stable. The CT scan of my sternum came up with no abnormalities, so he's sending me back to my surgeon's PA, I suspect to discuss the wires, etc for the pain issue. I see him next week.

EVERYONE is relieved to hear this and I mean EVERYONE

Obama.JPEG-05f5f.jpg

The interesting part is the SOB. As I briefly described above, I discovered that with exertion (walking up a hill) or just getting up from sitting for an hour or so, the SOB comes on. When I check this with my pulse/oximeter my O2 is 96%+ but my heart rate drops to 46-48 for about 15 seconds, then, the thing I have since learned, like a switch was thrown, it jumps right up to 75-80 range and all is normal. Happens every time. My PCP has turned that issue over to my cardiologist who has now ordered a holter monitor for me to see for himself. I still suspect the Metoprolol, but, from what I've read, this does seem odd . I'm holding off on exertion in the mean time. I'll keep you posted.

Anyone else had symtoms like this?

Dan

Dan,I canniot walk up the slightest incline today but that is due to the flap created for me post sternectomy but it was also true pre sternectomy

Latest posts

Back